In the frontier days when the Wild West was won, when you wanted to have a roaring blaze in the fireplace you had to have a stack of cut, dry wood, and some kindling to use the get the fire started.
Chopping and splitting logs was a back-breaking chore when all the work was done by hand.
Nowadays, many still live in the countryside and heat their home with wood. It is still possible to split logs by hand in an old-fashioned way by using a splitting maul, which is a cross between a sledgehammer and an ax.
However, by using a modern log splitter, what used to be a major physical job is made much easier.
We took a look at all the various types of log splitters in order to select the top models from each category. You may have concerns about the power, durability, the size of logs that can be split, and the portability of the equipment.
You will want to choose between electric, gasoline, or manually-powered log splitters, depending on the availability of a power source and how much physical work you want to do.
Below are the top 10 best electric log splitters in 2018, describing the features and benefits of each model, to help you select the type of log splitter that is most suitable for your needs:
Table of Contents
- 10. YARDMAX YS0552 5 Ton Electric Log Splitter
- 9. AAVIX AGT306 Electric Log Splitter
- 8. Sun Joe Logger Joe LJ 60 1E Electric Log Splitter
- 7. Sun Joe LJ10M Logger Joe 10 Ton Hydraulic Log Splitter
- 6. Powerhouse XM-380 Electric Hydraulic Log Splitter
- 5. Kindling Cracker Firewood Kindling Splitter
- 4. Pow’ R’ Kraft 65556 4-Ton 15 Amp Electric Log Splitter
- 3. Champion 7-Ton Compact Horizontal Gas Log Splitter
- 2. WEN 56206 6-Ton Electric Log Splitter
- 1. Boss Industrial ES7T20 Electric Log Splitter
- Which Electric Log Splitter Should You Buy?
10. YARDMAX YS0552 5 Ton Electric Log Splitter
The YARDMAX YS0552 delivers a powerful five tons of pressure to split even the toughest woods. This unit comes with a log tray to hold the split pieces in place.
It has a stand so there is no need to bend over to operate the device. It has a split-limiter that can be set to use for smaller logs, which will reset the device faster to speed up the log splitting process.
In order to operate the device, two hands must be used to simultaneously engage the switches on the safety-guide handles. If either of the switches is let go, the unit immediately stops. This prevents the user’s hands from being caught in the device while it is operating.
- This unit has a strong five-ton ram force
- it can be used inside
- it requires two-handed operation for safety.
- The legs do not fold up for transportation
- the unit is somewhat heavy for a single person to lift.
9. AAVIX AGT306 Electric Log Splitter
The AAVIX AGT306 is an electric log splitter that uses hydraulic fluid to deliver six tons of log-splitting pressure from its 2 hp motor that operates with 15 amps.
The handcart design makes this unit highly portable. It weighs around 100 lbs., which may require two people to lift it to put it in the back of a pickup truck.
To operate this equipment requires the user to be low to the ground. The extension cord is rather short, so buyers of this splitter probably need to also use a heavy-duty extension cord to connect it to the electrical power.
- It has easy-grip handles and six-inch tires for portability
- a six-ton capacity
- is simple to setup with minimal assembly.
- It requires bending over to use it
- it has an awkward design, which requires one hand to hold the motor switch and one hand to engage the hydraulic pump.
8. Sun Joe Logger Joe LJ 60 1E Electric Log Splitter
Sun Joe Logger Joe LJ 60 1E is a home log splitter made for light-duty use. It has rear wheels to help move it around. The 2-hp motor runs on 15 amps. It delivers five tons of log-splitting pressure. It is designed to split logs that measure up to 10 inches wide by 20 inches long.
It requires two hands to operate the dual-handed safety switch. This log splitter is ETL approved. It is made of durable steel construction. The electrical system is protected by an overload circuit-reset button, which automatically turns off the power if the motor is overloaded.
- This splitter has five tons of force
- it operates by a dual-handed safety switch system
- it comes with a full 2-year warranty.
- Working with this equipment requires getting down very low to the ground
- sometimes this equipment has problems with the o-ring causing the hydraulic oil to leak.
7. Sun Joe LJ10M Logger Joe 10 Ton Hydraulic Log Splitter
The Sun Joe LJ10M Logger Joe is a manually-powered, hydraulic log splitter that builds up to ten tons of splitting power when the operator pumps up the splitter using the two handles.
It operates using arm motions that are similar to how a person moves their arms when cross-country skiing. This device is for those who do not mind having a bit of a physical workout when splitting logs.
The hydraulic pressure is enough to split even the toughest logs. It can accommodate logs that are up to 8 inches wide and 18 inches long. A log cradle helps prevent the split wood from falling.
- After the operator places a log he or she can stand upright to use the hydraulic pump handles
- this is much easier than using an axe
- the manufacturer offers a 2-year warranty.
- This splitter will not work with shorter logs
- it is heavy and not easy to move around.
6. Powerhouse XM-380 Electric Hydraulic Log Splitter
The Powerhouse XM-380 is an electric splitter that works with a 3 hp motor that delivers up to 7 tons of log-splitting pressure. It can split logs that are up to 20-1/2 inches long and up to 12 inches in diameter.
The ram will travel 15.7 inches so this splitter also works very well with shorter logs. It is solidly built out of steel and weighs 104 lbs.
The two wheels and handle make it easy to move around to different job locations. The operation of this splitter is very fast and efficient.
The ram automatically retracts when you remove your hand from the operating lever after a log is split. Using this equipment, it is possible to split up to 100 logs per hour.
- This unit is good for heavy work and fast operation
- it handles various log sizes
- it is portable.
- This unit is imported so local service is not readily available
- spare parts are difficult to obtain.
5. Kindling Cracker Firewood Kindling Splitter
The Kindling Cracker Firewood Kindling Splitter is used to make kindling from wood that is up to 6 ½ inches in diameter. This equipment is much easier to use than an ax. There are no moving parts or exposes sharpened blade that is exposed to the hands.
The cutting blades are held firmly inside the device and protected by cast iron coverings. Kindling of the right size is created with a minimum of effort.
The operation of this unit is easy. Work on a solid surface. Put a small log or a split log piece that fits properly inside the metal ring and press the unit firmly down.
- This equipment is easy to use
- requires minimal pressure to operate it
- the cutting blades stay share for a long time.
- If your neighbor borrows this device, you will have a hard time getting it back
- kids who get punishment as the chore to make kindling will find that using this device is fun.
4. Pow’ R’ Kraft 65556 4-Ton 15 Amp Electric Log Splitter
The Pow’ R’ Kraft 65556 electric log splitter uses 15 amps of power to produce 4 tons of log-splitting pressure. It runs on regular household current. If the motor becomes overloaded, it is protected by a ground fault breaker switch that automatically triggers.
This equipment can split logs that are up to 10 inches wide and 20 inches long. It may be able to split some woods that are up to 12 inches in diameter depending on density of the wood.
Steel guide rails hold the log in place for splitting. The construction is all steel for an extended useful life. It has a handle and sturdy wheels for easy portability.
- This equipment is very good for heavy work
- it works well with larger pieces of wood
- it is low maintenance.
- It weighs about 100 lbs., so two people are usually needed to lift it
- 4 tons of available pressure, it may not be strong enough for harder woods.
3. Champion 7-Ton Compact Horizontal Gas Log Splitter
The Champion 7-Ton Compact Horizontal Gas Log Splitter is very portable because it runs on gasoline and does not need to be near an electrical power supply.
It has a comfortable handle and solid tires that make it easy to move around for use and for putting away in storage. The 80cc engine provides enough power to produce 7 tons of log-splitting pressure.
The log splitting operation is a 20-second cycle with an automatic return. This equipment is capable of splitting up to 180 logs per hour.
The height of this equipment is low to the ground making it easier to load the device with heavier logs. It comes with a 2-year manufacturer’s warranty and free, lifetime technical support.
- This equipment is highly portable
- it has a strong 7 tons of log-splitting pressure
- a 2-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- Gas-powered log splitters are noisy
- cannot be used indoors due to the air pollution they cause.
2. WEN 56206 6-Ton Electric Log Splitter
The WEN 56206 model is an electric log splitter with a 2 hp motor, which runs off of household current. It can be used either inside or outside.
It has 6 tons of log-splitting pressure and can handle logs that are up to 20 and ½ inches in length and 10 inches in diameter.
This unit has comfortable grip handles and large solid tires of 6 inches that make it easy to move it around. It requires two hands to operate and that safety feature keeps any hand-injury from happening.
This log splitter is CSA approved and the manufacturer offers a 2-year warranty.
- The electric motor creates quiet operation
- it is non-polluting
- the manufacture offers a solid 2-year warranty.
- It must be used near an electrical power source
- may arrive damaged when poor packing materials are used for shipping.
1. Boss Industrial ES7T20 Electric Log Splitter
The Boss Industrial ES7T20 is an electric log splitter that has a 2 hp motor, which delivers a crushing 7 tons of log-splitting pressure.
This is heavy-duty device made for splitting log made of tough woods of up to 20 and ½ inches long and 10 inches in diameter. It has a convenient one-hand operation.
The ram return is automatic, making this equipment easy to load, unload, and re-load. It has a solid grip front handle and wheels for portability. Because it is non-polluting, it can be used either indoors or outdoors.
Side rails keep the logs in place during the splitting process. This equipment is the perfect choice for big jobs of splitting many cords of wood at one time.
- This heavy-duty unit has plenty of splitting power
- the electric motor is low maintenance
- the manufacturer offers a 2-year warranty for residential use of this equipment.
- One-handed operation is convenient, however this is less safe than having two-handed operation
- it must to be shipped back to the manufacturer for any warranty repairs, which may be expensive.
Which Electric Log Splitter Should You Buy?
Depending on your needs, for a powerful electric log splitter, our favorite is the Boss Industrial ES7T20 because of its strength of 7 tons.
For a gas-powered log splitter, the choice we recommend is the Champion 7-Ton Compact Horizontal Gas Log Splitter, which does not need to be tethered to an electrical power supply.
The Sun Joe LJ10M Logger Joe is an inexpensive manually-powered hydraulic log splitter that is better than trying to use an ax or a maul. Just about everybody loves the Kindling Cracker Firewood Kindling Splitter.
It is a must-have accessory that is a good value for the price and makes a great gift as well.
For the best values, go online, by clicking on the product links to the Amazon website, in order to make a good choice from our top ten recommendations and to find the log splitter that suits you best.