Having children in your life doesn’t have to mean giving up everything you enjoy, at least not cycling anyway. You don’t have to ride at odd hours just to squeeze a little personal time in when there is a trailer designed specifically to haul little ones hitched to your bike.
Most children enjoy car rides but in no way do they compare with a ride in the open air. Which of the dozens of brands to choose from can be a tough question to answer.
There’s a lot to consider before purchasing a trailer that carries a cargo as precious as a child, but once you’ve made your choice, the world opens up for both of you.
If your child isn’t comfortable, the ride likely won’t last long so the first thing to look at is seating design and what type of child restraints are used.
Next is road worthiness, then your ready to head outside and enjoy a combo of quality time with your little one as well as fitness training for yourself. Some days are just too busy for research so instead of looking all over the internet, check out the following 10 kids trailers.
We’ve reviewed the top 10 best bike trailers for kids in 2018 to help you make an easier buying decision.
Table of Contents
- 10. Weehoo iGo 2 Bike Trailer
- 9. Burley Kids’ Encore Trailer
- 8. InStep Sync Single Bicycle Trailer
- 7. Schwinn Trailblazer Single Bike Trailer
- 6. Allen Sports Premium Aluminum 2 Child Bicycle Trailer
- 5. Aosom Elite II 3in1 Double Child Bike Trailer
- 4. Schwinn Trailblazer Double Bicycle Trailer
- 3. InStep Sierra Double Bicycle Trailer
- 2. InStep Quick N EZ Double Bicycle Trailer
- 1. InSTEP Take 2 Double Bicycle Trailer
- Which Biker Trailer Should You Buy For Your Kids?
10. Weehoo iGo 2 Bike Trailer
This vibrant red color is more than eye-catching, it’s also a safety measure since brighter colors can be seen further than drab ones. The light weight steel frame easily handles a weight capacity of 80 lbs and with the chain being enclosed, there are no worries about little fingers trying to play with it. The 20-inch wheel is puncture-resistant and 15mm axle nuts keep it securely attached to the frame.
- Modular design allows for either an extra seat or cargo basket to be added.
- A weight limit of 80 lbs. easily allows two children to ride in safety as long as the heavier child uses the front seat.
- The trailer itself only weighs 44 pounds so lifting it when necessary is no trouble.
- Does not fold up so taking it along for things like vacation isn’t feasible unless it goes in the back of a truck.
- Caution is advised when getting children into or out of the trailer because there is no “kickstand” to keep it steady and it could be knocked over by an energetic or anxious child.
9. Burley Kids’ Encore Trailer
With a frame of durable, lightweight aluminum, pulling this trailer along (even loaded with two children) requires very little effort. Covering is water resistant and side windows are tinted for UV protection.
For days the weather isn’t quite perfect, little ones riding in the Encore are well protected from the elements. A spacious cargo area has plenty of room for whatever you need to take along, and when the ride is over the “fold flat” design makes storing it out of the way very easy.
- Hammock style seat allows plenty of room for two.
- PBurley trailers don’t just meet industry safety standards, they exceed them and are thoroughly tested by some of the toughest procedures yet thought of. arking brake is easily set or disengaged with your foot.
- Seating design encourages “slouching” and to correct this some have resorted to using pillows to help the child sit up straighter and be more comfortable.
- Safety pole can work its way loose and may require frequent tightening.
8. InStep Sync Single Bicycle Trailer
Designed with a mesh screen and weather shield, your child can enjoy the outdoors in comfort riding along behind you while tucked securely inside. Featuring durable pneumatic tires ensures a smoother ride, and molded rims give it a look of class children may not notice but adults appreciate.
A harness rather than a seatbelt keeps little ones snuggly in place so you don’t have to worry about them working anything loose and “making a break for it.”
- 40 pound weight limit ensures your child will be able to use the InStep until they are ready for their own bike.
- Wheels are easily removed for storage.
- Frame folds flat when not in use, finding a place to keep it out of your way will be easy.
- Rims are plastic and tend to warp easily which may cause tubes in tires to burst.
- Material is thin and has no padding (pillows help in adding to the comfort factor.)
7. Schwinn Trailblazer Single Bike Trailer
The Schwinn name on a bike always meant you had quality and the same can be said for their kids trailers. 16-inch pneumatic tires have the performance you need and molded rims provide style to go with it.
The two-in-one canopy provides screening to let the breeze in but keeps insects out and a weather shield is ready for winds that are a little too cool. Knowing your child is safe in a Schwinn product makes the ride more enjoyable for both of you.
- Universal coupler works for most bikes with no problems.
- Interior is so comfortable, your child may be napping instead of enjoying the view.
- Easily detached wheels and a foldable frame make finding places to store this trailer no problem at all.
- Harness and seats are not padded which can be uncomfortable on long rides.
- Finding adaptors for couplers that don’t fit a specific bike is difficult if not impossible.
6. Allen Sports Premium Aluminum 2 Child Bicycle Trailer
This multi-tasking trailer not only gets your child where you’re going in safety and comfort, it also converts to a stroller when you arrive. The aluminum frame is sturdy yet light so pulling it even with two children inside won’t tire you out.
A foot bed insert offers more comfort on bumpy ground so it doesn’t matter what the geography is like, a comfortable child is a happier one. Large windows let children see the world all around them, not just what’s in front and this keeps even the fussiest of riders entertained.
- Able to support two children up to 50 pounds each.
- Safety harness ensure they stay where you put them.
- Fast and easy to use weather shield helps keep children dry in the event of sudden rain.
- Clicking noises can sometimes be heard from where the front extension connects to the trailer. This can be irritating and may indicate loose connections.
- Lack of head room leads to children with a helmet on having to bend their head forward in an uncomfortable position.
5. Aosom Elite II 3in1 Double Child Bike Trailer
When gym time is not an option, the Aosom Elite gives parents a chance to get out of the house for some serious exercise. Designed to function equally well as a trailer and stroller, it also works well for those who’d rather jog than ride.
Constructed of light steel, its 20-inch wheels offer a smooth ride on pavement or bare ground. With an 88-pound weight limit, two children can ride in comfort on the sling style, pocketed seat.
- Swivel front wheel locks in place, offering greater control when used as a stroller.
- All-weather canopy ensures your child is protected no matter what it’s like outdoors.
- Folds to fit most trunks or small storage areas.
- Seat is not reinforced which can cause child to slide into a dangerous position if something solid is not placed under the cushion to prevent sliding.
- Even when collapsed, it can be difficult to get through a doorway.
4. Schwinn Trailblazer Double Bicycle Trailer
Lightweight aluminum frame is easy to handle, and rather than unreliable plastic rims, the ones on this Schwinn trailer are also aluminum. 20-inch pneumatic tires are quick release so folding the whole thing up for storage is an easy chore for one.
This offer includes the swiveling front wheel and handle bar necessary to convert from trailer to stroller mode. A parking brake ensures safety while being used as a stroller and whether being pulled or pushed, the 2-in-1 canopy protects your child from weather and bugs.
- Two sturdy harnesses keeps your children secure.
- Half of each harness can be used if you prefer a single child to sit in the middle.
- Padded seat is comforting on little behinds.
- Foot rest is low to the ground and may develop holes in the material from dragging friction.
- Hitch pin attaches horizontally rather than vertically making it a difficult fit for some modern bike rear hubs.
3. InStep Sierra Double Bicycle Trailer
Pneumatic tires on this trailer are not only durable, they provide a comfortable ride whether your pulling your child along behind you, or using it as a stroller. With a maximum weight limit of 80 pounds there is room for two to ride in comfort with a bug screen and weather shield to protect them.
Everything you need to convert from trailer to stroller mode is included with the purchase and all disassembles for storage as easily as it is to put together.
- Folding frame needs less room for storage.
- Deluxe harness and padded seat keeps child safe and comfortable.
- Not all trailer/strollers have parking brakes but this one does.
- Speeds over 10 MPH risk tire “blowouts.”
- Plastic cover must be in place to prevent rear tire of bike from throwing “road grit” back towards trailer rider.
2. InStep Quick N EZ Double Bicycle Trailer
Family oriented cyclists will love this one. Quick release wheels and a folding frame make this trailer easily transportable anywhere you want to take it.
Pneumatic tires offer a comfortable ride whether your riding or strolling, and whichever way you choose to travel the canopy’s bug screen and weather shield will keep your child protected. With padding and support for little ones, time spent outdoors is more enjoyable for biker and riders.
- When travelling, having a trailer than can double as a stroller makes loading the car so much easier.
- Swiveling front wheel offers more maneuverability when in stroller mode.
- Coupler attaches to most bicycles with no issues.
- Upright seat has no way to recline which tends to push the helmet forward into an uncomfortable position.
- Billed as a two seater, there is not enough room for feet when both seats are occupied.
1. InSTEP Take 2 Double Bicycle Trailer
Versatility in a bike trailer counts when you have children, at least it does if you ever plan to leave the house for a ride or stroll and aren’t able to carry your child every step of the way.
Instead, let them ride in comfort enjoying the padded seats. A trailer like this makes an excellent addition to vacation equipment because its simple folding design fits almost anywhere you need to store it.
- Coupler easily attaches to most bicycles.
- 16-inch pneumatic tires offer a smooth ride and a canopy provides protection from weather or annoying insects.
- Easily converts from trailer to stroller when you feel like jogging instead of riding your bike.
- Lack of bottom support causes canvas to sag when child is put inside.
- Cover is barely long enough to reach buttons for closure and may need to be “stretched” to make the connection.
Which Biker Trailer Should You Buy For Your Kids?
Now that you know where to find 10 of the most popular bike trailers on Amazon all you have to do is decide which one works for you. They all serve the same purpose but the one I would put my own child in is the Schwinn Trailblazer mainly because of the name it carries and their strict policy of quality control.
Also, because when I gave my 30-year old Schwinn bike to a friends child all it needed was a little dusting off to be ready for the road. Known for functional, strong and durable products, this brand has been inspiring consumer confidence for decades.