When it comes to choosing a new water heater, there are many considerations to take into account. There are multiple options including heaters with tanks, or tankless heaters.
You need to decide if you are going to replace your existing unit or simply supplement your current unit. If you are looking to decrease your home’s water usage or energy bill, you will want to explore the types of water heaters that are specifically designed to save energy and be eco-friendly.
It is important to realize that 20% of our household’s annual energy expenditures come from heating water. When looking to install a new water heater, or replace an old one, you should carefully compare the type, efficiency level and size of the unit as it will have a great effect on performance and savings.
Water heaters now come powered by heat pumps and solar power, but the most common are tankless water heaters and heaters with tanks.
The location of your water heater and size of the installation area should also be taken into consideration.
Here is a review of the top 10 best electronic water heaters available on the market in 2019.
Table of Contents
- 10. Stiebel Eltron Mini 2-1 Tankless Electric Water Heater
- 9. Eccotemp EM Electric 2.5-Gallon Mini Tank Water Heater
- 8. IHEAT S-12 Electric Tankless Water Heater
- 7. Marey ECO110 Tankless Electric Water Heater
- 6. Atmor Tankless Electric Instant Water Heater
- 5. Ariston GL4S Electric Mini-Tank Water Heater
- 4. Stiebel Eltron Tempra 24 Plus Electric Tankless Water Heater
- 3. Rheem RTE 13 Electric Tankless Water Heater
- 2. EcoSmart ECO 27 Electric Tankless Water Heater
- 1. Eccotemp L5 Portable Tankless Water Heater
- Which Electronic Tankless Water Heater Should You Buy?
10. Stiebel Eltron Mini 2-1 Tankless Electric Water Heater
Stiebel Eltron Tempra 25 is a tankless water heater that can be used to replace a conventional water heating system. It provides multiple points-of-use applications and is used for heating water for residential houses.
The Tempra 25 model is the most popular of the Stiebel Eltron line of tankless water heaters. It is known for its reliable and advanced technology. It can reduce energy use up to 20% in comparison with a standard tank.
Because of the tankless technology, Stiebel Eltron Tempura is able to provide an endless supply of hot water and takes up less area than a conventional water heater. The thermostatic temperature control allows for constant and accurate water temperature at all times.
- Through the microprocessor technology, temperature control is achieved through monitoring the flow and through the accuracy of the temperature sensors
- Unit modulates and prevents temperature fluctuations and allow constant heating power from minimum to maximum levels
- The sleek design is compact and the tank is encased in coated steel and can be placed almost anywhere in a home
- Some models require a 3X60 amp breaker which takes up a lot of space in the panel. Some panels may need to be upgraded to support those units.
- Installation of the Tempra 25 requires expensive 2X6 wiring.
9. Eccotemp EM Electric 2.5-Gallon Mini Tank Water Heater
Eccotemp EM-2.5 Electric Mini Tank Water Heater is rated on Amazon as a great heater for the price. This mini tank water heater provided hot water by first heating, then storing the water for use. There is no wait for hot water to reach your faucet.
This point-of-use water heater has a 2.5-gallon holding tank that provides on-demand water to any faucet without the wait. It can replace a traditional water heater and helps conserve water and reduce energy bills.
It can be plumbed in series with a central water heater or be used as a booster. It is lightweight, easily installed and because of its small size, can be installed almost anywhere.
- Compact and fits anywhere, comes with floor and wall mountable brackets.
- Does not require expensive re-circulating lines and pumps and has a 24-45 minute recovery time.
- Installs easily with a 120V outlet plug and comes with a 2-year warranty for parts and a 5-year warranty for leaks.
- Limited supply of hot water; must wait if hot water supply runs out.
- Turning it on before water is hot could cause the element to burn out.
8. IHEAT S-12 Electric Tankless Water Heater
iHeat electric tankless water heaters are ideal for point-of-use for small bathrooms or homes in warmer climates. These water heaters can heat water at 2 GPM with an incoming temperature of 71 degrees F. and are ideal for kitchen faucets, showers, and washing machines.
The units are light and small enough to be installed under a sink or bathroom vanity and there is no need for the installation of exhaust pipes.
The units come with a digital display unit that allows you to choose the temperature range between 80 and 125 degrees F. iHeat electric tankless water heaters are affordable and light and coated in a durable powder coated steel.
- Ideal for studios, apartments, pool houses and small homes in warmer climates.
- Digital display offers temperature readings in Celsius and Fahrenheit.
- Units are equipped with New Flow technology and have advanced power modulation through the microprocessor
- Not recommended for use in larger homes or cold climates.
- Can only heat water for one appliance or use at a time.
7. Marey ECO110 Tankless Electric Water Heater
Marey ECO110 220V Tankless Electric Water Heater is ideal for warmer climates. This self-modulating unit should be used in regions where the incoming temperature of the water is above 70 degrees F.
The Marey is constructed with a German high-quality stainless steel heating chamber and water channel. The Smart Technology of the Marey makes it easy to manage and adjustments simple. The LCD panel proves easy programming of water temperatures and optimizes energy usage.
Installation requires a 50 Amp breaker and this unit should be installed by a professional. The Marey maintains a 98% efficiency level for the duration of its use.
- One of the only tankless water heaters that does not accumulate sediments and the water does not touch the heating element.
- Marey provides 11kW of power and is ideal for homes in warmer climates and can accommodate 2 points of use simultaneously.
- The Marey line is built with a corrosion-resistant heating element which reduces chlorine and calcium build-up due to hard water.
- Must be installed no more than 40 feet from point-of-use.
- Should not be used in cold climates where incoming water is less than 70 degrees F. or in large homes.
6. Atmor Tankless Electric Instant Water Heater
Atmor 3kw/110v SINGLE SINK 0.5 GPM Point-Of-Use Tankless Electric Instant Water Heater is an efficient unit that saves energy when heating water. Lower your water bills with this unit as it saves energy by delivering hot water only when you need it.
The Atmor has a flow rate of .5 GPM with a 45 degree F temperature rise. It requires a direct connection to a 30 Amp breaker and a 10AWG wire. The unit includes an aerator for a sink faucet and comes with a pressure relief device.
The unit is compact and can be installed against a wall, under a sink or near the point-of-use. It is designed for a single sink application where the water temperature is at least 57 degrees F.
- Hot water is supplied instantly and water is not wasted because the heating mechanism does not store water.
- The unit is lightweight and compact and can be mounted easily to be unobtrusive or to keep out of the reach of children.
- Do not have to wait for water to heat, the unit is energy efficient and will reduce energy bills.
- The unit does not plug in and may need to be installed by a professional.
- Can only accommodate a single point of use.
5. Ariston GL4S Electric Mini-Tank Water Heater
Borsch GL4S Ariston is a good choice for those considering a mini-tank water heater for limited use. The Borsch provides instant hot water for quick uses like washing hands or dishes. It comes with a 4-gallon capacity which can be used for quick showers.
This unit is easy to install and can be used independently or in-line with an existing hot water heat source. The Borsch weighs 17 pounds and can be mounted on a wall, under a cabinet or sit on the floor. It draws 12.5 amps and can be plugged into a wall outlet.
The tank features a glass lining which protects against the corrosive effects of hot water and has a pressure relief valve that opens if the pressure or temperature gets too high.
- Unit installs easily and requires no hookup. It consumes very little energy and has an external thermostat control for point-of-use.
- Company has a long history, outstanding customer service, and good warranties.
- Good unit for providing instant hot water in limited supplies.
- Requires a dedicated 15A circuit to operate and can only be installed upright.
- Has limited capacity and some reviewers did not see a change in their energy bill.
4. Stiebel Eltron Tempra 24 Plus Electric Tankless Water Heater
Stiebel Eltron Tempra 24 Plus is relatively new on the market and has been redesigned by Stiebel for a better service. New features include a digital temperature control and an Advanced Flow Rate control.
It does have a record of proven reliability and there is no venting required for installation. The sleek design allows it to fit anywhere and you should save 15 to 20% off your electric bill.
Stiebel Tempra 24 Plus is a whole-house heater and has a max GPM rate of 4.0. The advanced flow control ensures constant water temperature with multiple points of use.
- The digital temperature control allows temperature control up to 140 degrees F. and water temperature stays consistent.
- Claimed to be the most technologically advanced tankless water heater on the market today.
- Can be used in warm and cool climates and for multiple points-of-use.
- Requires 2 60-amp circuits for installation.
- Slightly higher priced than other models
3. Rheem RTE 13 Electric Tankless Water Heater
Rheen RTE 13 is one of the more popular brands of tankless water heaters. This unit heats water as needed thus saves water and energy. It is designed for single point-of-use applications and can provide 4 gallons per minute of hot water. It heats water with its brass/copper heat exchanger.
Copper is a good thermal conductor and heats water quickly and distributes the heat evenly. Copper is also resistant to corrosion. The minimum flow rate is .4 GPM to activate this system and the 240-volt electric tankless heater has a modulating power control.
It features an adjustable temperature dial that allows users to easily set the water temperature. Installation of the Rheen RTE 13 requires a 60 amp breaker and 6 gauge wire.
- The compact design of the unit is ideal for homes with limited space as it can fit in an 8 in. by 10 in. area.
- Installation of the unit is easy and can be done by a homeowner with plumbing and electrical experience (requires 60 amp breaker and #6 wire).
- Received 4 out of 5 stars on Amazon for quality and reliability.
- Has output limitations and is best for a single person or one couple.
- Must replace water outlet connections with ½ in. copper pipe to fit into the inlet and outlet.
2. EcoSmart ECO 27 Electric Tankless Water Heater
Ecosmart Eco 27 tankless water heater is produced by Ecosmart, a green energy technology company that specializes in water heating. Consumers can save up to 50% on their water heating bill with their products.
This product is set apart from the rest in that it comes with a lifetime warranty and it can function in cold climates. The self-modulating technology adjusts the energy usage based on need. It can supply hot water to a large home or large hot tub.
It heats 3 gallons per minute and can produce hot water on demand to a temperature of 105 degrees F. It requires a 240-volt electric service and is compact and space saving.
- This unit does a great job heating the water to a consisting temperature.
- The unit is easy to operate and comes with a lifetime warranty.
- Easy to clean and maintain.
- Installation may be complicated and requires a professional as it requires a 220amp service and 3 40 DP breakers.
- There is a slight delay before water comes out hot.
1. Eccotemp L5 Portable Tankless Water Heater
Eccotemp L5 is not just a tankless water heater but can also be a portable outdoor shower. You can take the Eccotemp L5 in trailers, camping or to cabins. It runs off of 2D cell batteries and provides hot water even when you are off the grid.
It raises water temperature up to 35 degrees and has a flow rate of 1.5 gallons per minute. Wash your car, boat or pets or take a hot shower. It has an easy setup and operation by connecting to a garden hose and propane tank.
Burners ignite only when the water is flowing. There are multiple custom settings for the sprayer and the water heater automatically shuts off after 20 minutes of use.
- This unit is battery operated so it can be used in power outages and is portable for travel and outdoor use.
- Accessories are included such as the heater body, gas regulator, vent shield, hardware, hose and shower nozzle and hose adaptor.
- Automatic shutoff provides peace of mind.
- Might not work well in windy conditions.
- Not suitable for large household water heating demands.
Which Electronic Tankless Water Heater Should You Buy?
The most popular and efficient brands of water heaters are tankless and able to provide hot water to more than one point-of-use. You should be careful to consider if the brand of hot water heater you are choosing can be used in your climate as many do not do well in colder climates.
Consider your space and installation needs when choosing a new water heater as well as your demand for hot water. Ecosmart Eco 27 tankless water heater is produced by Ecosmart, is the most efficient powerful unit that can supply hot water on demand and still save on space.