If your makeup seems like it is melting off your face only halfway through your day, you may need one of the best drugstore setting spray products on the market.
Sure, you could invest in a high-end brand and spend $$ or more for a few ounces of this magical spray. But amateur and professional make-up connoisseurs alike agree that some drugstore products give the high-end brands a run for their money.
Find a drugstore setting spray that works wonders without breaking the bank.
The Magic of the Best Drugstore Setting Spray
With the right setting spray, reapplication of your make-up will be a thing of the past. Ward off smudging and fading with these brands that promise your makeup can look just as good after a full day of work or a night on the town.
What is a makeup setting spray?
Setting sprays are designed to prolong the life of your makeup. If you want to keep your makeup looking fresh, especially on particularly important days like a party or a wedding, setting spray is a must.
The best setting sprays use a formula that combines polymers and an alcohol solvent to form an invisible film that will not budge. Don’t be put off by the idea of a film on your skin. It can shield against sweat, rubbing, and clumping while helping makeup to look flawlessly blended.
Plus there's more! Many of the best drugstore setting spray formulas have a lightweight application, so you’ll barely even notice it’s there!
Do setting sprays really work?
The professionals agree that setting sprays do make a difference. While they can be drying to your skin (most have alcohol as a principal ingredient), there is no better way to get your makeup to stay.
Want to know a tip from an expert?
Use a spritz of setting spray in between each “layer” of makeup (foundation, concealer, powder, bronzer, etc.) to help keep your makeup even more waterproof. That way, no matter what you and your makeup can make it through the day intact.
What makes a great setting spray?
The best setting sprays have formulas that contain alcohol. The alcohol acts as a drying agent that provides more hold, even if it can dry out your skin.
There are a few alcohol-free setting sprays that are great for people with dry skin. Some also protect from the sun, acting as a sunscreen.
There are also some excellent setting spray options that counteract the alcohol in their formula with refreshing vitamins and minerals. Find a setting spray with rose water or cucumber extract and your skin will thank you.
Plus, both of those ingredients will leave a refreshing scent.
How should you use a setting spray?
Applying your setting spray couldn’t be simpler. Just give the bottle a good shake to thoroughly mix all the ingredients and hold the spray bottle about six to eight inches from your face.
Move across your face in an X and T motion, going over your makeup a few times to be sure you cover your whole face. Most of the best drugstore setting spray choices will dry quickly, even so, give your face time to dry completely before opening your eyes.
Our Top 9 Drugstore Setting Spray Picks
If the sheer number of setting sprays available overwhelms you, do not despair! We have scoured the internet to find the best drugstore setting spray choices that won’t break the bank.
The best news?
These options are all top-rated at favorite online retailers, and makeup artist approved.
1. Wet 'n Wild Photo Focus Natural Finish Setting Spray
Wet 'n Wild is a budget makeup brand that has been around for decades, and with good reason. This top-rated setting spray from Wet 'n Wild promises to extend makeup wear by preventing cracks, smudges, fading, and creasing in your makeup.
It works with all skin types and contains aloe vera to hydrate your skin and combat any dryness.
2. E.L.F Makeup Mist & Set
No products found.
Known for providing quality makeup for a reasonable price, E.L.F. does not disappoint with their best drugstore setting spray. Their formula is lightweight, comfortable, and most importantly, alcohol-free. E.L.F. infuses this spray with vitamins B and E and Arctium majus root.
It moisturizes and soothes the skin while keeping your makeup in place all day long with a shine-free look.
3. L’Oreal Paris Makeup Extender Setting Spray
- Lightweight Long Lasting Setting Spray: Get that just applied makeup look all day long with this makeup extender Setting...
- Works with All Skin Types: This formula is lightweight, oil free, non comedogenic and dermatologist tested
- Build Your Routine: We have all you need for your beauty routine; Foundation and BB creams for a even finish,...
A household name in all things beauty, L’Oréal Paris does not disappoint with this setting spray. Keep your makeup looking fresh for hours with this lightweight, oil-free spray. Even your most dramatic makeup looks are safe from smudging or setting into fine lines with this product.
While Amazon’s average customer review is 3.9 out of 5.0 stars, popular retailer Target boasts a 4.1 out of 5.0 stars rating with more than 4,000 reviews.
4. NYX Makeup Setting Spray
- Matte Setting Spray: For a matte makeup look that stays put, use our lightweight setting spray to reduce shine and leave...
- Lock In Your Look: Get a smooth, long lasting finish for your makeup with this lightweight setting spray that helps your...
- Face From Foundation To Finish: Complete your makeup look with our full line of NYX Professional Makeup face products to...
This setting spray from NYX promises a flawless shine-free matte look that is lightweight and comfortable for all-day wear. With this spray, your makeup will neither fade nor run, no matter what the day ahead of you looks like.
As a number one best seller on Amazon with thousands of reviews, customers and makeup artists alike swear by the quality of this setting spray.
5. Milani Make It Last Setting Spray
- PRIME + CORRECT + SET: Make It Last Prime + Correct + Set Setting Spray preps your face, reduces the appearance of...
- LONG-LASTING WEAR: This illuminating finishing spray and makeup primer delivers just the right dose of dewy to your...
- VEGAN, CRUELTY-FREE BEAUTY: The vegan formula primes, hydrates, and illuminates your skin. Spray under or over makeup to...
A budget-friendly favorite of beauty experts everywhere, this best drugstore setting spray from Milani earned a spot on this list. This spray promises to work as both a primer and setting spray, keeping makeup fresh for up to 16 hours.
As a vegan and cruelty-free product, you can love the skin you’re in, all while wearing a flawless face all day.
6. Revlon PhotoReady Prep, Set, Refresh Mist
- Triple Action - Prime, Set, Refresh
- Prime: Hydrating formula infused with botanical fruit complex, leaves skin softer and smoother
- Set: Fine micro mist creates an invisible weightless veil on the skin to lock in makeup all day
This product from Revlon works as both a primer for skin before makeup then as a setting spray to lock in makeup for full-day wear. With a refreshing cucumber scent, this spray is lightweight and great for all skin types.
This product has an average Amazon customer review of 4.2 out of 5.0 stars.
7. Maybelline Facestudio Master Fix Wear-Boosting Setting Spray
- Helps prevent color fading and makeup from melting
- Extends wear and keeps just-applied makeup looking fresh
- Translucent makeup setting spray feels lightweight on the skin
Maybelline offers another great setting spray to lock makeup into place. Stay shine-free all day long with radiant skin even hours after your initial makeup application. This quick-dry formula is lightweight, translucent, and oil-free.
A great budget option, this setting spray received an average Target customer review of 4.0 out of 5.0 stars.
8. Physicians Formula #InstaReady Setting Spray
Those familiar with the Physicians Formula brand will find it no surprise that this best drugstore setting spray makes the list. With a hypoallergenic, fragrance-free, paraben-free, gluten-free, and cruelty-free formula, this setting spray is gentle on the skin while doing a great job to keep your makeup in place.
It received an average Target customer review of 4.7 out of 5.0 stars.
9. Covergirl Outlast Active Setting Spray
- Seals your look so it's smudge-proof, transfer-proof, and humidity-proof
- Microfine mist has a lightweight breathable feel
- Suitable for all skin types
Covergirl markets this setting spray as smudge-proof, transfer-proof, and humidity-proof. So no matter what the day may throw your way, your makeup is locked in place. This product sprays as a fine mist to offer a lightweight and breathable feel.
Don’t let the Amazon average customer review of 3.6 out of 5.0 stars discourage you. With a 4.4 out of 5.0 stars rating on the Covergirl website and nearly 100 reviews, customers seem very satisfied with this product.
Which Setting Spray Has Sticking Power?
The best drugstore setting spray can feel like a magical product. To keep makeup fresh all-day is no small feat, and a great setting spray can make all the difference between a makeup meltdown and a real beauty triumph.
You cannot go wrong choosing from this list for the best drugstore setting spray.
If you are looking for a great setting spray, then NYX Makeup Setting Spray is overall the best choice. It’s the perfect combination of both quality and value.
If you need an alcohol-free formula, then you have got to choose the E.L.F Makeup Mist & Set. Not only is it a fantastic price, but it will be kind to your skin.
If you’re on the hunt for a primer and setting spray all in one then Revlon’s PhotoReady Prep, Set, Refresh Mist is ideal for you.
Pick up a few choices of the best drugstore setting spray today. Let us know in the comments which one keeps your face fresh all day long!
Featured image via Pixabay