If you plan to scuba dive, you should take the time to purchase a great mask. It is a mistake to rent a mask because you may not find one that is perfect for you.
Before purchasing a diving mask, you should consider the following items:
• Mask Frame – Some masks have a frame where all of the other parts are attached. A frame makes it easy to clean and fix your mask.
• Good Fit – You should find a mask that fits your face well. Try a mask without the straps first. If it stays in place, it is probably a good fit.
• Lens Variety – You can choose dive masks that have single, dual, or multiple lenses. The only difference between single and dual lens is a dual allows you to use prescription glasses as you dive. A multiple lens mask provides a wider, more open field of vision.
• Angle on the Lens – When purchasing a diving mask, you should buy one that has a slight angle. This angle will decrease the internal volume of the diving mask and increase the lower field of vision.
Now that you know what to consider, this guide will provide the top ten masks for scuba diving. With this guide, it should be easy to choose the perfect diving mask for you.
Below we’ve reviewed the top 10 best scuba diving masks on the market in 2017.
Table of Contents
- 10. Genius Ear Scuba Diving Mask
- 9. Mares i3 Liquidskin Mask
- 8. Scuba Choice Scuba Diving Mask
- 7. U.S. Jumpers Silicone Mask Combo
- 6. Phantom Aquatics Dive Mask
- 5. Cressi Scuba Diving Mask
- 4. Frameless GoPro Hero 3 Mask
- 3. GoPro Hero 3 Scuba Mask
- 2. GoPro Hero4 and Hero3+ Dive Mask
- 1. Cressi Frameless Scuba Diving Mask
- Which Scuba Diving Mask Should You Buy?
10. Genius Ear Scuba Diving Mask
If your ears are sensitive, the Genius Ear Scuba Diving Mask is picture-perfect for you. It has a dual lens that will protect your eyes and water tight ear cups to protect the ears.
When you dive, pressure equalization can be an issue. The Pro Ear mask helps prevent any problems associated with equalization.
When you keep your hair out of the way, the silicone ear cup forms a water tight bond to prevent water from entering the ear drum.
This bond and a one-way air flow system help to equalize the pressure between the ear canal and nasal cavities. The mask, cups, and respiratory tubes create a close circuit which will equalize air pressure.
The eyes and ears stay completely dry while you are diving. This feature helps provide an excellent field of vision.
• No fogging while diving
• No more ear infections or ear discomfort
• Enhanced field of vision
• Takes time to make sure it seals correctly
• Comes in only one color
9. Mares i3 Liquidskin Mask
This mask is excellent for the diver who wants an exceptional field of vision. It has a broad front lens and two different side windows.
This mask significantly increases the side angle view and utilizes a tri-comfort technology to provide the most comfortable fit available.
You can quickly and securely adjust the strap with the unique two button buckle system even when you are wearing diving gloves.
This mask is available in a variety of colors such as blue, yellow, and black. Finally, the mask is made from fluid silicone which is the best available.
• Variety of colors
• Easy to adjust with thick gloves
• Panoramic view
• May not fit smaller faces
• May leak with excessive facial hair
8. Scuba Choice Scuba Diving Mask
With adjustable straps and a silicone skirt, this diving mask is perfect for those who have a narrow face. The low volume special design is excellent for free diving. The tempered glass lens is strong for high-pressure dives.
If the glass does break, the exclusive design allows the glass to fracture into small, basically harmless pieces.
This amazing mask also blocks water from entering the nose with its comfortable fit over the nose. You can even attach a snorkel to the mask by quickly attaching one to the strap.
• Easy to defog
• Tempered glass
• Great fit and seal
• Does not come with a case
• May not fit a wider face
7. U.S. Jumpers Silicone Mask Combo
This one size fits all mask will fit a variety of face shapes and sizes. With a range of nine colors, you should quickly find a favorite.
US Jumpers uses a hypoallergenic silicone to ensure ultimate comfort. This mask also comes with a submersible snorkel that utilizes ‘Pivot Dry technology.’ This technology keeps your face and eyes dry while you snorkel.
The barrel is contoured and ergonomically shaped to provide for easy positioning that is correct and comfortable. The buckle system associated with this mask makes it easy for you to adjust the mask to your requirements quickly.
The buckle system also includes a master float clasp framework that helps the straps to conform.
• Includes submersible snorkel
• Pivot Dry technology
• Master float clasp framework
• May not be suitable for deep dives
• May have a limited field of vision for some users
6. Phantom Aquatics Dive Mask
With this mask’s unhampered vision, it is perfect for use while snorkeling and scuba diving. It has a three-window plan that allows you to see in almost all directions.
Being a low volume scuba diving mask, it is virtually perfect for any diving condition. The push button technology allows you to quickly and easily adjust the straps for a comfortable fit.
The buckle attachment can be folded, is flexible, and swivels for creating an excellent seal around the nose and eyes.
This mask is also offered in nine colors making it easy to choose one to match your scuba diving outfit.
• Low volume
• Three window field of vision
• Variety of colors
• Does not have a nose purge
• May have fogging
5. Cressi Scuba Diving Mask
Made in Italy, the Cressi is a low volume light mask. Coming in a variety of sizes, this mask will fit the various shapes and sizes of faces.
If you are a photographer, this mask is perfect for taking submerged photos. The mask is light weight with a comfortable fit that will make you forget you are wearing it.
The mask’s design makes it ideal for either snorkeling or scuba diving. It is made from durable hi-tech polymers and liquid silicone. This combination of ingredients helps protect sensitive skin.
• One of the lightest masks available
• Made from liquid silicone and hi-tech polymers
• Fits most faces flawlessly
• Only available in the color black
• Has a single window for vision
4. Frameless GoPro Hero 3 Mask
This mask has an appealing black, white, and silver exterior. It is also one of the most progressive diving masks available.
With this mask, you can videotape the fantastic view under the water while still keeping your hands free to explore.
The design of this mask allows it to stay close to your face to give you astounding visibility. With an easy to use blueprint, you can effortlessly capture an amazing still photo or an intriguing movie of the underwater world you and your friends are exploring.
This mask also has ear pockets that will help to protect you from any type of water entering your ear canal.
• Protects ears
• Easy to use camera
• Astounding visibility
• Offers only one choice in color
• Not ideal for a dive over a 20 feet depth
3. GoPro Hero 3 Scuba Mask
This product is also a GoPro Hero. The previous model was frameless, but this model offers a frame for those who want one. The camera on this mask can also capture the amazing underwater world.
It is light and reliable and will work will all GoPro products. Unlike the previous mask, this mask is suitable for snorkeling or diving.
Also, if you have sensitive skin, you do not have to worry with this mask, because the GoPro Scuba Mask is hypoallergenic.
If you plan on a diving vacation anytime soon, this mask is the perfect one for your adventure.
• Minimal leaks and fogging
• Limited visibility on sides
• Exhaust bubbles may interfere with camera
2. GoPro Hero4 and Hero3+ Dive Mask
With its innovative elements, this mask has enhanced waterproofing and will keep your ears and eyes secure and warm while you are diving.
The lenses of this mask are made from safety glass, are tough, and hard to break. The mask is 100% guaranteed to fit your face flawlessly.
It also comes with an aluminum thumbscrew and travel bag to ensure easy and safe storage. The one-piece outline gives you a streamlined look to the design of this mask which is appealing to the average adult.
This same design allows the mask to resist excess weight and stretching.
• 100% fit guarantee
• Aluminum thumbscrew and travel bag
• Hi-tech camera
• May be hard to control camera underwater
• Must adjust camera to take proper pictures
1. Cressi Frameless Scuba Diving Mask
In my opinion, this is the best mask available. The Italy-based Cressi company has been creating quality diving masks since 1946 and have perfected the diving mask.
This mask has a clear, comprehensive view that is produced by a single lens. The lens is made of tempered glass that is incredibly hard to break and contains anti-fog qualities.
Made from 100% silicone, the mask offers a comfortable fit for most faces and has a seamless seal to ensure dry eyes.
The frameless model is excellent for most divers due to the low profile ability and capacity to fold flat for storage. You can choose from a variety of different colors offered by the company.
The mask is universal and can be used for open water diving, pool diving, recreational reason, snorkeling, and various other water activities.
• Wide field of vision
• Easy to store
• Comfortable fit
• No ear protection
• No side windows
Which Scuba Diving Mask Should You Buy?
After analyzing the above list, you should have enough information to chose the best diving mask for your needs. While all of the masks in the list are exceptional masks, I recommend the Cressi Frameless Scuba Diving Mask.
It has the best features (frame, fit, lens, and angle of the lens) for the price. Visit your local store or go online today to purchase yours.