Do you enjoy the great taste of outdoor grilling? If so, then you know the importance of owning a well-equipped charcoal grill.
There are several charcoal grills on the market today to choose from like the Cuisinart CCG-100 GrateLifter Portable Charcoal Grill, Dyna-Glo Dual Zone Premium Charcoal Grill, Weber Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill, and more.
No matter if you’re grilling or slow smoking your food, you will need the right one that accommodates the size of your group.
When having the right size grill, it can speed up the cooking process. What are the benefits of buying a charcoal grill?
The primary advantage is that you will be able to enjoy the great savor delicious flavor of outdoor barbecue grilling. What should you consider before purchasing a grill?
You should look at the size of the cooking surface to determine if it is the correct size for your barbecue grilling needs.
Another important fact that should be considered is the sturdiness of the grill and how well it is constructed. So, are you looking for a standard size grill or a portable one that you can take on picnics outings, tailgate parties or camping trips?
Below is a review of the top ten best charcoal grills that are available today in 2017. Let’s look at them a little closer.
Table of Contents
- 10. Char-Broil Gas & Charcoal Combo Grill
- 9. Cuisinart CCG-100 GrateLifter Portable Charcoal Grill
- 8. Weber 121020 Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill
- 7. Weber 441001 Original Kettle 18-Inch Charcoal Grill
- 6. Dyna-Glo DGN576SNC-D Dual Zone Premium Charcoal Grill
- 5. Char-Griller 16620 Akorn Kamado Kooker Charcoal Barbecue Grill
- 4. Kingsford OGD2001901-KF Outdoor Charcoal Kettle Grill
- 3. Char-Griller 2-2424 Table Top Charcoal Grill
- 2. Char-Griller 2828 Pro Deluxe Charcoal Grill
- 1. Dyna-Glo DGN576DNC-D Premium Charcoal Grill
- Which Charcoal Grill Should You Buy?
10. Char-Broil Gas & Charcoal Combo Grill
The Char-Broil Combination Charcoal and gas grill provides two ways to prepare a meal each having a large area for food preparation. The gas grill chamber features a three burner grill with a lid and temperature gauge to regulate the gas flow. All of the burners are porcelain coated cast iron grates with the main burner producing 36,000 BTUs and the side with 12,000BTUs.
The charcoal grill chamber features a crank adjustable height charcoal grate with a slide out ash pan for trouble-free cleanup. This grill style is ideal for a gathering of people who enjoy a great charcoal taste on their food. If not, you have the option to use it as a gas grill as well.
- Perfect combination grill.
- Large cooking area.
- Good quality.
- Must be assembled.
- It’s heavy.
9. Cuisinart CCG-100 GrateLifter Portable Charcoal Grill
The Cuisinart charcoal grill gives a remarkable grilling taste each, and every time it’s used. It weighs less than 30 pounds making it easily portable for great camping trips, grill tailgate parties, or entertaining at home. The unique feature of the lift system makes it convenient and easy to gain access to the charcoal.
Another great feature is the precision air flow system which provides precise temperature control for accurate cooking. It has a 240-square-inch cooking surface with a durable porcelain enamel cover and a sturdy base for stability while grilling. For easy cleaning, it provides a large ash collection bin.
- The hinges on the lid are sturdy.
- It holds the heat well.
- It has sturdy side handles.
- Assembling is required.
- The charcoal tray is razor sharp.
8. Weber 121020 Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill
This Weber go-anywhere charcoal grill is uniquely designed with a rectangular plated cooking grate that provides a 160-square-inchs of grilling surface that can hold four nice size steaks.
For easy maneuvering, the plated steel legs fold up over the lid of the grill to help keep it in place. For added convenience, the lid contains a glass, durable nylon handle that stays cool to the touch as you cook.
There are no worries if you leave the grill out in the weather; the porcelain enameled coating will protect it from rust and fading. The two adjustable dampers provide a smooth air flow to regulate the heat for cooking. It is ideal for camping, tailgate parties at the track, or a picnic at the park.
- It’s sturdy and well made.
- It has good design features.
- Its weather protected coating is great.
- The amount of charcoal is the only way to regulate the quantity of heat.
- The small space between the cooling rack and the cooking surface.
7. Weber 441001 Original Kettle 18-Inch Charcoal Grill
The Original Kettle 18-inch charcoal grill has a 240 square inch cooking space with an 18-1/2-inch diameter plated cooking grate. When using this grill, you will have plenty of room for grilling steaks, chicken, hamburgers, and hot dogs at your next gathering. Its aluminum ash catcher will help the coals in a compartment which easily removed for emptying and cleaning.
This grilling source of power is through the charcoal and the distance between the coals and the cooking grate. The air flow is managed through a two hole air vent on top of the lid when closed giving the right temperature for grilling. It sits on three sturdy legs with two of them having wheels for moving it in a snap.
- Great quality grill.
- It has a nice size grilling space.
- Well worth the price.
- The handle on top can become hot to the touch.
- No way to adjust the cooking grate easily while cooking.
6. Dyna-Glo DGN576SNC-D Dual Zone Premium Charcoal Grill
Nothing beats the taste of grilling outdoors, and this grill is designed to make that happen with its cast iron porcelain heavy duty cooking grate which sears the food and locks in the natural juices. Its 816 square inch cooking area is designed for cooking for a large crowd and has no problem grilling up to 30 hamburgers at once.
The heat is controlled by the removable adjustment tray system which determines the distance of the coal and the cooking area. The heavy duty 8” resin wheels with 3’ locking casters make it easy to maneuver with side shelves, storage basket, and a bottle opener.
- It has an excellent temperature control system.
- The quality is well worth the price.
- It has adequate air flow.
- It has a lengthily assembling process.
- The section divider limits the amount of cooking space.
5. Char-Griller 16620 Akorn Kamado Kooker Charcoal Barbecue Grill
The durable construction of the Akorn Kooker grill is built to last for a long time. Its triple wall insulation retains the heat for adequate grilling along with the stainless steel heat gauge. When barbecuing with this grill, you will have 314 square inches of main cooking space and 133 square inches on the warming rack which makes it perfect for a gathering.
The cart is sturdy and built out of tubular steel with rubber wheels. On the caster, there is a locking system that will keep it from moving as you cook. For the user’s convenience, the index damper is numbered to make it easier to know the position of the damper.
- It’s extremely well insulated.
- The temperature control is accurate.
- It’s ideal for smoking meat.
- Over time the lid seal may not hold up.
- Over time the ash seal may not hold up.
4. Kingsford OGD2001901-KF Outdoor Charcoal Kettle Grill
The Kingsford charcoal kettle grill can grill up to 21 burgers at once on the 354 square inch cooking area. Included is a warming rack which is great to keep your food warm after you have it cooked. You will find located on the top of the lid an air vent for better control of the heating temperature.
The grill is made from steel with a long-lasting, heavy-duty porcelain coating which protects it from developing rust. There are wheels at the base of the grill to make it easier to move as well as a bottom rack for added storage.
- Is protected from rusting.
- Cooks food evenly.
- It has good quality for the price.
- The rack is not adjustable for the heat.
- It’s not able to get enough air into the chamber.
3. Char-Griller 2-2424 Table Top Charcoal Grill
The Char-Griller Table Top Charcoal Grill and Side Fire Box are ideal for those on the whim picnics. It provides an excellent smoked barbecue taste for chicken, sausages, hotdogs, hamburgers, steaks, and more. Its durable constructions are made of thick steel.
This grill has 250 square inches of cast iron, grilling grate surface which is large enough to handle a few decent size steaks. It offers a sliding drawer which gives a simple and easy way to have access to the coals and ashes. It can just be placed on a picnic table when grilling and is undoubtedly easy to transport.
- It cooks evenly.
- The convenience of the side out tray is great.
- It provides a heavy-duty design.
- Over time the paint can begin to peel.
- It doesn’t provide an accurate amount of air flow.
2. Char-Griller 2828 Pro Deluxe Charcoal Grill
The Char-Griller Pro Deluxe Charcoal Grill has 580 square inches of grilling space with a warming rack that provides a total of 270 square inches for keeping already cooked food from getting cold. The cart is constructed of sturdy tubular steel while the body is made of alternative heavy duty steel with eight-inch wheels.
It comes equipped with a heat gauge to regulate how much heat is being used to grill your favorite meats. The wood shelf with utensil hooks is perfect to keep track of your grilling utensils as well as the convenient condiment basket to the side. For added storage is a decent size bottom wire shelf.
- Heat is easily regulated.
- Made of high quality.
- It provides an excellent taste.
- It’s hard for some people to assemble.
- During shipping, it’s possible to be damaged if not properly packaged.
1. Dyna-Glo DGN576DNC-D Premium Charcoal Grill
The Dyna-Glo Premium Charcoal Grill provides cast iron sturdy sliding porcelain enameled cooking grates that maintain and preserves the heat to lock in the natural juices during grilling. The grill has a charcoal basket tray that is adjustable to assist with heat control. What’s more, the added convenience it provides gives cooking flexibility.
Another great feature that also helps with heat control is the stainless steel adjustable flu cap. Any owner of this grill will enjoy outdoor grilling with the 816 square inch cooking surface that it provides which can grill up to 30 hamburgers at once. A few other features this grill offers are the side shelves, bottle opener, and storage basket.
- The features are great.
- It’s a fantastic sturdy grill.
- Easy to assemble.
- The temperature is difficult to regulate.
- The lid doesn’t seal well.
Which Charcoal Grill Should You Buy?
In this review, you were able to see many different styles of charcoal barbecue grills with one being a dual combination of gas and charcoal. Out of the ten listed, the Char-Broil Gas & Charcoal Combo Grill, Deluxe is the one I would recommend above all the rest. The thought of being able to choose between charcoaling my food and using the gas grill is amazing to me.
As all our lives become busy at times; we don’t always have the time or luxury to use charcoal. That’s why I feel it is beneficial to the user to have a backup option when grilling.
I am sure as you looked over the grills listed above there may have been some aspects that peaked your interest.