There are many factors included in the design of a great electric skateboard and choosing the one that will suit you is quite hard sometimes. The common practice is the classic longboard style, with a much larger surface area than a standard skateboard. This gives you more room for foot adjustments and helps keep your balance, especially if you are a new skater.
The wheels often tend to be larger in diameter, with much less durable polyurethane material, helping your wheels stick to the road. The wheels come in a range of different strengths, look for the durometer which will determine how hard your wheel is. All wheels will be able to take most little bumps and stones in the road but if you are looking for a more rounded experience, then the all-terrain, rubber tires let you handle whatever ground you’re riding, with ease. Every wheel can all be replaced along with the bearings to tune a much faster skateboard. These fantastic designs really help you kick back and enjoy the scenery, as you coast along the sunset strip.
Each one ranges in price and all come with a remote control that only takes a few hours to charge! The remote has an on/off switch, so you can still ride them like a normal longboard. Not a good idea if you’re going to try anything on the ramps, as the motor is located on the bottom of the boards and will break if it encounters a considerable amount of force. The remote control is a great piece of ergonomic genius, really allowing you to gauge the speed you’re going, with the subtle brakes allowing you to stop at a pace that feels comfortable. The easy-to-use handheld remote controls allow you to control your speed, braking, and even cruise control. Some even give you constant data, to check on your current speed and what battery level you have left. Perfect for planning your travels accordingly. Hills are no problem for these machines, as they can conquer a slight or gradual hill. Going downhill with a motor can be quite nerve-racking, so the easy on/off switch on the remote, allows you to take control of your board, granting you to ride it like a standard board, preventing the board from slipping out underneath you. You get a reverse function from some boards which isn’t necessarily included in all other similar boards.
These well-rounded skateboards may be completely different from what you have skated before, but you will be able to hop on and learn it in a very short amount of time. These electric skateboards really help you focus on the turning and balance you have over the board, while you stay in motion. It takes a specific type of skill to use these boards and will take a while to perfect this technique.
By now you have probably seen an electric skateboard or two zipping around your neighborhood. If you are looking for one that far surpasses all others on the market, we can help you narrow down your search.
We’ve spent countless hours researching electric skateboards before finally settling on some of the top versions out there. We tested each board out ourselves, paying close attention to quality, speed and total range.
Other important features include how easy it is to maneuver a certain board, whether or not it is pre-assembled and the type of customer service that comes along with the board you buy.
Let’s take a look at the top 10 best electric skateboards on the market in 2019.
Table of Contents
- Skateboard Wheels
- Remote Control
- 10. Yuneec E-GO2 Electric Longboard Skateboard
- 9. Dynacraft Surge Electric Skateboard
- 8. KooWheel D3M+ Edition Electric Skateboard
- 7. Maverix USA Cruiser 600W Skateboard
- 6. ACTON Blink Lite Electric Skateboard
- 5. Maverix USA Border X 800W Skateboard
- 4. OASIS Cruiser
- 3. Airwheel M3 Electric Longboard Skateboard
- 2. Maxfind Electric Skateboard
- 1. SWAGTRON SwagBoard NG-1 Electric Longboard
- Which Electric Skateboard Should You Buy?
10. Yuneec E-GO2 Electric Longboard Skateboard
This board is not designed for performance but rather for fun and enjoyment because of its longboard design. Other models are designed for speed while the E-GO2 was designed to be reliable for long rides.
It comes with a four hundred watt motor that can provide as much as twelve miles per hour of speed and eighteen miles or distance (depending on the incline you are boarding at and how much you weight).
- Perfect for running errands or cruising around town if you want to take in the sights around you.
- Compatible with smartphones so you can program your longboard according to speed, tracking your distance and ride mode.
- Long battery life keeps you moving rather than stalled out on the side of the road.
- You won’t be doing tricks or hitting top speeds with this board. It is manufactured for cruising rather than getting your adrenaline pumping.
- A long board itself can be difficult to maneuver and ride because of its larger size.
9. Dynacraft Surge Electric Skateboard
This Surge Electric Skateboard by Dynacraft is very durable and practical for someone who is just starting out in the world of electric skateboards. There isn’t much of a learning curve with this board.
If you have skateboarded before on a traditional board, then you will be ready to hop on this board and go. It comes with three speeds of wireless control and you can reach speeds of about six miles per hour, depending on where you are skating.
- You have enough power to skate for a good amount of time, performing tricks and experimenting a bit before your battery becomes drained.
- An attractive design; this twenty-four volt unit has a sturdy black, alloy frame with bright, lime green wheels.
- A grip tape deck keeps you sturdy on the board as you move.
- This board can only travel at a maximum of about five miles. This product is largely designed for neighborhood use.
- The base is a little wide for a traditional board.
8. KooWheel D3M+ Edition Electric Skateboard
This is the board to buy if you are someone who loves adrenaline and speed. You can harness the power of this three-hundred and fifty watt Hub motor and travel as high as 24.8 miles per hour.
Not to mention, the board itself is designed to be very lightweight (at just about sixteen pounds) so you can easily carry it while you are on the go. The board itself is crafted from a high quality Canadian Maple wood along with Bones Super Reds bearings and PU wheels. It can easily hold about 286 pounds.
- Very easy to use thanks to a newly designed remote control unit.
- Five simple clicks is all it takes to unlock the unit and you can travel as many as twenty-two miles on one single charge.
- Comes with an optional reverse mode, which isn’t typical among all electric skateboards.
- Slightly unusual board design. If you’re used to the traditional look of a skateboard, you may find this one to be a bit unique.
- Acceleration and braking were a bit tough to control with previous models. It seems the manufacturer has improved the design this time around.
7. Maverix USA Cruiser 600W Skateboard
If you are looking for a top of the line long board, the Maverix USA Cruiser is the way to go. You get an impressive six hundred watts of power from a specifically sealed, lead acid battery.
You can trust the manufacture of this design. To instill that confidence, you get a one year, complete warranty on your board.
- Lightweight, it can easily be carried and transported if you are on the go and using this board to get to a few different locations.
- The easy-to-use handheld remote is very simply designed and you will have the hang of it in no time.
- Meant for cruising around town at about sixteen miles per hour. Not designed for top speeds or tricks.
- You may find this board a bit tough to navigate on anything other than smooth, straight surfaces.
This is one of the most lightweight boards around at just under eight pounds. A very compact and durable design, ACTON has packed a good amount of power into a small board. This is a redesigned fishtail shape with LED lighting and optimal cruising control.
You even have the option to pre-set your controls of your board to your expertise level (pro, medium and beginner). The changes between the three levels are very streamlined and you will have an easy time learning this board and using it.
You will get about five miles of range from this board with speeds of about ten miles per hour so while you aren’t getting a ton of distance, you’ll be able to travel relatively fast at least.
- This is currently the lightest electric skateboard on the market. If you are going to be traveling with this board, this is the way to go.
- The LED lights are a nice touch. They’re not over done, but there is enough that they stand out.
- You don’t get a lot of distance from this board and ACTON has a disclaimer that the five mile range was determined by testing on a completely flat, even surface which is optimal but that’s not always what you get when you are out on the road.
5. Maverix USA Border X 800W Skateboard
You can take this electric skateboard from Maverix anywhere your heart desires. Think of riding on the beach, on dirt, gravel, sand, pavement, off roading; it can all be done thanks to these super durable and chunky wheels that you definitely aren’t going to find anywhere else on an electric board.
You get an impressive eight hundred watts of power with speeds of up to nineteen miles per hour. This varies a bit seeing as how this board can travel on some pretty rough terrains.
- Comes with a sealed, lead acid battery that is quick to charge and easy to swap out if need be.
- A one year head to toe warranty is included which is nice considering the various terrains you can use this board on.
- You can switch out the wheels on this board and add street wheels. Really it’s a two-in-one product.
- Some people found the wheels to be a bit awkward and gawky. This board really is designed to experiment and have some fun though. If you are serious about riding, this might not be the option for you.
- Some people found that the battery itself didn’t hold up well to frequent use. The board doesn’t seem to hold a charge for too long and some people report the battery losing its ability to charge over time.
4. OASIS Cruiser
This is the perfect, simply designed electric skateboard. You get fifteen hundred watts of power thanks to a thirty-six volt, 8 Ah Lithium, ion battery. There is a 230 pound weight limit to the board and you’ll get about eighteen miles of distance at that weight and at maximum speeds.
It takes approximately two hours to recharge the board, which we found is pretty typical for the most part amongst all similar electric skateboards. The board itself is pretty lightweight, at eleven pounds.
- Optimally, you can travel at a grade of about thirty degrees before you start to lose power and ability to control the board well.
- Comes with a 2.4GHz, Bluetooth remote with variable speeds.
- Extremely affordable if you compare other similar boards.
- The marketed distance that the board will travel on a full charge doesn’t seem to hold up. On variable terrains, it is likely you’ll get far less distance and speed.
- The board and the wheels are a little bit lower quality than you will find on a higher end board. If you are just starting out with an electric option, this should be adequate for you.
3. Airwheel M3 Electric Longboard Skateboard
This is a well rounded electric skateboard. You may have rode something like this before and are experienced, but if not, you will still be able to hop on and learn how to use it in a short amount of time.
The electric capability lets you focus on other things like properly turning instead of trying to constantly stay in motion. You can really perfect your skill of skateboarding with this board.
You get a reverse function from this board which isn’t necessarily included in all other similar boards. Also, the all terrain rubber tires let you handle whatever terrain you are driving on with ease.
- You get built in damper masses which give you more durability and stability overall.
- You will find these wheels handle the road very well and you won’t experience any skidding or loss of control.
- Supports Bluetooth connectivity.
- You don’t get to select what board you receive when you order it. This is something we’ve never encountered before. The boards come in black and multi-color.
- You are required to do a bit of assembling when your board arrives so don’t plan on hopping on it immediately when it arrives. You may also need to do a full charge cycle before you can use it to its optimal capacity.
2. Maxfind Electric Skateboard
This is the most portable longboard that you are going to find on the market right now. It is very small (without compromising functionality) and light at just 5.5 kg. It has even been approved for air travel so you can take it anywhere in the world that you want to go!
The battery itself can be charged but it can also be swapped out which provides you with double the amount of travel power and distance. Two different riding modes lets you choose how you ride whether you would consider yourself a professional or you are more of a beginner.
- You get a full, twelve month warranty against all manufacturer’s defects.
- The board itself is waterproof and extremely durable.
- You can achieve higher speeds with this board thanks to its very stiff-deck design.
- Perfect for someone who is just starting out with an electric board, but if you are more of an expert with these types of items, you may find the flaws more noticeable.
- Board will feel physically slower and feel as though it is struggling to keep up as you go uphill.
1. SWAGTRON SwagBoard NG-1 Electric Longboard
This Swagtron electric skateboard is designed to go as fast as eleven miles per hour on flat terrain and up to ten miles on just one full charge. You get an easy-to-use handheld remote control that allows you to easily control your speed, braking and even cruise control.
You get constant data on your current speed and what your overall battery level is at so you can plan accordingly as you travel.
- A high quality maple wood deck is topped with a stable and premium grip tape. You will have plenty of traction as you ride.
- SentryShield technology makes this battery easy to use and easy to monitor as well.
- All safety requirements are met and are a priority with Swagtron.
- Customer service seems to be a bit of an issue or hard to reach for a number of consumers assuming you have a problem with the board at some point.
- Has some difficulty pulling you up any type of incline. Easier to use on basic, even terrain.
Which Electric Skateboard Should You Buy?
Shopping for a new, electric skateboard can be overwhelming but hopefully we have broken them down for you a bit to help you narrow down your search.
Ultimately if you are looking for something that provides easy travel and smooth riding, a longboard is the way to. Traditional boards provide more speed and handling.