It is no big secret that using a functional backpack is no longer just a trend with school-aged children. Men and women of all ages are finding that there are hundreds of benefits to using a backpack over a briefcase, purse, or other hand-held bag. Ditch that hand-held torture device, and sling the perfect backpack over your shoulders today.
You may now be asking yourself which backpack is right for you and for your pocketbook.
A Backpack vs Suitcase
If you’re a frequent traveler, you’ve likely tried both units to store your items, but what are the benefits of a backpack compared to a suitcase? First, a backpack is lighter and smaller making it more convenient to carry during your travels. This means less time waiting to check-in your luggage and you avoid lengthy queues at the airport waiting to retrieve your luggage.
If you’ll be traveling up many flights of stairs and staying in confined spaces, it makes sense to purchase a backpack for the added convenience, and to easily and quickly get around places.
Factors To Consider When Purchasing a Travel Backpack
Choosing the wrong backpack could leave you in a world of pain.
Choosing a high-end luxury backpack with designer tags would break the bank for many. So sit back, relax, and consider a few qualities that we think are paramount to the perfect backpack.
That backpack may have just one pouch to store the materials you need for the hike, while the backpack you choose for the office has a laptop pouch, pen pouches, and three more large pouches to separate paperwork.
It’s great to have multiple compartments to keep your items safe, secure, and organized. For example, you can keep a wet umbrella in one pocket, a dress in another, and dirty shoes in a separate section to keep everything in its best condition.
This is also a great way of accessing all of your items when you arrive at your destination so you don’t have to look through your entire backpack to locate a specific thing.
It’s also essential that each compartment has a lockable zipper to keep your items safe and secure should you worry about someone stealing something. We recommend a package that states it has TSA-friendly locks as these enable the TSA to open your backpack without damaging it.
Consider using a backpack made with waterproof material for a rainy hike in the woods. For some people, they don’t need a waterproof design as a semi-waterproof material is more than enough. Most importantly, you don’t want the backpack to smell or get musty if it comes into contact with water.
Consider if you’ll be traveling far with your backpack, particularly on treks as this will affect the material’s maximum weight. For example, nylon fiber is a great go-to since it’s lightweight while remaining water-resistant and reliable for downpours.
If you’ll be trekking with your backpack, it needs to be comfortable and ergonomically-designed to not cause any pain or discomfort. A padded belt is a great feature to distribute the overall weight to reduce any strain. You can also adjust a padded belt for additional support and comfort.Padded shoulder straps are comfortable to apply less pressure and strain on your shoulders and reduce any tension in your lower back. Ensure the padding is thick and comfortable as a thin, flimsy design won’t contribute to comfort.
There’s no use purchasing a backpack that is bigger than what you need as this will just add unnecessary weight and take up space. Consider the bare essentials you’ll need for your trip so your new backpack can hold everything without damaging the material. You should also purchase one that’s proportional to your body to keep you balanced and prevent any back pain.
If you plan to take your backpack on an airplane, research the maximum dimensions you’re allowed – including any handles, straps, and wheels. However, if you’ll be storing the backpack in a vehicle for the journey, consider the number of passengers and other items traveling with you.
The Top 10 Best Travel Backpacks To Buy
Whatever the case may be, we are sure you’ll find your perfect backpack in our version of the top 10 best backpacks in 2019 to fit anyone’s budget.
Table of Contents
- A Backpack vs Suitcase
- Factors To Consider When Purchasing a Travel Backpack
- The Top 10 Best Travel Backpacks To Buy
- 10. Under Armour Storm Recruit Backpack
- 9. Nomatic Travel Bag
- 8. Vaschy Unisex Classic Waterproof School Rucksack Travel BackPack
- 7. SwissGear Travel Gear ScanSmart Backpack
- 6. AmazonBasics Backpack
- 5. Under Armour Storm Hustle II Backpack
- 4. JanSport Unisex Big Student Backpacks
- 3. Venture Pal Lightweight Packable Durable Travel Backpack
- 2. High Sierra Loop Backpack
- 1. Outlander Lightweight Travel Hiking Backpack
- Which Backpack Should You Buy?
10. Under Armour Storm Recruit Backpack
The Under Armour Storm Recruit Backpack is perfect for the serious student, the nature-enthusiast, and the businessman alike. Each backpack is equipped with a total of 4 large zip-up pockets, a laptop sleeve that fits any laptop up to 15 inches, 2 deep beverage pockets, and adjustable, padded HeatGear straps for personal comfort.
This particular backpack has an incredible water-resistant, element-blocking finish, and an abrasion-resistant bottom panel making it the perfect backpack for even the roughest, toughest of wearers. Wearers will also enjoy having the opportunity to pick from a large variety of colors and designs allowing them to show off their personality in style.
- This backpack comes in 14 stylish colors to suit every personality and style.
- The backpack is covered with a highly water-resistant and element-blocking finish to keep all of your valuables safe and dry.
- The HeatGear straps on this backpack are padded and adjustable for ultimate comfort and versatility.
- Unfortunately this backpack does not include pencil and pen slots on the inside of any of the pouches.
- This backpack is equipped to hold laptops up to 15 inches so any laptop larger than that will not fit properly within the backpack.
9. Nomatic Travel Bag
The Nomatic backpack was designed for everyday use. It is made up of durable and waterproof materials, making it perfect for dealing with everyday wear and tear. It starts at 20L and expands to 24L. The bag is slim, however, it does expand if you have the need to pack more items. There is a versatile strap system on this bag which allows for you to switch the backpack to a briefcase for those times when you need to look a little bit more professional. Some of the amazing extra features on this bag include magnetic water bottle pockets, hidden pockets, and RFID safe storage. On top of all the great features of this backpack, the Nomatic backpack is also very sleek and features a minimalistic design. This gives you the confidence you need in your every day life and when you are on the move.
- Optimized size for carry-on luggage while being comfortable to wear
- Many nice additional touches such as a waterproof pocket, laundry basket, and shoe compartment
- Features a detachable hip-belt and comes with slanter-zipper pockets for ease of access
- The laptop compartment isn’t ideal for quick access and can make it hard to close the pack
- Duffle and shoulder strap system is a little bit chunky when in practice
- This backpack can be seen as trying too much and this can clutter the experience
8. Vaschy Unisex Classic Waterproof School Rucksack Travel BackPack
Vaschy backpacks are well known for their high quality, skill craftsmanship, and incredible durability. This particular backpack is targeted toward the grade school student and the individual looking to carry just a few items. Don’t let the casual design of this backpack fool you, it is built to last for many years.
This backpack comes in 12 colors, is completely water-resistant, and sits comfortably on the shoulders. The main compartment of the backpack has a double zipper closure complete with high quality zippers. This inside of the main compartment contains multiple pockets for storage as well as a compartment for a laptop.
- This backpack is completely waterproof ensuring that personal items are safe and protected.
- There are plenty of differently sized pockets found on this backpack allowing for ideal storage of all personal items.
- This is the ideal backpack for the serious student with many heavy books and other school supplies.
- The laptop pouch inside of this backpack is only lightly padded so an additional laptop sleeve is recommended.
- This particular backpack is not meant for carrying a high number of heavy materials.
7. SwissGear Travel Gear ScanSmart Backpack
This backpack is built to accommodate the needs of serious travelers, serious students, and anyone looking to fit a large number of items in a single backpack. This is a full utility backpack and can withstand any and all of the demands that even the toughest of users will place on it.
This backpack comes with multiple laptop and electronic device compartments, a water bottle pocket, and highly padded shoulder straps. There are more than 7 pockets to store personal items, and they are all protected with durable zippers. These backpacks were truly created to pass the test of time.
- This backpack can comfortably store a 17 inch laptop with room to spare.
- This backpack is very sturdy with reinforcements built into all pockets, straps, zippers, and seams.
- Not only does this backpack have many pockets, it has a unique side entry zipper allowing the user to access the laptop with ease.
- If stuffed to full capacity, this backpack will not fit under the seat in an airplane.
- Unfortunately this backpack can get very heavy if it is packed to its fullest capacity.
6. AmazonBasics Backpack
This AmazonBasics Backpack comes in a sophisticated black color with orange zipper accents. This backpack is ideal for the avid traveler, the average student, and anyone looking to carry important items and electronics from one point to another. Built for storage, this backpack is sure to please both men and women alike.
The AmazonBasics Backpack comes equipped with 4 large storage pouches and multiple pockets to store smaller items. The laptop sleeve inside of the largest pouch will hold a laptop up to 17 inches in size. There are 2 large water bottle pouches, a padded carrying strap, and adjustable shoulder straps.
- This backpack has an internal padded laptop sleeve equipped to hold a laptop up to 17 inches.
- There are 4 large storage pockets inside of this back that maximize the amount of items that can be stored safely.
- This backpack will fit under airline seats when it is full.
- This backpack is not fully waterproof or water-resistant.
- The bottom of this backpack is not padded or insulated and therefore will not protect the contents if dropped.
5. Under Armour Storm Hustle II Backpack
There are 17 different color choices one could choose when buying the Under Armour Storm Hustle II Backpack. This backpack is meant to last if maintained and will protect contents from all weather conditions if sealed properly. This is the perfect backpack for school-aged children, college students, airline travel, and the casual businessman.
The Under Armour Storm Hustle II Backpack has two large pouches with a laptop sleeve inside of the largest pouch. The bottom of the backpack has a tough abrasion-resistant panel that protects against minor drops and average movement. The top of the backpack has an access point for earphones if the electronic device is zipped up safely inside.
- There are 17 different color choices to chose from with this backpack.
- This backpack is sleek while still being able to hold a lot of materials.
- There is a tough abrasion-resistant bottom panel that protects contents from damage if dropped.
- This backpack will not hold up if overstuffed with too many books or other school materials.
- This backpack is not created and manufactured in the United States of America.
4. JanSport Unisex Big Student Backpacks
The JanSport Unisex Big Student Backpack is a high quality backpack geared toward students of all ages. The design is simple, but will hold multiple heavy books at one time making it exceptionally functional. This backpack is ideal for the student with neck, shoulder, and back pain.
This backpack has Ergonomic S-curve shoulder straps designed to alleviate pain in the shoulders, neck, and back as the load gets heavier and heavier. There are 2 large pouches with multiple pockets on the inside of each making storage optimal for any student. In addition to the above mentioned features, there is one water bottle holder.
- Ergonomic S-curve shoulder straps make this backpack the ideal choice for back and shoulder support.
- Though there are only 2 large pouches, there are many pockets inside of each.
- This backpack is meant to hold many heavy books at one time.
- This backpack is only available for purchase in one color.
- While this backpack is able to hold a laptop, it does not have a designated laptop sleeve.
3. Venture Pal Lightweight Packable Durable Travel Backpack
The Venture Pal Lightweight Packable Durable Travel Backpack Daypack is a brightly colored favorite among travelers. This backpack can be stored in a small space when it’s not needed, or may carry many small travel items with ease when in use. Travelers love that this backpack is completely weather proof, water-resistant, and tear resistant.
This collapsible backpack is reinforced with bar tacks when in use. There are two large pouches, many pockets, and an additional halter strap that connects across the chest. The breathable mesh shoulder straps are reinforced with sponge padding for additional comfort.This daypack is perfect for the serious traveler.
- This backpack is made of high quality weather resistant, tear-resistant, and water-resistant protective material.
- This travel backpack is available in bright colors.
- This backpack can be folded up and stored in a small container while not in use.
- This backpack is not meant to hold, store, or carry a laptop for an extended period of time.
- There is no hard shell, abrasion-resistant panel, or padding inside of this backpack.
2. High Sierra Loop Backpack
The High Sierra Loop Backpack is a crowd favorite for students and adults alike. With 36 different designs and colors, nobody will walk away disappointed with their choice. This is a luxury backpack built for both comfort and durability. Wearers will enjoy toting around their highly fashionable backpack.
There are a total of 10 heavy duty pockets on this backpack. The main pockets are equipped with durable zippers and comfort zipper pulls. The hook and latch system on the bottom of this pack allows the wearer to attach a blanket or coat with ease in addition to the materials inside.
- There are an astounding 36 different designs and colors to choose from when purchasing.
- There are 10 heavy duty pockets between the inside and outside of this backpack.
- There is an option to attach a blanket or coat to the bottom of this backpack.
- This backpack does not have a separate compartment for laptops.
- This backpack is not waterproof.
1. Outlander Lightweight Travel Hiking Backpack
This highly stylish daypack is ideal for the simple traveler. Wearers will enjoy the compact size of this hiking backpack as it lays easily on the shoulders and is not bulky when full. The design of this backpack is simple and items inside are always easy to access.
The Outlander Lightweight Travel Hiking Backpack is lightweight weighing in at just half of a pound. Despite this light weight the backpack is able to hold 33 liters when filled to its full capacity. When not in use, this backpack can be folded up into its own carrying case for ease of storage.
- This backpack is fully weather-resistant and water-resistant.
- This backpack folds up into its own carrying case when not in use.
- While this backpack weighs just half a pound it can carry 33 liters.
- This backpack is not able to hold heavy materials for an extended period of time.
- This backpack does not have a laptop sleeve.
Which Backpack Should You Buy?
The backpacks listed above are 10 of our favorite backpacks and are available to fit anyone’s budget. With the enormous selection of colors, designs, sizes, and features listed here we are confident that the nature-lover, student, and businessman will all find the backpack to fit their unique and individual needs.
Students will find that a backpack with many pockets, a laptop sleeve, and abrasion-resistant panelling are perfect for heavy use on a daily basis. Travelers will find that a backpack that is light and compact is perfect for their needs. The businessman will enjoy nearly every one of these backpacks. Click here to see the one I bought.