Most people spend a lot of time in their desk chairs. Between office work and computer work at home, you likely spend much of your waking hours sitting in a desk chair. As people have switched to a more sedentary existence and longer working hours, problems due a less than ergonomic working environment have become more and more pervasive. How do you know what the best desk chair is?
Especially if you work at home, you may neglect the important investment in a high-quality desk chair in favor of more glamorous home office expenditures like a computer and desk.
The Importance of a Good Office Chair
A good desk chair will make your more productive throughout your working hours and happier in your off time, since you won’t have the trouble with a back sprain, carpal tunnel, etc. Another huge benefit of a good office chair is the ergonomics it offers to provide a better posture and prevent any back pain or discomfort. This means you’ll be more inclined to stay at your desk and work hard since you won’t be uncomfortable in your chair.
Bosses who treat their employees well create a healthier and happier environment for the entire team. Every member of staff should feel comfortable in their work environment and health is a big factor in achieving this. Your team will respect and appreciate you much more if you create a space that shows you care about your employees.
How To Choose a Desk Chair For Your Office
To help you find the best desk chair for your needs, we’ve provided an easy-to-follow guide to bear in mind throughout your search.
You want your office chair to look good, especially if it is in a multi-use home office. Unfortunately some of the most important features in a desk chair, like lumbar support and a back and seat with good ventilation, sometimes lead to a chair that looks like it belongs on a spaceship. Remember that ergonomics and your health are more important than looks, so choose a chair that offers good support over one that looks stylish.
A good desk chair should be highly adjustable so that you can customize your seating precisely to your body and needs. This feature is great if you wish to share the chair among others. Alternatively, it’s an ideal way to remain comfortable at all heights and angles.
Wheels are important for a desk chair so that you don’t strain your arms reaching for papers or tools around your desk, and so that you can make sure you are facing your screen perfectly straightly, even if you are alternating between monitors. If you have carpet, choose a chair designed to roll over carpet or invest in a chair pad to go over the carpet.
Some might need a chair with a swivel base to offer freedom when moving around their desk or room. This can make it easier to turn around in different positions and access items without having to extend to reach.
These are great so you can sit comfortably with your shoulders relaxed and your elbows resting on the armrest. This feature provides you with a break and healthy stretch in-between tasks.
There is often a compromise between breathability and padding since more padding tends to result in less breathability. Choose a chair with thick mesh padding to get the best compromise between a cool, breathable desk chair and one that is well padded.
Signs You Need a New Office Chair
If you’re unsure about updating your current office chair, there are some common signs you should look out for that suggest it’s time for a renewal. First, if you notice that the padding has become worn, this can not only affect your comfort and the chair’s appearance, but it won’t be proviving any support for your lower back which can cause spine problems.
One of the biggest signs that it’s time for a renewal is if you experience pain or discomfort after sitting in the chair. Be aware of your body and how it feels. If you’ve suddenly starting feeling aches and pains that you’ve never had before, the lumbar support may have become worn.
Finally, look at the chair’s appearance. Is it falling apart? Is it missing items that have fallen off over time? General wear and tear is to be expected, though a broken armrest and ripped headrest could be causing your body damage without you even realizing it.
Try to update your chair every five years to prevent any of these traits. Time and constant wear will affect your furniture so don’t own one long enough that it falls apart and starts to creak before you renew it.
The Top 10 Best Desk Chairs To Buy
If you’re confused about finding the best desk chair for your needs, we’ve searched the Internet for a wide range of products to help you decide.
Table of Contents
- The Importance of a Good Office Chair
- How To Choose a Desk Chair For Your Office
- Signs You Need a New Office Chair
- The Top 10 Best Desk Chairs To Buy
- 10. Flash Furniture Mid-Back Black Leather Swivel Task Chair with Arms
- 9.Furmax Office Chair Mid Back Swivel Lumbar Support Desk Chair
- 8. Homall Gaming Chair Racing Style High-back PU Leather Office Chair
- 7.AmazonBasics Mid-Back Mesh Chair
- 6. Mid Back Mesh Ergonomic Computer Desk Office Chair
- 5. Furmax Office Gaming Chair Leather Desk Chair
- 4. Furmax Ribbed Office Chair Mid-Back Leather
- 3. Ergonomic Mesh Computer Office Desk Midback Task Chair
- 2. Flash Furniture Mid-Back Black Mesh Swivel Task Chair
- 1. Modway Articulate Ergonomic Mesh Office Chair in Black
- Which should you buy?
10. Flash Furniture Mid-Back Black Leather Swivel Task Chair with Arms
This good-looking desk chair will blend into any space with its classic leather appearance. This chair features a tilt lock mechanism and tilts tension adjustment knob so that you can stretch and adjust your angle in this chair easily. Pneumatic seat height adjustment is easy, and the LeatherSoft upholstery is made of a blended leather and polyurethane for softness and durability.
- Adjust tilt tension and lock tilt
- LeatherSoft is classic and attractive as well as being durable
- The leather is not breathable, making for a hot sitting experience
- The only adjustability is tilt and height
9.Furmax Office Chair Mid Back Swivel Lumbar Support Desk Chair
This highly ergonomic chair has excellent lumbar support built into the mesh back so you have a good balance of support and breathability. The seat is thickly padded for long-term sitting. The 360-degree swivel wheels work smoothly on hard floors or hard carpets The company offers replacement or money back for 30 days so you can practice sitting in this chair.
- Lumbar support provided by a breathable mesh back
- Capacity up to 265 pounds
- 30 back money back guarantee
- The seat is not breathable
- Mesh back doesn’t look classic
8. Homall Gaming Chair Racing Style High-back PU Leather Office Chair
If some of the time you spend in front of your computer is spent playing video games, this might be the chair for you. High-density shaping foam is comfortable and resists oxidation. PU leather feels good and cool against your skin and is durable. This desk chair can rock, recline to 180 degrees, and swivel on multi-directional wheels.
- Warranty on installation and parts for one year
- Money back guarantee for one month so you can practice sitting in the chair
- Reclines and rocks
- The fabric is not breathable
- Headrest may not line up correctly depending on your height
7.AmazonBasics Mid-Back Mesh Chair
This chair is comfortable and straightforward, with a contoured mesh back that offers good lumbar support and durability. Seat adjustment is easy with pneumatic control and the seat is padded for comfort. Dual wheel casters make moving over hard floors easy.
- Affordable, straightforward desk chair
- Contoured mesh back for support and durability
- 225-pound weight capacity
- One year limited warranty
- Not much padding on seat
- Only height is adjustable
- Won’t tilt or recline
6. Mid Back Mesh Ergonomic Computer Desk Office Chair
If you don’t want to spend too much on a desk chair, this is an ergonomic option. The armless design may be good for you if you like to sit close to the desk and work to the left and right as well as in front of you. You can adjust the height as needed and swivel 360 degrees. A mesh back offers good breathability.
- Breathable mesh back
- Pneumatic height adjustment
- No arms more likely to cause wrist problems
- Can’t tilt or recline
- Not heavily padded
5. Furmax Office Gaming Chair Leather Desk Chair
This ergonomic high back chair can offer you comfortable seating whether you are working at your desk or gaming. This chair looks classic enough to fit into your chic home office with its leather covering and shapely design. Padded armrests keep your arms comfortable. The entire chair can be rocked to stretch and relax your muscles on busy days.
- Money back guarantee within 30 days
- Ergonomic design
- The chair can rock and is pneumatically adjustable
- The leather is not breathable
- Not good for shorter people
If style matters to you, you may be won over by this sleek, elegant office chair. 3.15 inches of thick padding make this chair comfortable to sit in for long periods. The smooth leather feels good on your skin and looks great in your space. This chair will be replaced or money back within 30 days if you aren’t completely happy with it.
- 3.15 inches of padding on seat
- Sleek, attractive ribbed leather design
- 30-day money back guarantee
- Doesn’t provide as good of ergonomic support as competing chairs
- Doesn’t tilt or recline
3. Ergonomic Mesh Computer Office Desk Midback Task Chair
This ergonomic and breathable chair comes at a very reasonable price. This chair is wide for comfortable sitting and the height is adjustable. The ergonomic design of the mesh keeps your back at the ideal angle while not becoming hot. You can rock back and forth on this chair, important for relaxing tired muscles on long work days.
- Affordable price
- Ergonomic, breathable mesh back
- Rocks back and forth
- Not good for very tall people
- Not much padding
2. Flash Furniture Mid-Back Black Mesh Swivel Task Chair
This desk chair has a straightforward appearance but has a lot of important features for an ergonomic sitting experience. The ventilated mesh back won’t get hot but offers plenty of reinforced lumbar support. You can adjust the tilt tension adjustment knob to get exactly the tilt that is ideal for you.
- The classic design doesn’t look out of place in a home office
- Ergonomic design offering extra lumbar support
- Tilt tension adjustment knob
- Arm height is not adjustable and is likely to bump into the desk
- Back is not adjustable beyond tilting
1. Modway Articulate Ergonomic Mesh Office Chair in Black
If you spend a lot of time in your desk chair for long-term work, this may be the fit for you. This extremely ergonomic chair has a breathable mesh back and 6 inches of thick mesh padding that provides plenty of support while still keeping the seat breathable. You can adjust the armrests, the height, and tilt and lock for a customized seating experience.
- Mesh back and thick mesh padding provide full breathability
- Excellent lumbar support
- Adjustable arms
- Tilt and lock
- Doesn’t go low enough for short people to comfortably reach the ground
- Not well packed
Which should you buy?
If you spend a lot of your time sitting and need a desk chair that can provide comfort in an ergonomic design that will spare you from repetitive motion injury, the Modway Articulate Ergonomic Mesh Office Chair in Black may be right for you.
Adjustable arms, as well as height, allow you to customize your sitting experience. The tilt and lock feature lets you lean back and stretch tired muscles during long work days. A full six inches of padding means that your bottom won’t go numb or be sore from sitting on this chair, and the padding is mesh as well as the back, for excellent breathability. Top 10 Best Desk Chairs