The right air mattress is essential to a good night’s sleep enjoying your camping trip. When I set out on a long camping trip, I made the mistake of thinking a couple of yoga mats and a sleeping bag would be enough.
After just two days I knew I was wrong, and quickly made my way to the nearest store offering air mattresses.
Features of The Best Mattresses
We can’t wait to share the top 10 best camping air mattresses with you. But first, let’s discuss the best features of high-quality mattresses so you can determine the best one for your needs and budget.
Doesn’t Deflate Throughout The Night
Air mattresses need to be comfortable and secure for sleeping on. Therefore, one of the top features to look for is that it holds air throughout the night. If you wake up in the middle of the night with your mattress half-deflated, there’s no way you’ll get back to a peaceful sleep.
Plus, if you’re camping for several days, it can be very time-consuming to inflate the mattress every single night because it’s lost air due to its poor quality.
Easy To Set Up
Timing is everything when you’re camping. You don’t want to spend hours setting up and then hours again getting everything back together to take home with you. The best air mattresses are easy to set up, meaning that they inflate and deflate quickly.
A queen-size air mattress will take her around 4 minutes to pump up to its fullest. But, smaller bed sizes should take a lot less time. This time-efficiency all comes down to the quality of the mattress. Does it have air valves that are easy to find? Does it have multiple valves? Are the pumps well-sealed so no leaks will happen? Don’t accept anything less than these features.
Factors To Consider When Choosing a Camping Air Mattress
When you’re selecting the air mattress to bring on your camping trip here are a few things you want to consider.
- Will you have access to a power supply on your camping trip? Some mattresses use hand pumps powered by 4D batteries or a rechargeable battery, while others require an AC outlet.
- How long is your camping trip? If you plan on using your air mattress for multiple days, you’ll want to consider a mattress made of a higher quality that will hold up to wear and tear.
- How many people will be sharing a mattress? Most queen mattresses support an average of 500 – 600 pounds, but smaller twin mattresses only support up to 300 pounds.
- How much do you want to spend? Does it make sense to buy a cheap mattress that you might be replacing every once and awhile? Or, buy a more costly mattress that will last longer.
- What size mattress do you need? Before choosing an air mattress, you need to know what size is comfortable and suitable for carrying around with you. Also, bear in mind how many people will be sleeping on each mattress, so everyone has adequate space for a good night’s sleep.
- How firm is the mattress? Similar to your mattress at home, you should consider the firmness of your mattress for camping. For example, if you suffer with aching muscles and painful joints, a firmer model will suit your body better. But for a portable mattress, a softer material is easier to fold and carry around, while providing a comfortable sleep.
- How and where will you store the mattress? Weigh up the amount of room you have in your backpack for your mattress. Also, consider that when you deflate it and put it back into the original packaging, it won’t fit into your backpack like it did at the beginning.
- Lastly, make sure you give yourself time to inflate the mattress a few days before you plan on using it so that it can stretch to its full form. This way you don’t end up on the ground your first night of camping.
Air Mattress vs Sleeping Pad
Throughout your search, you might have discovered sleeping pads. But, what is the difference between these two products and which will provide the most comfortable night’s sleep while camping? Air mattresses tend to have a thicker and cushioned material, making them a more popular purchase among campers. On the other hand, sleeping pads are smaller, which makes them convenient for traveling around with you. This portability factor is sometimes more important than comfort for some campers. Sleeping pads tend to have options too, including inflatable and foam versions.
The Top 10 Best Camping Air Mattresses To Buy
Below are the top 10 best air mattresses to consider in 2019 when shopping for your next camping trip. All measurements are the width, length, and height in inches.[toc]
10. Intex Raised Downy Airbed
The Intex Raised Downy Airbed is composed of two chambers. The bottom chamber is designed to function as a box spring for extra firmness and support. The mattress top is covered in waterproof flocking material. The airbed Inflates in about 5 minutes using the built-in electric pump.
This queen-sized mattress measures 60” x 80” x 22” inches when inflated and has a 600-pound weight capacity. Indentations on the sides are designed to grip fitted sheets, so they do not slide off in the night. The mattress deflates completely to fit into a duffel bag for easy storage.
- Raised 22 inches from the floor, making it easier to get out of the bed in the morning.
- Quick inflation time at about 5 minutes to full inflation.
- Fits in an easy-to-carry duffel bag with handles.
- Less expensive than other air mattresses.
- Advertised as a home mattress, may not hold up to camper use.
- Electric pump means you need a power source to inflate the mattress.
9. AirBedz Lite Truck Bed Air Mattress
If you are camping with a flatbed truck, the Truck Bed Air Mattress is a great way to convert your flatbed into a comfortable bed. Designed with cutouts on each side to allow the mattress to fit around wheel wells, this mattress comes in several sizes to fit various truck bed sizes.
The Truck Bed Air Mattress basic models includes a 12v pump and a charging cord, while the higher end models include a built-in rechargeable battery air pump and are made of high gauge PVC. With five different sizes ranging from mid-size with a short bed to a full size with an 8 ft long bed, the Truck Bed Air Mattress should fit in just about any flatbed truck.
- With five different size options, the mattress will fit in just about any size truck bed.
- Comes with a charging cord that can be plugged into your 12v adapter in your truck or built-in rechargeable air pump.
- Air coil system evenly distributes weight and has cutouts for wheel wells.
- If you don’t have a flatbed truck, this option is not for you.
- Some reviewers mention that the mattress did not quite fit in their truck bed comfortably.
8. WonderSleep Classic Series Air Mattress
This queen size mattress has inflated dimensions of 58” x 78” x 20”, taller than most queen air mattress. The mattress is made of an extra thick puncture resistant PVC with a reinforced bottom and weighs just 15 pounds. A rotary knob next to the 120V AC Connector allows you to easily switch between inflating and deflating and fully inflates in 4 minutes.
- High-quality material, making it more puncture resistant than other mattresses.
- Quick inflation time of 4 minutes.
- Tall mattress for a touch of luxury and ease getting out of the bed in the morning.
- More expensive than other mattresses on the market.
- Recommends a 120 AC connection, although a manual air valve is included.
- Not advertised as a camping mattress.
7. SoundAsleep Camping Series Air Mattress
Available in both Queen or Twin Size, this camping air mattress is fully inflated in under 3 minutes using a rechargeable external pump.
Since this mattress is made explicitly for camping, it is made of extra thick eco-friendly PVC material, making it less likely to puncture. The queen mattress has inflated dimensions of 60” x 78” x 9,” and the twin measures 42” x 75” x 9”.
- Specially designed for camping, the thicker material is designed to withstand ground debris.
- Inflates in less than 3 minutes.
- Available in two sizes (Queen or Full).
- Lower to the ground than others on this list, just 9 inches tall.
- Rechargeable pump means you need to remember to charge the pump before you need to use it.
6. Coleman Queen Airbed Cot
A unique solution for those who struggle to get up out of bed or those that dislike sleeping low to the ground, this airbed comes with a cot that elevates the mattress 22 inches off the ground. Full measurements are 59” x 78” x 22”.
The airbed folding cot can support up to 600 pounds and accommodates people up to 6 foot 2 inches in height. The included pump runs off 4D batteries and inflates the mattress in minutes. Another unique feature of this airbed is the two side tables with cup holders.
- Folding cot with a carrying bag.
- Side tables with cup holders.
- Air mattress can be removed from the frame.
- On the heavier side at 43.7 pounds.
- May be cumbersome and space consuming for campers with limited space.
5. Coleman Double High SupportRest Airbed
Designed for both indoor and outdoor use the Coleman Double High SupportRest Airbed supports up to 600 pounds. Ridged sides, called “PillowStop,” keep pillows from sliding off the bed. Using a technology Coleman calls “ComfortStrong”, reinforced coils provide a more stable and supportive sleeping surface.
Fully inflated, the airbed measures 60” x 78” x 18” and fits standard queen sheets. The airbed has a built-in 120V AC pump but can also be inflated with a hand pump. Coleman provides a 1-year limited AirTight System warranty, promising to be a leak-free mattress for up to a year.
- PillowStop keeps pillows from sliding off the bed
- Two options for inflating the mattress; a built-in 120V AC pump or a (not included) hand pump
- 1-year limited warranty on leaks.
- If you don’t have access to an outlet, you will want to purchase an additional hand pump.
- Some reviewers mention it leaks sooner than they would expect for the cost.
4. AeroBed Mattress by Aero
If you’re camping with kids, the Aerobed Air Mattress for Kids measures 25” x 50” x 10” and is made of heavy-duty PVC. The mattress includes a 4 inch high surround safety cushion to help keep children from rolling off the mattress.
This mattress also includes a washable fitted mattress pad. The mattress inflates in less than a minute with the included AC pump and supports up to 300 pounds.
- Washable fitted mattress pad.
- Surround safety cushion to keep children from rolling off the mattress
- Inflates in less than a minute.
- For kids or short people only.
- Makes loud rubber noises when the occupant moves.
- Requires outlet to inflate.
3. SoundAsleep Twin Sized Dream Series Air Mattress
This twin size air mattress is made of waterproof, extra thick puncture resistant material. Inflated the mattress is 38” x 73” x 18”.
The integrated 120V pump is quieter than most and fully inflates the bed in under 3 minutes. This mattress has 21 individual air coils designed to provide a flat sleeping surface for up to 300 pounds.
- 18 inches tall keeps you higher off the ground
- Inflates in under 3 minutes
- Lighter than most air mattresses at 13.5 pounds
- Requires an outlet to inflate
- Designed for only one person
2. Insta-Bed Raised Air Mattress
The “NeverFlat” AC pump included with the Insta-Bed Raised Air Mattress ensures that this mattress maintains a constant pressure all night long using internal sensors to automatically, and silently, add air when needed.
The Insta-Bed provides you with the option to select from three comfort levels; plush, medium, or firm. Included with the mattress is a removable pillow top that helps regulate the bed temperature and provides extra comfort. This queen mattress measures 60” x 80” x 18” inflated, weighs about 25 pounds and can support up to 500 pounds.
- Removable, washable pillow top.
- NeverFlat AC Pump allows you to maintain a constant pressure all night.
- 18” tall, keeping you off the ground.
- For the NeverFlat feature to work, the mattress must be plugged into an AC outlet all night.
- Heavier than other air mattresses at 25 pounds.
1. SoundAsleep Queen Dream Series Air Mattress
The SoundAsleep Queen Dream Series Air Mattress fully inflates in 4 minutes using a built-in AC pump. The EZ pump AC pump can be set to the sleeper’s desired firmness level. This queen mattress is a raised “double-height” mattress measuring 58” x 78” x 19” and can support up to 500 pounds.
The mattress is made of a multilayer 15 gauge puncture-resistant PVC material. With ComfortCoil technology this mattress has 40 internal coils designed to increase durability and support. A nylon storage bag is included for storage and easy transport.
- Sleeps up to 500 pounds.
- 40 internal air coils keep the mattress flat and supportive.
- Full inflation in 4 minutes with the built-in AC pump.
- Requires AC Outlet to inflate mattress.
- More expensive than other air mattresses.
- Advertised as for home use only.
Which Camping Air Mattress Should You Buy?
In conclusion, selecting the right air mattress for your camping trip truly depends on your personal preferences and what amenities you will have access to (specifically an AC Outlet).
The air mattresses above cover a wide variety of options, from taller mattresses to those that inflate quickly, to those made specifically for use in pickup trucks.
Of all the mattresses listed above, I would select the SoundAsleep Camping Series Air Mattress for a few reasons. While it is lower to the ground than most of the mattresses on the list, it would fit better in a standard 2 – 4 person tent than a taller mattress.
The cost for the value seems reasonable since it is specifically designed to withstand ground debris and puncturing. Although the rechargeable pump may be a turn-off to some, the pump can be charged in the car while you drive to your camping destination, or you can buy a 4D battery powered pump as a backup option.