Having a good DSLR camera shoulder rig is very important, especially if you are taking professional photos and videos. Since a DSLR is one of the lightest types of cameras out there, it’s very common for your final shots to be shaky and not the best quality.
The reason why having some sort of support is recommended is because it’s lightweight form makes it more likely that any kind of movement will have an effect on your final photos and videos.
When looking to buy a DSLR camera shoulder rig, there are a few things you have to keep in mind, such as weight, since you will be using it for extended periods of time, and the bulkiness of the rig, since you will be shooting at many different places. Ask yourself what exactly you are looking for and what features are important to you.
This article will look at the top 10 best shoulder rigs for DSLR cameras and talk about pros and cons of each. Once you get to the end, you will be able to figure out which one you like the best and which one will fit your needs the best.
They have many different features that might differ from rig to rig, so make sure you compare everything thoroughly before making your final decision!
Below we’ve reviewed the top 10 best DSLR camera shoulder rigs on the market in 2018.
Table of Contents
- 1. Neewer Portable FilmMaker System
- 2. Neewer Foldable DSLR Rig Movie Kit
- 3. Morros DSLR Rig Movie Kit
- 4. Morros DSLR Rig Set
- 5. FILMCITY DSLR Camera Cage Shoulder Rig
- 6. SUNRISE Shoulder Pad DSLR Rig
- 7. Morros DSLR Rig Movie Kit
- 8. Filmcity DSLR Rig
- 9. Neewer Professional DSLR Rig
- 10. Fancierstudio FL02M DSLR Rig
- Which DSLR Shoulder Camera Rig Should You Buy?
1. Neewer Portable FilmMaker System
This portable shoulder rig has a sliding bar that is fixed right on the rig, soft and comfortable shoulder pad, and 2 handgrips so you can hang on with both hands.
A great thing about this rig is that it will work with any camera that has a 1/4″ mount and has the option to customize the angles and positions, so you can find the most comfortable position.
- This can be used with a tripod
- You can use many different accessories with this
- It can rotate a full 360°
- The rods might be a little too short
- The quick release isn’t made from the best material so it breaks down pretty easily
2. Neewer Foldable DSLR Rig Movie Kit
The metal used for this product is aluminum and you can also fold the whole thing up, which makes it easy to store. This rig works with pretty much any camera that has 1/4″ mounting screws and you could even use it with a tripod.
- The rig itself is very lightweight
- You can add any accessories that have a 1/4″ mount
- Works with many different cameras
- Aluminum is a softer metal so it could be more prone to bending
- Heavier cameras will make it more likely that the rig will fall or break
3. Morros DSLR Rig Movie Kit
Not only does this include the shoulder rig itself, but it also includes a matte box and follow focus. A great thing about this rig is that it’s compatible with any 15mm rail system and it can accommodate any camera that has 1/4″ threading. In addition to those things, it also has a 1 year warranty.
- It can be rotated a full 360°
- You can adjust the height so it can fit many different size lens sizes(from 43mm to 82mm)
- Quick release camera plate is made from sturdy rubber and has a hand grip
- It doesn’t come with a C shaped side bracket, which is needed to add accessories
- If you have wide or very small shoulders, it might not sit comfortably
4. Morros DSLR Rig Set
While this rig is priced around $132, it’s worth it because you get quite a few extras. Those extras are: follow focus, matte box, adjustable platform, C shape support cage, and a grip handle on top.
One great thing about this one is that it can fit cameras and accessories that have either 1/4″ thread or 3/8″ thread.
- Fits rods that are 15mm
- Has a 1 year warranty
- Is compatible with most accessories
- You have to use tools to tighten or it will come loose
- The matte box doesn’t fold down like professional ones so you have to unclip each piece
5. FILMCITY DSLR Camera Cage Shoulder Rig
This shoulder rig is lightweight and durable. It also has adjustable brackets that go from 6″ to 9″ and the shoulder pad has a counterweight so all the weight is distributed evenly.
The matte box that is included can accommodate multiple size lens, up to 95mm and includes adjustable side and top doors, filter holders(4 by 4), and a height adjuster on the front.
- The shoulder pad is very user friendly which means you can be comfortable even when using for an extended period
- It can be used with a tripod
- It can accommodate many accessories
- There is an additional cost of $46.74 for shipping
- You can’t add an additional counterweight if needed
6. SUNRISE Shoulder Pad DSLR Rig
This shoulder rig has a price of $228.99 and is very high quality. It has quick-release and a baseplate that is height adjustable, as well as handles that make it nearly impossible for your hands to slip. There is also a 1/4″-20 hole that can be used for mounting accessories.
- You can change out the counterweight and equip a heavier one if need be
- It can be used with a tripod
- You can adjust the shoulder pad to multiple places so it will fit pretty much all shoulder sizes
- It does not come with follow focus so you’ll have to buy it separately if it’s something you want
- It does not come with a matte box which means you will have to buy one if you want it
7. Morros DSLR Rig Movie Kit
This $69.99 shoulder rig comes with follow focus and a matte box. This is great for whatever type of shooting you’re doing, whether that be a scheduled session or one that was agreed on last minute.
It’s compatible with 15mm rods and can accommodate accessories with 1/4″ threading. It can also fit different size lenses, ranging from 43mm to 82mm.
- You are able to just push it out of the way so you can quickly change lenses
- It has a 1 year warranty
- It works with most DSLR cameras on the market
- It doesn’t include the rods so you will have to buy them separately
- It doesn’t have any instructions included with the package so you might have a few issues setting it up
8. Filmcity DSLR Rig
This rig has a strong and durable shoulder mount as well as a high quality matte box. This is great for getting beautiful shots.
In addition to this, it also has an extremely sturdy camera cage so you don’t have to worry about damage. A great thing about this shoulder rig is that it can accommodate many accessories.
- The matte box can fit lenses up to 95mm
- The follow focus is very precise and durable
- The shoulder pad is extremely user friendly so you can use it for long periods of time
- It has an additional fee of $51.30 that covers shipping so the price can add up
- It doesn’t come with a counterweight so you would have to buy your own if needed
9. Neewer Professional DSLR Rig
This shoulder rig includes a shoulder pad, follow focus, matte box, a C shaped bracket, and a handle on top. It can support a lens up to 77mm and has a 1/4″ adapter on the bottom. In addition, it’s compatible with 15mm rods and can fit most DSLR cameras.
- It works for everybody since it can be used by both right and left handed people
- It can rotate a full 360° which guarantees that you get every shot you need
- It has a locking system that you can adjust which means you don’t have to worry about stuff coming loose
- A counterweight is not included so you will have to buy your own if you need one
- When you use it with a tripod, it can be a little top heavy so you want to make sure you can catch it if it falls or have something soft underneath it
10. Fancierstudio FL02M DSLR Rig
This rig has a fantastic price of $67. It includes follow focus and a matte box. It can support lens sizes up to 77mm as well as having a 1/4″ adapter on the bottom. One other thing to know is that it is can be used with 15mm rods.
- It can rotate a full 360° so you can get every shot you need
- The gears can be screw on from both sides so you can count on being comfortable
- It can fit a lot of additional accessories as long as you buy the arm mounts
- It is not equipped with a top handle and if you want one, you may have to get it custom fitted
- The shoulder brace can end up being awkward or uncomfortable, depending on your size
Which DSLR Shoulder Camera Rig Should You Buy?
After reviewing the top 10 rigs, the best one is definitely the Morros DSLR Rig Set. The reason being that the benefits outweigh the downfalls and the downfalls are just minor little things.
If you want a sturdy and comfortable shoulder rig then this one is for you. With that being said, if it isn’t quite what you’re looking for then there are plenty of other rigs to choose from!
Just research and figure out which ones have the features you want and then check your budget to see what you can afford. All of these are great rigs and you really can’t go wrong regardless of which one you choose!