Buying a perfect butcher knife is the key to having an absolute perfect kitchen setup especially if you love working with food and cooking fabulous meals very often!
There are countless varieties of different meat cuts and fish, so having an efficient knife is essential to getting the job done in every scenario. Having a great butcher knife can making chopping, slicing, and even butchering much more easier and simple.
When looking for a high-end butcher knife you may also want to consider various buying options such as:
- the different size of the blade and handle
- sharpness and durability
- width (blade and handle)
- flexibly or stiffness
- curved or straight edge
- and many other personal preferences!
These diverse distinct styles can accommodate the different needs and techniques for various individuals in the kitchen. It can make your cooking time more fun and uncomplicated by spending less time struggling with a regular ol’ knife.
If your still confused by the different variations and wondering what kind of butcher knife to purchase, then no worries!
I have reviewed the top 10 best butcher knives on the market in 2018.
Table of Contents
- 1. Victorinox Cutlery 12-inch Straight Butcher Knife
- 2. Ontario Knife 7111 Old Hickory Butcher Knife
- 3. Rada Cutlery Old Fashioned Butcher Knife
- 4. Dexter Russell 10-inch Butcher Knife
- 5. Victorinox Cutlery 8-inch Grafton Edge Butcher Knife
- 6. Ontario Knife 7111 Old Hickory Butcher Knife
- 7. DALSTRONG Bonding Knife
- 8. Victorinox 10-inch Curved Breaking Knife
- 9. F. Dick Ergogrip 10-inch Butcher Knife
- 10. Mad Cow Cutlery Stiff Curved Boning Knife
- Which Butcher Knife Should You Buy?
1. Victorinox Cutlery 12-inch Straight Butcher Knife
Originally known as the creator for the world’s first Swiss Army Knife, the Victorinox Cutlery butcher knife is an outstanding tool that has taken everyone by surprise! It is a wonderful butcher knife used mainly for tough meats and fish.
It was also skillfully made by Switzerland experts who ice-tempered the blade to ensure its sharpness for long periods of time. The ergonomic design also allows comfort and endurance when using. It is balanced perfectly and NSF approved! The Victorinox comes in different sizes as well from 8-inch, 10-inch, and 12-inch for your own personal preference!
- Exclusive sharp blade made from high end carbon stainless steel
- Lifetime warranty from the manufacture
- Slip resistant handle
- May be too large and difficult for small hands
- Large long blade
2. Ontario Knife 7111 Old Hickory Butcher Knife
The Ontario Knife 7111 is very durable and can withstand many tasks from chopping food to industrial and heavy agriculture use. Since this particular knife is commonly used for more tougher jobs, it can even be used on a daily basis.
Due to this fact, this classic knife is secured by stable brass compression rivets and well-made for any heavy-duty job! You are even able to easily sharpen these butcher knives and use them for many years to come. Since these butcher knives have been around for ages, they are now completely re-innovated to perform and meet higher and better standards!
- Highly designed for toughness
- Easily sharpens into cutting-edge razor thin blades
- Extra long handle and blade designed for various jobs
- Rusts easily
- Does not come with safety cover or holster
3. Rada Cutlery Old Fashioned Butcher Knife
This amazing old fashioned butcher knife completely cuts through anything you can think of! It also can withstand many years without showing any signs of rust or corrosion. The Rada Cutlery is one heck of a knife and never loses its sharpness!
It can cut through many types of tough animal meat such as deer or elk, and also other tough materials without ever going dull. With its new sleek and shiny design, it is bound to leave an impression!
- Made from quality surgical-grade T420 high carbon stainless steel
- Beautiful cutting-edge craftsmanship
- Heavy duty 7-3/4 cutting blade
- Silver brushed aluminum handle which can easily cause slips
- Comes with no safety grip, holding case, or cover
4. Dexter Russell 10-inch Butcher Knife
The Dexter Russell butcher knife is genuinely very popular due to its fine sharp pointed tip. It is widely used by many people for BBQ and cutting through tough meat such as huge roasts or briskets and slicing them into perfect thin portions.
Many other Dexter-Russell knives come in various shapes, sizes, and lengths. They can also hold up to a lifetime with the proper care. This huge instrument is rarely used as an everyday knife for common foods such as fruits or vegetables, but when its time for action, you can count on the Dexter Russell to take care of it for you!
- Pointed tip blade for getting into thick meat cuts
- Made from stainless steel
- Free straight edge for more space while cutting
- Plastic handle
- Heavier than most other butcher knives which may be uncomfortable to use for smaller hands
5. Victorinox Cutlery 8-inch Grafton Edge Butcher Knife
This massive butcher knife was specially designed and used for large thick portions of meats. Although it can be used for anything, the blade of the knife naturally provides a sanitary base for food. Down the handle also eliminates many open crevices where bacteria can grow.
The handle also comes with an extra secure finger-grip guard to ensure safety and maximize its use. The Victorinox can easily be very durable and resharpened hundreds of times without ever breaking down! Now that’s a knife!
- Curved with a pointed tip to easily slice through anything
- Made from top-notch high carbon stainless steel
- Handle specially designed to prevent wrist and hand irritability
- Hand-washed only
- Handle can get extremely slippery from grease and wetness causing slips
6. Ontario Knife 7111 Old Hickory Butcher Knife
The Ontario Knife 7111 Old Hickory Butcher knife is a well put-together knife that has been the first choice of many famous chefs and professional butchers that work in animal slaughter houses.
The hardwood handle provides a sturdy grip and allows maximum tension when using it. If properly taken care of, it can last a person for years on edge without ever losing its sharpness!
- Made and designed in the USA
- Can be used for industrial work
- Used by professional butchers and chefs
- Heavier than standard butcher knives
- Rust and corrosion may happen if not properly taken care of
7. DALSTRONG Bonding Knife
The DALSTRONG Bonding knife has been incredible over the years by including cutting-edge technology through its design. This award-winning Shogun Series has been cooled by nitrogen to ensure its resistant to rust and corrosion.
This beautiful knife was perfectly designed to take on any challenge in the kitchen and hand-crafted to precision. This is a 6-inch blade with a mirror-finish to give it a stunning polished appearance.
You can ultimately do anything with a knife like this from skinning, trimming, butterflying, and even de-boning. From incorporating Japanese sword making techniques into the building the DALSTRONG, it has been made most popular with Japanese chefs and even used all over the world today!
- 67 layers of pure Japanese steel
- Lifetime warranty along with an included sheath
- G10 handle with fiberglass reisin
- Not as flexible as other filleting knives
- More pricier than other standard butcher knives
8. Victorinox 10-inch Curved Breaking Knife
The Victorinox 10-inch Curved Breaking knife was designed for more smaller cuts of meat. By having a sharp up-turned blade, it allows for you to easily trim, skin, or slice into meat without violently ripping through it.
The Victorinox can also easily remove bones and excess fat leaving you with a perfect thin and clean slice of meat. The soft rosewood handle also gives your hands all the control and lets you easily slice through anything with its intense sharpness!
- The curved blade allows one pass when cutting or slicing into meats
- Cold pressed for more durability
- Wooden handle for easier use
- Smaller and less flexible than most butchering knives
- Hand-wash only to prevent rust and corrosion
9. F. Dick Ergogrip 10-inch Butcher Knife
The F. Dick Ergogrip 10-inch Butcher Knife has been used all over the world for many years! In fact, this carving knife is currently used from 9 out of 10 culinary schools and institutions worldwide!
It has always been the top choice for German chefs since 1778 and now making its way into the 21st century. This knife is very comfortable to hold and can be used on various different foods from large to small sized fruits and vegetables to even tough meats.
It is completely razor sharp and doesn’t require no extra special care! This means you can use it for years and still expected it to be in perfect condition!
- Ergo-grip handle for easy maunvering
- Well-known and trusted brand name
- Commonly used for various meats
- Long blade and handle which my be difficult for small hands
- Plastic handle
10. Mad Cow Cutlery Stiff Curved Boning Knife
The Mad Cow Cutlery JERO TR is an amazing knife that packs a lot of punch into such a small blade! It is overall very dependable and can last on years edge with proper resharpening occasionally.
The tight rubber grip handle is made from propylene and an extra thick layer of soft rubber to provide you with a comfortable and secure grip when using it. This cool handle is also heat resistant and non-toxic, which is an added bonus!
- Manufactured from German high carbon stainless-steel
- Handle created with a thick layer of non-slip rubber for an added amount of protection and to ensure a tight grip
- Can only be used for small foods
- Requires resharpening after several uses
Which Butcher Knife Should You Buy?
When deciding its time to purchase a new butcher knife, you may want to consider the different pros and cons to each product and what you typically prefer. You should also consider what you like whether its from stainless steel to high-tech Japanese steel.
Or if you’d like wooden handles instead of rubber grips. Prices are another great thing to consider when investing in a top-notch butcher knife.
Throughout the different aspects of purchasing a high quality butcher knife, it will definitely be a savior when it comes to dealing with cooking, hunting, skinning, de-boning and more! You will always have your go-to tool with you to make life just a little bit easier!