Candles are, for many, one of the best ways to decorate a home. Candles bring a pop of elegance, and can easily tie a room together—but candles alone often aren’t enough for some people.
For those that are looking for a unique, but elegant style, candelabras are the way to go. Candelabras will bring a pop of elegance to any room in your house; especially perfect for a centerpiece, or a fireplace mantle.
Candelabras make it very easy for you to bring out your unique style in any room of your house—and make your room all the more elegant, without much effort. As candelabras have become very popular in recent years, there are a great variety of brands—and styles—available.
The History of Candelabras
Have you ever wondered how this elegant ornaments became so popular in today’s culture? Well, we’re here to fill you in. Around 3000 BC, the candle was first introduced as an essential form of lighting so people could see their surroundings at night. Candelabras date back to 400 BC and were made out of clay as a way to hold and support the candle for safety and optimum lighting.
History shows that they’re made of a variety of materials, including copper, iron, crystal, silver, gold, and brass. Flash forward in time and the silver candelabra became a popular ornament for the dinner table in the 1800’s, and was a way of decorating the table for special occasions or for the last meal of the day.
Candelabras and candles became less popular when the light bulb was invented in the 1870’s. In today’s world, we see candles a way to set the mood, offer some comfort, and provide a warm glow to our homes.
How To Choose a Candelabra
If you like the idea of owning a candelabra for your home, there are some factors you’ll need to consider during your search. Below, we’ve outlined some important considerations to bear in mind.
Times have changed from when candelabras were huge and took over the entire middle of the dining table. Now they’ve become shorter and thinner, and are available with more petite designs.
Consider the size of your furniture so that you purchase a size and shape that fits your living arrangements. Anything too large will overpower the room and become a distraction rather than an interest.
Candelabras should fit in with your home’s aesthetics so consider its design. As we mentioned earlier, you can purchase them in an array of materials, though we suggest sticking with the most popular material in your home to create a matching theme.
Next, do you like simplicity or prefer extravagent designs? Candelabras come in many different designs so decide if you’re looking for a model with a big character or petite accessories.
You should also consider the practicality. For example, you might love a large, extravagent design but have no safe, suitable place to place the candelabra. Consider its weight so the ornament doesn’t add too much weight or pressure to a shelf.
Also, if you wish to light candles within the candelabra, we suggest having a fireproof material for optimum safety. Otherwise, if it’s merely for display, make sure you have any room on the table to comfortably eat and place your cutlery without feeling squashed.
The Top 10 Best Candelabras You Can Buy
We’re aware that the most difficult process of choosing a candelabra is, for many people, the most difficult part—so we’ve made the decision process easier for you but doing the work ourselves. Below is a list of the top 10 best candelabras for sales—pros and cons for each included!
Table of Contents
- The History of Candelabras
- How To Choose a Candelabra
- The Top 10 Best Candelabras You Can Buy
- 10. Shindigz Bronze Candelabra Centerpiece
- 9. Halloween Black Spiderweb Candelabra
- 8. Studio Silversmiths White Metal 5 Light Candelabra
- 7. Oenophilia Afterglow Bottle Candelabra
- 6. SEI 9-Candle Metal Candelabra
- 5. Studio Silversmiths Black Metal 3 Light Candelabra
- 4. DEI Bottle Stopper Candelabra
- 3. Godinger Silver Art Nickle Plated Candelabra
- 2. Zingz & Thingz Elegance Candelabra
- 1. Godinger Silver Art Tradition Nickel Plated 5 Light Candelabra
- Which Candelabra Should You Buy?
10. Shindigz Bronze Candelabra Centerpiece
This beautiful candelabra is great for anyone looking for a relatively neutral color. This particular candelabra supports five candles, and, standing at 8 and a half inches high, makes a great centerpiece.
This particular piece would best be suited for a dining room table, over a romantic—or fancy—dinner. The candelabra also makes an astounding decorative piece—especially great for a mantle, or dresser.
- This particular candelabra is fairly versatile—and can be used in a variety of rooms, in a variety of ways.
- Bronze is often seen as a neutral color—and, basing off of the images provided, it appears to be a fairly dark bronze. Almost any color will make it pop even more.
- This candelabra is great for photoshoots! If you are a photographer, looking for a perfect piece to add to make your picture stand out, consider this candelabra—as aforementioned, it goes with most other colors.
- According to some reviews, the candelabra is a bit smaller than the image may indicate. Make sure to look at the dimensions before purchasing.
- Some reviews indicated that candles may be loose in this candelabra—just to be safe, we’d recommend usage of LED candles—this reduces any potential risk of candles falling out of the candelabra.
9. Halloween Black Spiderweb Candelabra
Moving on, we’ve got a remarkable spiderweb candelabra—easily one of the most unique candelabras you’re likely to come across. This piece is a black candelabra, designed to look as if the base—and other parts—are cobwebs.
As this is a more seasonal piece, we recommend picking it up around Halloween time—or before a horror movie marathon. This piece, however, could potentially be workable in any season if you were to paint it silver, or white.
- This candelabra is great for anyone that loves Halloween—and can be busted out for a horror movie party/marathon to add a touch of uniqueness to your party or gathering.
- If you are looking to add a more gothic feel to your house—or any room in your house—this candelabra is a great choice. It could also be used as a conversation piece.
- This piece is amazing for Halloween time—and can easily tie your Halloween decorations together.
- This candelabra only holds four candles, while some others in this list hold five.
- This candelabra may only fit into your decorating routine in a certain time of the year—in this case, Halloween. It may very well end up collecting dust throughout the majority of the year, depending on your overall style.
8. Studio Silversmiths White Metal 5 Light Candelabra
Moving right along to a more neutral piece, we’ve got a fairly simple white candelabra—the most neutral candelabra listed thus far. If you want a piece that can truly go with anything, this is the candelabra for you; additionally, if you want a candelabra you can make your own, the same applies.
You can very easily spray-paint the candelabra to make it your own! One reviewer actually spray-painted their candelabra a very beautiful gold, and used it as a centerpiece for a wedding—the candelabra ended up looking beautiful!
- This is the most versatile piece shown thus far. As it is white, it is easy to pair it with virtually any color—in any room.
- It’s very easy to spray-paint this candelabra, to make it any color you want. This, of course, works off the previous statement—since it can be made any color, you can use it with just about anything.
- The candle holsters in this candelabra are set up in a unique fashion—which will bring a bit of elegance to any room.
- Some reviews claim there are minor imperfections, such as paint chips or dents. It’s important to not, however, that the paint chips can easily be covered up with a fresh coat of paint.
- This particular candelabra may not be good for tower candle. We recommend using votive candles, if at all possible—due to the lighter weight of these candles. Each holster is at a different height, which can offset the weight slightly.
7. Oenophilia Afterglow Bottle Candelabra
Everyone’s been there. You finally get down to the bottom of that wine bottle, and want to find a way to repurpose it…but you can’t think of any unique way to do so. That’s where this candelabra comes in.
If you like repurposing products, this is the candelabra for you. This particular candelabra goes into your empty wine bottles—allowing you to easily reuse those empty wine bottles you can’t think of any purpose for.
- Allows you to reuse old wine bottles—the crafty types will love this!
- The candelabra is a great conversational piece and an eye-catcher.
- The candelabra ships gift boxed—perfect for a wedding gift!
- You can only use this particular candelabra with empty bottles, as it is not a stopper.
- Reviews imply it may only fit certain wine bottle sizes.
6. SEI 9-Candle Metal Candelabra
This is a fairly unique candelabra—featuring a completely flat base, as opposed to the rounding base candelabras have. It is primarily used for pillar or tea light candles but has the most holsters out of any candelabra thus far—having nine holsters.
- This candelabra offers the most holsters out of any candelabra on this list, boasting nine total candle holsters.
- This is likely the safest candelabra you will ever find—it won’t be easy to knock this particular candelabra over, as its base is completely flat.
- This particular candelabra is a bit more sturdy than others. It has a wider base, so it isn’t as easy to knock it over.
- As it is a simple rectangular shape, it lacks the elegance that many candelabra boast.
- This candelabra appears to be primarily for pillar candles—which might not work for everyone.
5. Studio Silversmiths Black Metal 3 Light Candelabra
- The candelabra is made with real, sturdy metal.
- The candelabra comes in three different colors—black, white, and silver.
- This particular candelabra has a relatively neutral design—so it’s good for a centerpiece.
- While this is a debatable con, the candelabra is not currently available on Amazon; though you can very easily find it elsewhere, most likely.
- Some reviews mentioned receiving broken or damaged products.
4. DEI Bottle Stopper Candelabra
For anyone that liked the idea of number 7—the wine bottle candelabra—but would prefer a candelabra that doubles as a stopper, this is the candelabra for you! This two holster candelabra sits comfortably in your wine bottles.
- This candelabra doubles as a stopper—meaning it works perfectly for anyone that wanted number seven but wanted to use it as a stopper, as well.
- This particular piece would be a great conversation starter.
- The candelabra features a fairly simplistic design, so you can use it easily in any situation.
- This candelabra only features two holsters—the least out of any thus far.
- Some reviewers claim the holsters are slightly narrow.
3. Godinger Silver Art Nickle Plated Candelabra
This nickel-plated candelabra is one of the most elegant candelabras shown thus far. It is designed to be elegant and is meant to be the main center of attention.
- It is a beautiful candelabra, and will easily be the main attraction to your decorations.
- This particular candelabra is fairly light, weighing about 2 pounds.
- The candelabra will shimmer beautifully in light.
- There is minor assembly required—you simply screw the pieces in, no screwdriver required. This can be complicated for some, however.
- Many people claim that the paint often comes chipped on the candelabra.
2. Zingz & Thingz Elegance Candelabra
This exceptionally beautiful candelabra is astounding for anyone looking to buy a candelabra that will stand out more than anything. This candelabra features acrilyic beads, which make it truly pop.
- Usable to light the night—it uses primarily tealight candles, so electric tealight candles can easily be used to add some light in the night.
- The acrylic beads make the candelabra stand out significantly—as it brings a pop of uniqueness to play.
- This candelabra is made with real iron; something that can be hard to come across.
- This particular piece is heavier than some other candelabra listed—weighing about 4 pounds.
- Many reviews claim the product is cheaply made and was received bent—but this could depend on whoever may be shipping it.
1. Godinger Silver Art Tradition Nickel Plated 5 Light Candelabra
We’re ending the list off with the most elegant, and beautiful candelabra listed—great for anyone wanting a five-holster candelabra with dangling crystals. Some may notice that this is actually similar to number 3 on this list—and that is because it is a more elegant version of it.
- The beads give a great sense of elegance.
- The candelabra’s polish is very beautiful.
- The curved holsters add a pop of elegance to the piece.
- Similarly to number 3, many reported chipped paint.
- The included beads may weigh the candelabra down.
Which Candelabra Should You Buy?
As you can see, there are many different candelabras—and styles—to choose from. Deciding on the right candelabra for you and your home can be a very complicated—and often tedious—process, but we hope to have taken some of the tedium out of the process for you—and helped you reach the fun part faster.
Finding ways to decorate using your new candelabra, or, alternatively, make your candelabra your own! Click here to check out the one we bought!