What’s the Best Fire Extinguisher? Having a fire extinguisher in your home or business is a wise idea. You want to combat small fires before they turn into big ones that can totally devastate your life and livelihood.
Fire extinguishers come in all shapes and sizes with varying features. Some are small and compact while others are quite large. A small extinguisher is great for the RV or boat while a larger model is perfect to have on hand in public spaces or businesses.
How To Choose a Fire Extinguisher
There are many considerations to make when buying a fire extinguisher, and you shouldn’t simply purchase the first product you find.
You want to make sure the fire extinguisher you choose meets all safety standards. It’s important to buy from a trusted company so you know that the extinguisher will work during your time of need.
Types of Fire Extinguishers
Did you know that there are several types of fire extinguishers each designed to target different fires? Here are some important factors to remember so you choose the right extinguisher for the job.
These are red bottles that aren’t suitable for flammable liquids or in areas where there’s liquid, but you should check the material and object that’s in question before using a red fire extinguisher.
These are cream bottles that are versatile and used for more types of fires – including Class A and B.
You’ll find black bottles for these fire extinguishers, and they’re used for electrical appliances. However, if you notice a fire in an electrical environment, you should bear in mind that these don’t come equipped with any post-fire security measures, so call your emergency services to make the area safe again.
Dry powder fire extinguishers are labeled in a blue bottle are used on Class A, B, and C fires. You shouldn’t use these indoors since they can impact your vision and damage any appliances and machinery.
You’ll find these in yellow bottles, and they’re designed to target fires with cooking fats and oils. Most restaurants and kitchens feature these products to keep you safe in the event of a fire.
How To Use a Fire Extinguisher
Buying a fire extinguisher is one thing but you need to know how to safely and correctly use it in the event of a fire. Generally speaking, they shouldn’t be used by anyone who wasn’t a trained professional. But in an emergency make sure you sound the fire alarm before picking up the fire extinguisher so everyone can get out of the building safely.
Begin by selecting the appropriate fire extinguisher from our guideline above. Pull the pin to break the tamper seal. Next, aim the extinguisher low, pointing directly at the base of the fire for the best results. If you’re using a carbon dioxide extinguisher, be cautious of your skin touching the chemical as it can get cold and cause damage.
When you’re ready to release the chemical, squeeze the handle and the agents will pour out of the extinguisher. It’s important that you use the correct motion when using the extinguisher by sweeping from side to side to quickly and effectively take out the fire.
The Top 10 Best Fire Extinguishers To Buy
So, with all the fire extinguishers on the market, which one do you choose? We’ve put together of the top 10 best extinguishers that Amazon has to offer to help you answer that question.
These models have the best reviewers and feedback to give you peace of mind. We understand the importance of having a high-quality extinguisher on hand.
So, are you ready to check out our top 10 list of fire extinguishers? Great! Let’s get started.
Table of Contents
- How To Choose a Fire Extinguisher
- How To Use a Fire Extinguisher
- The Top 10 Best Fire Extinguishers To Buy
- 10. First Alert Fire Extinguishing Spray
- 9. Kidde Fire Extinguisher
- 8. First Alert Fire Extinguisher
- 7. Amerex Fire Extinguisher
- 6. Mini Firefighter Fire Extinguisher
- 5. First Alert Gas/Oil/Grease/Electrical
- 4. Fire Command Fire Spray
- 3. Buckeye Fire Extinguisher
- 2. First Alert Marine Fire Extinguisher
- 1. AFO Fire Ball
- Why We Chose the AFO Fire Ball for Our #1 Spot
10. First Alert Fire Extinguishing Spray
First Alert Tundra fire extinguishing spray comes in a 1 or 2 pack. The spray is loaded into an aerosol can for convenient fire extinguishing.
This product is perfect for the RV, boat, or kitchen. It deploys a 4x greater discharge time vs. traditional fire extinguishers.
You’ll love the easy-to-use aerosol can and spray nozzle design. Plus, the product is easy to clean up. Simply wipe it away with a damp cloth. The product is biodegradable.
- Ideal for common household fires
- The can is portable and ideal for any room in your home, RV, garage, and boat
- Extinguishes paper, fabric, wood, grease, and electrical fires
- Can not be sold in the Catalina Islands
- Does not put out fires associated with lithium-ion batteries
9. Kidde Fire Extinguisher
This multi-purpose fire extinguisher fights class A, B, and C fires and is UL rated 1-A: 10-B:C. It is suitable for most household fires.
The easy-to-read gauge tells you when the fire extinguisher is fully charged and ready to be used. Simply, pull the safety pin and the commercial grade metal valve and trigger to deploy contents.
Surprisingly, this container is very lightweight and constructed of durable metal that has been approved by the US Coast Guard.
- Recommended by fire experts for proven protection
- Has been approved by the National Fire Protection Association and Underwriters Laboratories
- 6-year warranty
- Plastic Valve tends to lose pressure over time
- Reports that the unit does not come with a factory seal
8. First Alert Fire Extinguisher
For a reasonable price, you can have a highly-durable, all metal construction, commercial grade fire extinguisher with metal valve and trigger.
This extinguisher is rated for use in ABC class fires such as trash, wood, paper, liquids, and electrical equipment.
The unit meets all OSHA, dot, and bureau of motor carrier standards. Even the Coast Guard approves this fire extinguisher.
Includes mounting bracket and easy to read pressure gauge. The color-coded gauge is easy-to-read, corrosion-resistant, and provides accurate measurement, as reported by Amazon.
- Features a SureGrip trigger
- Is able to fight gasoline and oil fires
- Pressure gauge ensures the extinguisher is ready to use when an emergency strikes
- No return policy
7. Amerex Fire Extinguisher
The Amerex Chemical Fire Extinguisher is meant for ABC dry chemicals and much more. For use on Class A (ordinary combustibles), Class B (Flammable liquid) spills or Fires involving live electrical equipment (Class C).
The discharge time is a super fast 14 seconds.
The container is made from all metal, including the valve, which is aluminum.
A wall bracket is included with this fire extinguisher.
check out the product description from the manufacturer, “For class A, B, and C fires (those likely to be caused by dry combustibles, flammable liquids, and live electrical equipment) this dry chemical fire extinguisher offers easy maintenance and service. It contains a mono-ammonium phosphate dry chemical and aluminum valve.
Fire Extinguisher, Dry Chemical, Class ABC, UL Rating 3A:40B:C, Capacity 5 lb., Extinguish Agent Type Monoammonium Phosphate, Height 15-1/4 In., Diameter 4 In., Cylinder Material Steel, Operating Pressure 195 psi, Discharge Time 14 sec., Range Max. 18 ft., Bracket Included Wall, Handle Material Aluminum, Valve Material Aluminum, Rechargeable Yes, Disposable No, Standards UL 299/UL 711″.
- Rated very high at – 3A:40BC
- The device handles well, as reported by satisfied customers
- Easy to mount
- Reports of the tamper seals being broken
- The plastic strip which prevents loss of the safety pin is super stiff and actually pulls the pin out of place
6. Mini Firefighter Fire Extinguisher
This tiny little can delivers big fire-fighting results! It is capable of stopping 4 types of fires like Wood (Class A), Gasoline (Class B), Electrical (Class C), and Oils and Fats (Class K).
The design is so versatile that you’ll want to keep them all over your home. They are super handy under the kitchen sink, besides the grill, your office, and even in the garage.
Here is what the manufacturer has to say about the convenience and efficacy of this fire extinguisher, “Eliminates flames by suffocating and cooling fire core to prevent re-ignition. Unique foam formula expands up to 40X its size”!
- Easy to clean up by simply wiping with a damp cloth. Leaves no messy residue behind
- Non-toxic, non0irritating, and biodegradable formula
- Trusted by homeowners and fire professionals around the world
- Complaints that the foam smells bad
- Some worries over whether there is enough product to actually put out a considerable fire
5. First Alert Gas/Oil/Grease/Electrical
This fire extinguisher packs a deadly punch to hard-to-put-out fires of the Gas/Oil/Grease/Electrical nature.
It comes with a convenient mounting bracket for the placing the unit in an easily accessible area. You’ll also appreciate the large, easy-to-read pressure gauge.
If you are experiencing a flammable liquid or live electrical fire this extinguisher will quickly snuff it out.
- Built with extra stability to prevent damage in a vehicle
- Mounts easily
- 5-year limited warranty
- Only a single use extinguisher and is not rechargeable
- Some users have experienced leakage after first use
4. Fire Command Fire Spray
This small aerosol can surprise you with its might! It is able to spray further than most cans of its kind and for longer durations of time.
You’ll be amazed by how quickly this product can put out a fire. The fast-acting foam spray expands, smothers, and covers to snuff out flames, fast.
Enjoy the compact and convenient design of this product that can fit anywhere in your home or office. It is also very easy to use.
Perfect for your vehicle, RV, boat, garage, and while camping, too.
- The biodegradable formula that is safe, non-corrosive, and environmentally friendly
- Shoots up to 10 ft. and sprays for about 60 seconds
- Has a shelf life of 3 years
- Cannot be sold or shipped to California
3. Buckeye Fire Extinguisher
You can order it in lots of 1 unit all the way up to 5. Perfect for commercial use.
The canister is made from metal as is the valve. This unit is rechargeable.
You’ll have peace of mind knowing that the product is UL approved and meets all safety standards. It has received a 4A:80B:C rating.
Here are some specs as listed by the manufacturer, “Operating Pressure: 195 psi Discharge Time: 20 to 24 sec. Range Max.: 21 ft. Height: 21” Valve Material: Metal Extinguish Agent Type: Monoammonium Phosphate Standards: UL Listed
Bracket Included: Wall Class: ABC Extinguisher Type: Dry Chemical Hose Included: Yes Capacity: 10 lb. Diameter: 5-1/8″ Handle Material: Aluminum Country of Origin (subject to change): United States.
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed or your money back
- Perfect for all environments including a personal residence, office buildings, garages, schools, etc.
- UL approved
- Heavy, weighs 18.25 pounds
- A bit on the expensive side
2. First Alert Marine Fire Extinguisher
If you are the proud owner of a boat, this fire extinguisher is for you. It has been specifically formulated to extinguish marine-type fires.
You’ll be impressed by the durable metal head design that meets your most demanding needs. The corrosion resistant metal gauge is easy-to-read and color codes so you always know accurate measurements.
The unit features a metal pull pin safety seal to help prevent accidental discharge. This feature also discourages tampering.
- Comes with a secure extinguisher mount and brackets for easy placement
- Easy instructions with a chemical resistant and waterproof label with 4-step instructions won’t deteriorate
- The white color of canister matches typical marine coloring
- A reviewer claims the extinguisher was “poorly packed” upon arrival
1. AFO Fire Ball
This amazing fire extinguisher made it to our top spot because of its unique and innovative design. Instead of a traditional fire extinguisher that comes in a canister with a trigger valve, this unit is a ball that you simply toss into the flames.
It is handheld and very easy to use. It weighs less than 3 pounds and requires no user training.
It is safe for use on Class A (ordinary combustibles), Class B (Flammable liquid) spills, Class C (energized electrical fires).
- The ball is self-activating. Toss the ball into the fire and it begins to work within 3-5 seconds
- Each fireball comes with a vibrant red and white vinyl adhesive sign that is sure to catch the attention – in case of an Emergency in your area
- Environmentally safe – non-toxic around people and animals
- Is not UL listed
Why We Chose the AFO Fire Ball for Our #1 Spot
Honestly, we hope you never have to use any of these fire extinguishers, but unless you can predict the future, you won’t know if you have to until the time comes.
With that being said, it is wise to have a fire extinguisher in your home, office, and RV/Boat. We like all of the extinguishers on our list, especially the First Alert Fire Extinguishing Spray. this product comes in a small, aerosol can that is perfect for the kitchen or RV/Boat.
We are also partial to the Buckeye Fire Extinguisher as these units are great for battling large, commercial-type fires.
We had to make a top choice so we decided to go with the AFO Fire Ball. This device is super easy to use and you don’t need to train yourself how to deploy it during a fire. The ball is simply tossed into the flames and self-activates within seconds. We are super impressed by the innovative and unique design.
Which fire extinguisher from our list will you choose?