In a world that is becoming increasingly fluid and travel-oriented, you want to remain as mobile as possible. Fortunately, advancing technology has helped facilitate the process by making certain items and accessories smaller and more efficient.
A prime example would be the projector. Usage of a projector remains high as it can aid in business presentations or provide entertainment value for those who like the movie experience.
In the past, bringing a projector along for a business trip or for a vacation would have been too cumbersome. However, that isn’t the case today.
Now, there are many versions of mini portable projectors which are easy to carry on your person or in a luggage carry-on that still provides strong enough visuals people look for at a business meeting or for their viewing pleasure. In fact, some projectors can fit into a pocket.
These small projectors are compact, easy to set up, and still can provide up to 2 GB of storage space. They may have limited features and their resolution or brightness might not be as strong as overall high-end large projectors, but they are effective enough.
And they are portable. Sometimes, they even come with their own portable projector screen for the complete set-up.
The following is a list of reviews on top 10 best mini portable projectors in 2017 currently on the market. Each have their good points and some weaknesses, but they all can brought along on trips or moved around with minimal hassle.
Table of Contents
- 10. Magnasonic LED Pocket Pico Video Projector
- 9. Taotaole Multimedia Mini Portable Projector
- 8. H1 LED LCD (WVGA) Mini Video Projector
- 7. Ivation Portable Rechargeable Mini Projector
- 6. Lumex Technologies LED Projector
- 5. iDeaUSA Pico Projector
- 4. AAXA P2 Jr Pico Projector
- 3. RIF6 Cube Pico Projector
- 2. ASUS S1 Pocket Projector
- 1. Sony Pico Mobile Projector
- Which Mini Portable Projector Should You Buy?
10. Magnasonic LED Pocket Pico Video Projector
This portable DLP projector is roughly 4×3 inches and half an inch tall. Yet, it provides plenty of brightness and up 640 x 360 resolution with an 1,100:1 contrast ratio.
Included with the projector are Samsung Galaxy adapters as well as HDMI and MHL cables. This pocket projector also as a built-in speaker.
- Provides good visuals up to a 60-inch screen
- Very small, easily portable
- Light has about 20,000 lamp life
- Built-in speakers aren’t the best quality
- Incompatible with devices besides Samsung
9. Taotaole Multimedia Mini Portable Projector
While this Taotaole product doesn’t fit into your pocket, it is plenty light and small enough as it weighs an estimated three pounds. The image size generated from this device can go from 30 inches to 120 with the distance from the screen being as far away as 12 feet. The recommended projection size is between 50-80 inches. This can work both indoors and outdoors.
- Projects clear images
- Built-in fan to keep it cool for extended time period
- Possesses multiple interfaces ranging from a USB stick to a PlayStation/X-Box or a laptop computer
- Extra speakers may be needed
- Remote can have issues
8. H1 LED LCD (WVGA) Mini Video Projector
This white-colored mini projector is small enough to hold in your hand. It is less than six inches in length and smaller than an inch in height. It has a screen viewing range of 20 inches to 120 and provides a number of connections including an audio output for speakers and for a USB stick. The product comes with a free 60-day tech support deal.
- Clear center with the picture frame
- Large screen (12 feet when placed 20 feet away)
- Has a long lamp life (50,000 Lumens)
- May not have a U.S. warranty
- Tends to close picture clarity along the edges
7. Ivation Portable Rechargeable Mini Projector
This projector device from Ivation is both compact and lightweight and can fit into your palm. It connects to Apple devices with an optional adapter and measures out just under four inches by four inches with 0.88 inches of height. It also has a built-in rechargeable battery.
- Compact and convenient
- Projects well provided there are no other light sources
- Features movie/document setting for differences in images and text
- Doesn’t work well beyond six feet of distance
- Some models lack durability
6. Lumex Technologies LED Projector
This small LED projector backs plenty of imagery within in its small, light frame of 6.4 ounces. This black device has measurements of 3 inches x 2.6 x 0.8, yet it can support up to 1,920 x 1,080 resolution.
It also can produce up 60 frames per second and features an optical LED engine that can produce color and brightness. Its multimedia options include HDMI, AV, USB, and Micro SD, making it quite adaptable.
- Can produce larger and faster images compared to similar models
- Delivers strong color
- Features LED technology
- Doesn’t work well with other light sources
- Knocks can affect it due to small size
5. iDeaUSA Pico Projector
This small white-colored device is a true pocket projector as it can fit into the palm of a hand and weighs less than half a pound. All it requires is a Wi-Fi connection and this device can turn any surface into a cinematic screen.
Despite its small frame, it is capable of showing images both indoors and outdoors. It has USB and Micro SD availability though it is wireless projector. It also has a strong operating light life of 25,000 hours and the battery life is roughly four hours at a time.
- Very small and portable
- Pictures are clear
- Adjusts to HD on its own
- May not be loud enough
- No physical way to connect to device if Wi-Fi is lacking
4. AAXA P2 Jr Pico Projector
This handheld portable projector device isn’t much larger than a smartphone, but it has a solid and sleek look. It weights 0.3 pounds and can fit into your pocket. It has about 15,000 Lumens of lamp life, but also can be a media player as well as a projector.
It can provide up a 50-inch screen and has an instant set-up for USB purposes. It also has built-in speakers though it may need more external ones for those like louder sounds. Usually, it is its best around 2-3 feet away from the screen.
- Shows good brightness and imagery
- Compatible with both Apple and Mac products
- Sound is sufficient when paired with a laptop
- Doesn’t show a large screen
- Only has a 90-minute battery life
3. RIF6 Cube Pico Projector
When this projector gets described as a cube, the description is spot on. The RIF6 looks like a grey cub in the palm of one’s hand though it does have a projector and a speaker on the front surface. Though it is only two inches long, the RIF6 stands out for its compatibility.
What is also good are the accessories which get thrown in such as a remote control, a flexible mini tripod, USB charger, HDMI and MHL connector cables, and a one-year warranty.
- Is compatible with phones, laptops, tablets, and gaming consoles
- Display stretches out to 120 inches
- Provides good brightness for its size
- Image quality isn’t great as resolution is between standard and HD
- While rechargeable, battery life is usually only 90 minutes
2. ASUS S1 Pocket Projector
What is unlike about this ASUS device is that it can double as a power bank to recharge your devices. The USB port is actually for only charging. It uses a rechargeable battery which can provide up to three hours of life at a time. Despite its sleek grey exterior, the ASUS S1 is lightweight and can fit into your palm.
It can provide up to 200 Lumens brightness and boast a 30,000 hours of lamp life. The resolution is the native 854 x 480, but it can deliver a screen of up to 100 inches. There is also an enhanced speaker for authentic sound.
- Doubles as a power bank for other devices
- Creates a big screen from as little as 2-3 feet away
- Metal body makes it sturdy and durable
- USB port only for charging purposes
- Must purchase Apple and Samsung device for conversion
1. Sony Pico Mobile Projector
This Sony product can project to a 40-inch screen from less than four feet away. It is a slightly different build than the other devices as it is flatter and it can prop itself up as well. It has strong display resolution and can connect to Wi-Fi, HDMI, or MHL.
The resolution reached on this device can be as much as 1,920 x 720. An HDMI cable can make it compatible with Apple devices or you can connect a gaming console or laptop to it.
- Shows off color very well for a pocket projector
- Is focus free which allows for good images even on curved surfaces
- Can charge and watch movies at the same time
- Requires a Lightning Digital AV adapter that is sold separately
- Internal durability is a potential issue
Which Mini Portable Projector Should You Buy?
In conclusion, all 10 of these mini portable projectors have their strengths and weaknesses. It will depend on your personal preference, but you should research and take a good look at any of the 10 products that were reviewed.
For my personal preference, I would go with the Lumex Technologies LED Projector. I don’t really need the projector to be too small. That I can take it as a carry-on or even in a backpack is fine enough for me. The more important aspects is how quickly it can work and how bright and colorful are the images. The Lumex is larger than many of these devices, but provides strong color and light in a relatively dark atmosphere.
However, others may like to travel extensively and don’t want to risk too much damage to it. Having it within the palm of one’s hand or in a pocket would be preferable for them.
Others may value connectivity versatility. It depends on your preference, but take a look at all 10 and do some more research before picking one. Likely, the one you want is within this group.