When looking for a saw that can do many things, you might turn to the best circular saws. A circular saw is a powerful tool that uses a rotary motor invented in the 18th century.
It’s gained a lot of popularity over the years. As of today, it stands as one of the most used tools in woodworking and other construction business.
This type of saw is used mostly for cutting wood. It is also used for many other things as well. Whether you are trying to cut metal, masonry, plastic, or wood, this is the saw you can use.
What are the Key Features of a Circular Saw?
Acquiring a circular saw is an investment. Whether you want a craftsman circular saw for a hobby or some serious crafts, a cordless circular saw because you hate stepping and tripping on cords, a compact circular saw that lets you be mobile, or other types of circular saws out there, you need to know what you should be looking out for to make sure that you’re getting the right one.
The best circular saw is something that would have all the necessary features of a good one while being able to cater to what you need it for. It might be tempting to go straight to checking the circular saw blades since you want to make sure that it can slice through whatever it is you want to cut. And while it’s not wrong to check blades, there are also features of this power saw that you need to look into.
Because we’re talking about power saws, we have to make sure that what makes it one fits into what we need the saw for. A circular saw’s motors greatly affect its cutting capacity. The more professional a power saw is, the more powerful its motor is, and this is why you have to know which one you need because you don’t want to get a circular saw that doesn’t have a powerful enough motor or the other way around.
You want your saw to be as versatile and adaptable as possible. Saw and blade adjustments can determine a circular saw’s depth of cut and it’s ability to make bevel cuts and the degrees of those cuts.
It will be a tragedy if you get a circular saw and not have the ability to make straight and clean cuts. Make sure that your saw’s sightline is comfortable enough for you to see the cutting line clearly.
Because you are investing your money in equipment, it better be something that will last for a very long time and one that you know you can use to its full capacity. No matter the blade size, cordless or with a power cord, or any other feature you can think of; if it’s not durable, then it’s a waste of money. Generally speaking, the more expensive the model, the more durable it is; but you still need to make sure of that.
Last, but certainly not the least, is safety. We are talking about high-powered, possibly carbide tipped corded circular saws (or cordless, it really doesn’t matter) so it only follows that safety should be a priority in choosing a circular saw. Because the saw would spin for a few more seconds after the trigger is released, you might want to get one that has an electric brake which can make the spinning blade stop in as quick as two seconds.
There are many questions you should ask when looking for the correct circular saw for your project. There are many different factors to think of when choosing one. This includes the type of material it is going to be cut, what type of cut, energy source needed, and more.
There are many different types of circular saws on the market today. This can include the abrasive saw, the concrete saw, the panel saw, table saw, and more. Knowing what type of saw you need is the key to finding the best saw for the job. Each saw is used for something different.
You may ask what type of circular saws are out there and what is each one of them is used for. Take the time now to find the one you need before they are all gone.
We’ve reviewed the top 10 best circular saws available on the market in 2019.
Table of Contents
- What are the Key Features of a Circular Saw?
- The Motor
- Blade Adjustments
- It’s Sightline
- 10. VonHaus Corded Ultra-Compact Circular Saw
- 9. PORTER-CABLE Heavy Duty Magnesium Shoe Circular Saw
- 8. Makita 5007MG Magnesium 7-1/4-Inch Circular Saw
- 7. PORTER-CABLE Heavy Duty Steel Shoe Circular Saw
- 6. Hitachi C7SB2 15 Amp 7-1/4-Inch Circular Saw
- 5. SKIL Circular Saw
- 4. DEWALT MAX Brushless Circular Saw
- 3. Skil 5480-01 13 Amp 7-1/4-Inch Circular Saw Kit
- 2. Black & Decker Driver Circular & Reciprocating Saw
- 1. DEWALT Lightweight Circular
- Final Review of the Best Circular Saws
- See also:
10. VonHaus Corded Ultra-Compact Circular Saw
This 120V saw has everything you would need to make precise cuts. It’s used in many different materials. It has a compact design that makes it easy for transport. Featuring a laser-light that helps guide cuts it will give you the most accurate cuts needed for any job.
The kit comes complete with a hose. This hose is for extracting out dust as you make the cut; making it a cleaner cut with less clean up afterward.
- Used for many different materials
- Extraction hose for easy cleanup
- Laser guide for more precise cuts
- Only has a cutting depth of 1”
- Complicated to use for some
9. PORTER-CABLE Heavy Duty Magnesium Shoe Circular Saw
This is a heavy duty circular saw that’s used for bigger projects. It is a high powered item that has been collecting a lot of attention and is used on many different materials.
Although it is a heavy duty saw, it is lightweight; making it easy for even the smallest of people to use. It is also used for smaller jobs as well.
- It’s used on many different projects
- Heavy duty for more intense jobs but still pretty light to control
- Good gripping handle
- Only comes with one blade
- Made of plastic
8. Makita 5007MG Magnesium 7-1/4-Inch Circular Saw
The Makita is a lightweight saw that is powerful. It has 2 different lights to help with precision cutting. It has the capacity for many different projects.
The adjustments are one-handed with easy levers on the machine. This way you don’t need to stop to switch gears which makes your work faster and easier.
- It’s used for many projects ranging from cutting, bevel cutting and more.
- Includes a heavy duty double coated blade that has an advanced tooth design.
- Lightweight with more power
- Many problems with guard
- Square shaped base plate
7. PORTER-CABLE Heavy Duty Steel Shoe Circular Saw
This saw is easy to use with its compact design. It has many different speeds and is easy to adjust while working. It totals 11.2 pounds and has a 7 ¼” blade and Allen wrench.
It runs by a motor using electricity. No batteries needed to charge which means no waiting. Just plug it in and go.
- Heavy duty with up to 15amp motor
- Extra durable with metal guards and steel shoe
- Has a 3-year limited warranty included
- No battery. Must have electricity to use
- The Switch is on/off without speed controls
6. Hitachi C7SB2 15 Amp 7-1/4-Inch Circular Saw
Here is a saw that comes with the ability to use many different beveling applications. With easy use and strong power, it is a great tool to use for creating beautiful designs on wood.
It is a corded saw that comes with its own hard case for easy storing and carrying. It’s used in many different materials. It is also good for those heavy-duty jobs or the little jobs around the house.
- Comes with its own case
- Used for many different projects with the different beveling abilities
- The non-slip grip that makes it easy to switch gears while working
- 17.8 pounds which can make it heavy for some people to use
- Corded and needs electricity to use.
5. SKIL Circular Saw
This is a saw that is on the #1 bestseller list. It is a lightweight saw with many capabilities. It comes with a carrying case as well for easy storage and carrying. The saw allows different beveling features.
It also has a single laser beam for better cuts. It is one of the most sought out saws on the market and will make a fine saw for anyone.
- A single laser beam for precise cuts
- Carrying case for easy storage
- Many different cuts available for beveling
- Corded. Need electricity for use
- Gripping the handle is not comfortable
4. DEWALT MAX Brushless Circular Saw
Dewalt is a brand that’s known by different woodworkers and construction companies everywhere. Their attention to detail has made them record sales. This saw is no different.
The saw weighs a total of 14.5 pounds and comes with 2 lithium batteries. It has a voltage of 60 volts and a metric system. It is one of the best-reviewed saws on the market today.
- Battery operated for those jobs without electricity
- Blade stops instantly after trigger’s released
- Voltage changed automatically when changing tools
- Low battery life
- The blade is on the opposite side
3. Skil 5480-01 13 Amp 7-1/4-Inch Circular Saw Kit
This is a saw that’s guaranteed to have a longer life than most due to its ball bearing motor. It has a safety lock trigger as well that stops accidents from happening.
It’s designed not only for longer life but also easier use with the snag proof lower guard. The brand alone gives it a quality image that most other saws do not have.
- The foot is 20% wider than most giving it more stability and control.
- Lightweight for easier control and use
- Safety features that make it a better choice for smaller users
- Can be awkward to use for smaller users
- Tools are stored on the bottom of the saw
2. Black & Decker Driver Circular & Reciprocating Saw
This is a kit that comes with everything you need for a job. It comes with 2 batteries for a longer use time. The circular saw has a 5 ½” blade and the LED light has a total of 11 hours of use on it.
It uses the metric system and is a total of 14 pounds in weight. Everything you could need is in this package.
- Battery operated with long life
- 2 year limited warranty
- Combo pack with many tools to complete any job
- Slow time to charge batteries
- Doesn’t tell you that it includes blades as well
1. DEWALT Lightweight Circular
This is an easy-to-use saw that is lightweight and for anyone who needs a job done. It comes with a dust blower and weighs only 8.8 pounds. The electric brake makes it easy to control as well.
This small saw may be little in size, but it packs a punch in power. It can get the job done. Don’t let its size fool you. The cord is made durable as well and harder to come out from the wall when in use. It comes with the ability to bevel up to 57 degrees. This is the perfect saw for any project that’s needed.
- Lightweight and compact for easy use
- Safety brakes that stop the saw 3 seconds after the trigger is let go
- Dust blower to rid the material of cutting dust
- The blade may need adjusting to be parallel with the plate
- Can have a lot of vibration at higher speeds
Final Review of the Best Circular Saws
There are many projects that need the use of a circular saw. There are many different things to look for when choosing the right one for the project. This can be many things.
Most circular saws will cut through many materials. These can be things such as countertops, concrete, plastic, and of course, wood. It is one of the most used tools in the woodworking and construction industries. The Dewalt Lightweight Circular Saw is great for women who have a big job to do.
If you are looking for a saw to build dressers and stands with a lot of intricate detail then go for the Hitachi C7SB2. It has the most beveling features than any other circular saw mentioned.
If looking for a good saw to do some projects around the house, then you could go with any of the saws on the list. They all give precise cuts; some with the use of lights and lasers, and can make the job easier and faster in the end.
We hope that this review of the best circular saws helped you weed out the best from the rest. Whether you decided on getting the most expensive and best circular saw on the market or any of the brands of a circular saw home depot offers, what’s important is that your choice is informed with what you need the saw for and what you know is the best fit for those requirements.