We all look forward to snow melting, flowers blooming and grass turning its beautiful shade of spring green. With the greening of grass comes yard maintenance.
Many find it relaxing and enjoyable while others might definitely define it as a chore. Some home owners go as far as to hire a yard service to maintain their grass and flower beds.
One thing most home owners can agree on is that whether they enjoy yard work or not; cutting the grass can be quite a chore. Regular push mowers are sometimes difficult to start.
Even if using an electric push mower, you still must pay special attention to its electric cord. Not all yards are perfectly flat at just the right size that push mowing isn’t difficult. Many yards have uneven areas or difficult to mow areas due to landscaping.
Sometimes it can take quite a while in the summer heat to get the yard looking how you would like. This list of ride on lawn mowers are a wonderful choice for home owners to maintain their yards.
Sit back and relax while you perfectly trim your yard. You won’t be exhausted anymore from pushing a mower and you will save time.
Below we’ve reviewed the top 10 best riding lawn mowers available in 2017.
Table of Contents
- 10. Poulan Pro Briggs Riding Mower
- 9. Weed Eater WE-ONE 26-Inch 190cc Briggs
- 8. Husqvarna R120S Articulating Riding Mower
- 7. Husqvarna 18.5 HP Hydro Transmission Riding Lawn Mower
- 6. Husqvarna 24 HP Fast Hydro Yard Tractor
- 5. Yard Machines 420cc 42-Inch Riding Lawn Mower
- 4. Poulan Pro Kohler V-Twin Riding Mower
- 3. Briggs 18.5 HP Pedal Control Auto Drive Cutting Deck Riding Mower
- 2. Poulan Pro Briggs Pedal Control Fast Auto Drive Cutting Deck Riding Mower
- 1. Troy-Bilt 420cc OHV 30-Inch Premium Riding Lawnmower
- Which Riding Lawn Mower Should You Buy?
10. Poulan Pro Briggs Riding Mower
Poulan Pro has been manufacturing made in America yard equipment since 1944. This production history makes them an industry leader. Poulan Pro is designed with a 6 speed transmission with lever drive. It features 20 inch rear tires and 15 inch front tires.
These varying tire sizes accommodate long and short grass. It also features a 16 inch turn radius and a 9 inch low back seat. It is designed with a 42 inch cutting deck and the engine of the Poulan Pro Briggs riding mower does not require a oil filter. No oil filter makes this mower a eco friendly choice.
- Excellent Turning Radius
- Cuts Well
- Sturdy Construction
- Not the best for steep inclines
9. Weed Eater WE-ONE 26-Inch 190cc Briggs
The Briggs & Stratton Weed Eater one is the first compact sized riding lawn mower on the market. It is a gas powered lawn mower that comes equipped with an electric start. It is designed with a 16 inch mower deck, 3 speed transmission, 30-40 inch turning radius and a foam padded seat that folds flat.
The Weed Eater has 10 inch front tires and 13 inch rear tires and 2 quart fuel capacity. Designed with three drive speeds, one is for edging, two is for mowing and 3 is for faster travel speed.
- Can fit through a standard yard gate
- Comes with a 2 year warranty
- Cruise Control Feature
- Only good for small to medium sized yards
- Small wheels can get stuck easily
8. Husqvarna R120S Articulating Riding Mower
The Husqvarna riding lawn mower is good for homeowners who need a compact lawn mower for medium sized yards up to 2.5 acres. This mower is designed with a 42 inch side discharge cutting deck.
In addition to being strictly used for mowing, this mower is made with rear wheel drive that equips it with extra traction control. The rear wheel drive makes the Husqvarna able to handle yard inclines.
It comes with a snow blade, rake, trailer and spreader attachments which provides year round yard maintenance. Excellent turn radius makes mowing around landscape, bushes and trees a breeze.
- 3 year limited warranty & 5 year consumer warranty
- Handles medium sized yards with inclines
- Strong motor
- Not good for yards over 2.5 acres
- Does not reverse up steep hills well.
7. Husqvarna 18.5 HP Hydro Transmission Riding Lawn Mower
The Hydro Transmission Riding Lawn Mower is designed with a 42 inch steel stamped deck. It has two cutting blades and a hydrostatic transmission. Tire sizes are 15 inch in the front and 20 in the rear making it ideal for tall and short grass.
The Hydro transmission mower comes with a manual blade engagement, steel channel, cast iron front axle and a wash out port. Additionally it comes with a mid back padded seat for comfort while riding and a cup holder. A dual bin bagger and mulch kit can be purchased separately.
- Powerful Engine
- LED headlights for working in the dark
- Good Steering
- Turn radius not idea for mowing around landscape items
- No cruise control option, constant food pressure on pedal required
6. Husqvarna 24 HP Fast Hydro Yard Tractor
The Husqvarna yard tractor is designed with a 48 inch cutting width, hydrostatic pedal transmission, electric blade engagement and cruise control. Its compact size makes it easy to store and ride.
It features a cutting height adjustment that is fender mounted and its seat is adjustable. The hydrostatic transmission provides the rider with a smooth ride in both forward and reverse.
- Can be equipped with a tow or mulch kit
- Comes with air induction technology which improves air flow on the deck
- Easy to maneuver
- Does not reverse up hill as smoothly as on flat ground
- Rough terrain can result in deck belt maintenance
5. Yard Machines 420cc 42-Inch Riding Lawn Mower
the Yard Machine riding lawn mower is powered by a strong 420cc Powermore Engine. The Engine comes with a shift on the go drive system. It features a mulching and bagging capability and a 7 speed gear shift.
The Yard Machine is designed with a 42 inch blade.
- Can mow large yards
- Can handle inclines
- Powerful Engine
- Does not cut in reverse
- Not available in California
4. Poulan Pro Kohler V-Twin Riding Mower
The Poulan Pro Kohler V-Twin Riding Mower is designed with a24 HP v-twin Kohler engine. It has a fast auto drive transmission with pedal control and a 54-Inch reenforced cutting deck.
It has a 2.5 gallon fuel tank and 20 inch rear and 15 inch front tires. Additionally, the v-twin riding lawn mower has a 16 inch turn radius and a cast iron front axel.
- 10 year warranty
- Headlights for cutting with out natural light
- Handles steep inclines well
- No locking differential
- Slow reverse speed
3. Briggs 18.5 HP Pedal Control Auto Drive Cutting Deck Riding Mower
The Briggs 18.5 HP Pedal Control Auto Drive Cutting Deck Riding Mower is designed with a 42 inch blade cutting deck and a 18.5 HP Briggs & Stratton engine. It has 2.5 gallon fuel tank for all day cutting.
This riding mower has a 16 inch turn radius as well as 20 inch rear tires and 15 inch front tires. These tires make cutting tall and short grass simple. It is also designed with a high back cushioned seat.
- 10 year belt warranty
- Large wheels make it less likely to get stuck
- Excellent Turning
- cup holder located near grass bagger
- Foot pedals are very large
2. Poulan Pro Briggs Pedal Control Fast Auto Drive Cutting Deck Riding Mower
This mower comes with a 46-Inch re enforced cutting deck with 10 year warranty. It has a 2.5 gallon fuel tank and 20 inch rear tires as well as 15 inch front tires. It is designed with a fast auto drive transmission that is pedal start.
The v-twin briggs engine is built with ready start and it has 4 gauge wheels. Created with comfort in mind the seat is mid back at 13 inches and it comes with headlights for mowing with out natural light. It can mow large yards and steep inclines with minimal effort.
- 16 inch turn radius makes it easy to maneuver
- 10 year belt warranty
- 10 year deck warranty
- Oil Filter necessary
1. Troy-Bilt 420cc OHV 30-Inch Premium Riding Lawnmower
The Troy-Bilt Premium Riding lawn mower is ideal for typical neighborhood yards. It handles best of smooth terrain. It is designed with manual power take off for fast and simple blade engagement. This compact mower is designed with a 30 inch cutting deck and comes with 5 adjustable settings.
It has a 18 inch turn radius and 13×5 inch front wheels and 16×6.5 inch rear wheels. It is ideal for maneuvering around landscape design. It can easily be stored in a garage or shed and is designed with a 1.3 gallon fuel tank that has a fuel visibility window.
With comfort in mind, the seat has a 13 inch mid back length and the steering wheel is a 13 inch soft grip wheel.
- Compact for easy storage
- Great for residential small-medium sized yards
- 2 year warranty
- Not able to handle inclines or rough terrain
- Not eco friendly, requires oil filter
Which Riding Lawn Mower Should You Buy?
There are many riding lawn mowers for home owners to consider when making the change from the standard push mower or from ending service with a lawn care company.
If you live in a typical suburban setting with a standard sized yard then the Troy-Bilt 420cc OHV 30-Inch Premium Riding Lawnmower is the best lawn mower considering how easily it is stored and its overall performance.
For those with higher demand properties and the necessity for a 10 year warranty then the Briggs Cutting Deck Riding Mower is the best choice. The Husqvarna R120S Articulating Riding Mower is the overall best for those with some acerage that also require year round use.
The add on features make it worth its money since it will be used 12 months a year rather then just during the spring, summer and fall months.
This extensive and informative list of riding lawn mowers that meet all types of landscape needs should help you make the best decision for your property needs.
Now is the time to retire the push lawn mower and take back your weekends. Yard work will be less time consuming and much more enjoyable with a riding lawn mower.