With the hot summer, feeling humid and warm we all search for the coolest place possible within our home because the outside can be overpowering with heat. If you don’t use every room in your house, why should you pay for it to be cooled down?
By placing an AC unit in a room that you frequently use is more cost effective than cooling a room you hardly or ever use. When choosing a portable AC unit you want to be sure it fits the size of your window plus it should be able to cool the size of the room you are placing it in.
However, if your window is too small for a window style AC, then purchase a floor model that can easily cool the room. If you already have central air, but it just doesn’t seem to cool your bedroom, then buy a portable AC unit for an easy fix.
Portable AC’s are just that portable to go in any room throughout your home; if need be, you can always change the room that the AC unit is currently in. There are a variety of models to decide from below you will find a detailed guide that can assist you in your search and buying process.
Table of Contents
- 10. SPT 8,000-BTU Single Hose Portable AC
- 9. Frigidaire FRA052XT7 5,000-BTU Mini Window Air Conditioner
- 8. Shinco 10,000-BTU Portable Air Conditioner
- 7. Global Air NPA1-10C 10000-BTU Portable Air Conditioner
- 6. Whynter 12,000-BTU Portable Air Conditioner
- 5. Avallon 12,000-BTU Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner
- 4. LG 12,000-BTU 115V Portable Air Conditioner
- 3. LG 10,000-BTU 115V Portable Air Conditioner
- 2. Honeywell MN12CES 12,000-BTU Portable Air Conditioner
- 1. Whynter 14,000-BTU Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner
- Which Portable Air Conditioner Should You Buy?
10. SPT 8,000-BTU Single Hose Portable AC
Offers a cooling system that removes moisture from the air giving you added comfort to your home. It has an extended hose up to 59 inches long giving the unit more room for air flow into the room. However, it only will be able to cool the room that it is currently in, but you will be able to move the AC unit to another room when needed.
This portable AC unit only is manufactured and offered in gray and white. It has a built-in water tank or water tube for ongoing drainage for your added convenience. Other features consist of an Auto-Restart feature, fire resistant PVA plastic housing, and a self-evaporating system.
- No installation required
- Can be moved fairly easy
- Easily hidden within a room
- Portable units generate noise
- Larger rooms are unable to be cooled
9. Frigidaire FRA052XT7 5,000-BTU Mini Window Air Conditioner
Is a unit that cools a room of up to 150 square feet. This unit is great for a small room, but not adequate for larger rooms. It offers window panels that fit windows between 23-36 inches high, but if the window is less than 23 inches the panels are unable to be used.
For added convenience, it offers an Anti-Bacterial Mesh Filter with a slide-out filter access. A few other features that this AC unit offers are: 2-way air direction control, rotary controls, and is only offered in the color white. This window unit will keep you comfortable enough to kick back and relax from the hot rays of the summer heat.
- Can be used in windows or wall holes
- Somewhat has low noise
- Adequate for smaller rooms
- Not sufficient enough for larger rooms
- Not all windows can hold air conditioners
8. Shinco 10,000-BTU Portable Air Conditioner
Is an AC unit with a great cooling and fan system that keeps any room in the house comfy and free of humidity. It provides digital controls for accurate temperature adjustments and a self-evaporating system with no water tank.
The condensing water in the unit is recycled to increase the effectiveness of the unit through the cooling condenser. The three-minute restart delay function is one of the safety features this AC has; it protects the unit as well as your home.
If the AC unit would ever happen to freeze while it is running, the delay function will automatically take care of it. This unit can be placed almost anywhere imaginable that needs cooling from the hot rays of the sun.
- Are inexpensive
- The cool air helps ward off asthma
- Can filter out pollen that may be in the air
- Not as economical as a window unit
- Some warm air from the unit could enter the room along with the cool air
7. Global Air NPA1-10C 10000-BTU Portable Air Conditioner
Has two different speeds for cooling; the fan contributes adequate air flow evenly throughout the room. With its de-humidification and cooling power, the room becomes relaxing and comfortable for anyone to escape the summer’s heat.
The material used to manufacture this AC unit is 70% Plastic, 20% Copper, and 10% Foam and it is imported. It requires plenty of air ventilation to the outside and is unsafe to use of extension cords with this unit.
Furthermore, this unbelievable unit has digital controls that can be customized and adjusted with its remote control from the comfort of your recliner or favorite chair, plus it offers an on and off timer for added convenience.
- Can protect against heat-related illness
- Helps to keep allergies down
- Lowers the humidity indoors
- You need to empty the drain tanks often.
- Breeding ground for the growth of bacteria and fungus
6. Whynter 12,000-BTU Portable Air Conditioner
Is an AC window model that fits a 20 to 46-inch window frame. There are three operational modes: air conditioner, fan, or dehumidifier. The capacity of the dehumidifying is 91 pints per day with three different fan speeds for better circulation throughout the room.
Included are a 60-inch extendable exhaust hose, a full thermostatic control of 61 degrees Fahrenheit up to 91 degrees Fahrenheit, carbon air filter, and washable pre-filter. Having a portable AC unit, you can choose the room you want to install it in such as the bedroom, or your favorite room in the house.
- Helps with airborne diseases
- Gives better circulation in a home
- Decreases the growth of dust mites
- You could easily trip over the hose
- It may be difficult for challenging people to put the venting kit together
5. Avallon 12,000-BTU Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner
Offers a cooling area of up to 425 square feet with a temperature range of 61 to 89 degrees Fahrenheit. It has a self-evaporating technology and a dual hose design with no draining required. It has a de-humidification capacity of 80 pints a day with a clever auto mode and a 24-hour timer.
It includes a window vent kit, electronic control panel with a digital display, and casters; an added convenience is the three fan speeds that provide you with good air circulation throughout the room.
It is very convenient to relax in your lazy chair and adjust temperature controls with the remote control that comes with this AC unit.
- Decreases the growth of mold
- Filters out Allergens from the air
- Can help to reduce heat stroke
- Moisture can accumulate in the fan blades
- If left unchecked mold could build up
4. LG 12,000-BTU 115V Portable Air Conditioner
Cools a room up to 400 square feet with a LED display panel. It offers three cooling and fan speeds for added air circulation, plus an energy saver mode for energy efficiency. It is ideal for any style home old or new because it only requires 115 volts of electricity.
The dehumidification feature pumps up to 1.2 pints per hour to reduce the level of humidity in the air, to give added comfort, and reduce the smell of mildew while cooling off the room. The LCD remote control is an added feature that makes it easy to change the setting from where ever you are in the room.
- Reduce the risk of bacterial diseases
- Can protect against heat-related death
- Is popular which make it easy to find
- If left unchecked fungus can build up
- It can leave your home at a security risk
3. LG 10,000-BTU 115V Portable Air Conditioner
Is an AC unit that can cool a room up to 300 square feet with its unique cooling system. It can be moved easily from room to room as needed to cool parts of your home. A quality that stands out on this AC unit is its ability to bring 2.45 pints per hour out of the air with the dehumidification feature despite the fact that it is also cooling the room.
It only offers two cooling and fan speeds, but still, can give sufficient air flow throughout the room. It has a LED display panel that is fairly easy to see as well as an LCD remote control that you can without a doubt change the controls anywhere within the room.
- Very cost effective
- No ductwork and easy setup
- Is a great option for renters
- May not cool as effectively as a window unit
- May have extensive water output
2. Honeywell MN12CES 12,000-BTU Portable Air Conditioner
Has a cooling system that keeps a room size of 450 square feet comfortable and cool. It offers three different speeds of air flow with an on and off timer that has settings for ever hour of the day. This AC unit offers a powerful air flow with no-bucket design and is very quiet to run in any room.
There are accurate and defined touch controls that are fully functional with its distinctive remote control. Additionally, with its Portable, Lightweight Design, it can be moved without difficulty to any room in the house. Its dehumidification feature removes moisture of up to 79.2 pints per day while the room is cooling.
- Beneficial for small windows like the attack.
- Great for shops
- Can be used in a camper
- Can be in the way while moving about the room
- Pet hair can get into the system
1. Whynter 14,000-BTU Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner
Has a maximum power consumption of 1250 W/10.8 and a power supply of 115 V/60Hz. It is manufactured to fit a window length between 20 to 46 inches and provides an extendable exhaust and intake hose of up to 60 inches. It offers three operational modes: air conditioner, fan, or dehumidifier.
Decreasing the humidity in the air is exceptionally easy for this AC unit with the dehumidifying capacity being 101 pints per day. There are three different fan speeds that give a substantial amount of air flow throughout the room.
A few other features are a full thermostatic control that regulates between 61 and 89 degrees with digital readout, 24-hour programmable timer, and remote control.
- The ability to cool small areas without using energy
- More flexible to be moved
- The installation is fairly easy
- Can damage the carpet and flooring from water leaks
- Can place imprint in the carpet causing wear and tear
Which Portable Air Conditioner Should You Buy?
There are plenty of portable AC’s to choose from, but for myself, I would choose the Whynter 14,000-BTU Dual Hose Portable AC. There are many reasons why I would choose this AC, for one it is capable of cooling a larger area without overworking the unit, and the exceptional dehumidifying capacity.
I would recommend that you go online and look at Amazon.com to check out these fabulous portable air conditioners and unbeatable prices. It is quick and easy and with any luck, you will have your AC unit delivered to your home in no time at all.