If you have dry skin or other skin problems, you've probably heard you should use a moisturizer. But maybe you're on a budget, or you just don't want to spend a ton of money. Meet your new friend: The best drugstore moisturizer.
Drugstore products are just as good as high-end products, if not even better. There are moisturizers for all skin types and every part of your body. And the best part about drugstore moisturizers is that they are rarely expensive.
If you've never used a moisturizer before, start with a drugstore moisturizer. They're affordable, easy to get, and there's something for everyone.
Best Drugstore Moisturizer - Comparison Table
Best Drugstore Moisturizer FAQs
Image via Amazon
Any good moisturizer should be soothing but not too heavy on your skin. Some moisturizers can cost a lot of money, but you can find suitable alternatives for an affordable price. The best drugstore moisturizer fills all of the requirements of a "professional" moisturizer, but you can buy it at the drugstore without the sticker shock.
What is a moisturizer?
A moisturizer comes in the form of a cream or lotion, and it hydrates your skin. You can find moisturizers for specific parts of your body such as your face, hands, or feet. There are also moisturizers for your whole body.
What makes something a drugstore moisturizer is its availability in (surprise!) drugstores. Drugstore products are also usually more affordable than other brands. They aren't always dirt cheap, but they don't cost nearly as much as high-end cosmetic brands.
What does it do?
Like any moisturizer, the best drugstore moisturizer hydrates your skin without irritating it. You can reap many benefits from using a moisturizer. Moisturizer can reduce the chances of blemishes and other skin problems. It can also minimize wrinkles and keep your skin looking young.
Some moisturizers are specific to the different types of skin on your body. The rougher skin on your feet needs a different kind of moisturizer than the softer skin of your face. Other moisturizers are more generalized for your entire body. So before you choose which moisturizer to use, make sure you know what your needs are.
Do you really need a moisturizer?
Your skin is more than 60 percent water. Because of that, your skin craves water. If you live in a drier climate, a moisturizer is especially important. Even if you live in a humid area, you can still benefit from using a moisturizer.
As we mentioned, moisturizer can help with skin problems. If you struggle with dry skin or blemishes, a moisturizer can really help you.
Is it as good as a high-end moisturizer?
Like many things in life, there are many different price brackets for moisturizer. Drugstore moisturizer is near the bottom when it comes to price.
In some cases, you do get what you pay for, but that doesn't mean you can't find an amazing moisturizer at the drugstore.
The best drugstore moisturizer will work just as well as its more expensive competition.
Where can you buy it?
The term drugstore moisturizer makes this really easy to answer. You can buy drugstore moisturizer at the drugstore. However, you can also buy some of these products online.
How much does it cost?
Drugstore moisturizer costs $3 to $20. The price depends on the type of moisturizer, product size, and the brand.
How We Reviewed
We found a few best of lists covering the best drugstore moisturizer, and we looked for products with excellent customer reviews. Since drugstore moisturizers are relatively affordable, we also looked at the price to determine which moisturizers qualify as drugstore moisturizers.
Which Is the Best Drugstore Moisturizer?
The best drugstore moisturizer will be different for everyone. You might have different preferences and needs than a friend or family member. There may not be one single best drugstore moisturizer for everyone, but there are a few top contenders that you should consider.
- [ DRY SKIN CREAM ] Suitable for use on the entire body, face, and even as hand cream for dry hands
- [ ALL DAY HYDRATION ] Provides 24-hour hydration and helps restore the protective skin barrier with three essential...
- [ MOISTURE-RETAINING INGREDIENTS ] Formulated with hyaluronic acid to help retain skin's natural moisture
CeraVe Moisturizing Cream offers a long lasting formula that will protect your skin from damage. Their formula contains hyaluronic acid so your skin can maintain its natural moisture. CeraVe uses their patented technology, so the moisturizer has a controlled release which makes the moisturizer work for a more extended period.
The moisturizer is fragrance-free, oil-free, and hypoallergenic, so it's perfect for anyone with sensitive skin. CeraVe specifically recommends this moisturizer for normal to dry skin.
You can find CeraVe products in many drugstores.
- Broad spectrum UVA/UVB SPF 30 protection in an oil free, lightweight, formula that won't clog pores
- Micropearl technology absorbs surface oil for a matte finish
- Utilizes Oleosome Technology for hydrating sun protection with less irritation
Differen isn't as popular as some other companies, but it's still worth checking out. You might have heard of their acne-fighting face wash, but they also have a great moisturizer. The sunscreen-moisturizer combo is a lightweight and oil-free formula that leaves a matte finish. It protects your skin and hydrates it at the same time.
Dermatologists recommend Differen Moisturizer for people with oily skin.
- 36-fluid ounce bottle of Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Body Lotion to moisturize dry skin for a full 24 hours
- Contains a unique soothing oatmeal formula that absorbs quickly, leaving your skin soft, beautiful and healthy-looking
- Clinically proven and award winning daily lotion locks in skin’s moisture and improves skin’s health in just one day
Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Body Lotion is excellent for your entire body. You can use the lotion every day, and it lasts up to 24 hours. The oatmeal formula is soothing, and your skin absorbs it quickly, so you don't have to feel wet after you moisturize. Aveeno has a long history with dermatologists, and the lotion is fragrance-free.
This lotion is the best drugstore moisturizer for anyone who wants a light formula that blends into your skin quickly.
- REVIVES DULL SKIN WITH A RADIANT SHINE - Warmly scented, its lightweight formula hydrates and boost sheen, leaving it 3x...
- FORMULATED WITH PURE, AFRICAN SHEA BUTTER - Shea butter is known for its ability to restore skin by helping it hold...
- 3X MORE RADIANT SKIN - Enriched with African shea butter, it melts into dull, dry skin, revealing skin that's 3x more...
Jergens is another fantastic drugstore brand. Jergens Shea Butter Moisturizer hydrates your skin and makes it shine. This moisturizer uses African Shea Butter, and it can relieve dryness and improve your skin's moisture barrier. It absorbs into your skin quickly, and it won't leave your skin feeling greasy.
If you want more radiant looking skin, Jergens might be the best drugstore moisturizer for you.
- Simple Water Boost Hydrating Gel Cream restores hydration to dehydrated skin, leaving it feeling refreshed, supple and...
- Smooths away tightness and dryness while providing long-lasting hydration.
- Does not leave skin feeling greasy or sticky.
The company Simple offers a Hydrating Gel Cream that's perfect for dry skin. Simple's moisturizer reduces tightness and dryness, and it won't leave your skin feeling sticky or greasy. The lightweight formula goes on your skin easily so your skin will feel refreshed and smooth. Infused minerals and plant extract help hydrate your skin.
This moisturizer is the best drugstore moisturizer for anyone who needs a quick boost of hydration on their skin.
- FACE MOISTURIZER: Create a luminous and more hydrated complexion with this gentle moisturizing cream that helps smooth...
- SENSITIVE SKIN: This sensitive skin lotion is clinically shown to provide moisturization without causing redness or...
- NATURAL FACE LOTION: This 98.9% natural moisturizer is fragrance free and infused with a combination of Rice Extracts...
Burt's Bees has many moisturizing products, and their daily moisturizing cream is no exception. The moisturizer is perfect for the sensitive skin on and around your face. It's over 98 percent natural, and it won't cause irritation or redness. You can use the moisturizer every day, and it's recommended by dermatologists.
If you need a lotion specifically for your face, be sure to try this Burt's Bees cream.
- Prevents Dryness Before It Starts Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion is for all skin types and everyday hydration
- Enriched With Special Ingredients: Cetaphil Lotion Includes Six Moisturizers, Plus Vitamin E and B5 for Soft, Smooth,...
- Lightweight & Non Greasy: Moisturizing Lotion Is Fast Absorbing and Delivers Long Lasting, 24 Hour Hydration
NIVEA Soft Moisturizing Creme works well for your body, face, and hands. The formula is light and creamy, and it's enriched with vitamin E and jojoba oil. You can rub it into your skin very easily, but you don't need a ton of lotion to get good results.
This lotion is the best drugstore moisturizer for anyone who wants a universal moisturizer rather than separate moisturizers.
Love Your Skin
When you shower, it can seem unnecessary to moisturize your skin. After all, you just spent time in the water. While that does sound logical, there are plenty of benefits to using a moisturizer.
But you may still not want to spend a ton of money on a moisturizer. That's why you need the best drugstore moisturizer.
Like high-end creams, drugstore moisturizers hydrate your skin in ways that water alone can't. Moisturizers can also help reduce a variety of skin problems from acne to wrinkles.
All of the products on our list are excellent choices. However, the Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Body Lotion comes out on top. It works for your entire body, it's easy to apply, and you can't beat the price. At less than $10 for an 18-ounce bottle, you can't get much cheaper than that.
Do you have a favorite drugstore moisturizer? Tell us all about it in the comments!