Hoverboards were once just a crazy idea consumers saw on “Back To The Future.” Hoverboards, also known as Self Balancing Scooters came to life with vigor and excitement from people that wanted the perfect way to roll anywhere you want.
The smart balance mechanism in them allows the rider to easily balance and maneuver.
Self Balancing Scooters were not accessible to many at the beginning of their existence due to their price tag. The good news is that now most boards are affordable.
There’s so many hoverboards on the market so it can be tough to choose the best one for you. Because there are so many hoverboards on the market, some producers make them cheap without a focus on safety. safe hoverboard should be able to hold your weight and maintain stability.
To ensure you are getting the best board for your money, make sure the wheels are smooth and durable. Safety is an important factor so make sure the hoverboard has a self balancing mechanism. Also, make sure the batteries are powerful and not cheap.
Here’s a list of the top 10 best hoverboards &self balancing in 2017 ready to roll. All on this list are UL2722 certified for safety.
Table of Contents
- 10. Jetson V8 Self Balancing Scooter
- 9. Razor Hovertrax 2.0 Hoverboard Self-Balancing Smart Scooter
- 8. SWAGTRON T5 UL 2272 Certified Hoverboard
- 7. Street Saw – DailySaw 6.5 Inch Hoverboard
- 6. Hoverzon S Self Balancing Hoverboard
- 5. EPIKGO Hoverboard
- 4. Segway miniPRO Smart Self Balancing Personal Transporter
- 3. Powerboard by HOVERBOARD
- 2. Swagtron – T3 Self-Balancing Scooter
- 1. SWAGTRON T1 – UL 2272 Certified Electric Self-Balancing Scooter
- Which Hoverboard Should You Buy?
10. Jetson V8 Self Balancing Scooter
Get on the Jetson Rover V8 for a crazy ride through all types of terrain. The hoverboard has three different motor speeds so you can choose the best for you. The 8.5 inch wheels are perfect to ride indoors or outdoors, and through mud or sand. The style is rugged, yet classic for the perfect ride.
- 8.5 inch wheels.
- Built in Bluetooth speakers.
- 3 speed modes.
- Two 400 watt motors with independent gyros.
- Not as lightweight as some models on the market.
- Some consumers fear the different speed modes for fear of choosing the wrong one.
9. Razor Hovertrax 2.0 Hoverboard Self-Balancing Smart Scooter
This hoverboard is all about being smart. The company claims it is the smartest board on the market. Razor’s EverBalance technology levels the board so the rider can easily stand on it without shifting.
You could literally stand on the level hoverboard while working at your computer for a few days if you felt like it. It’s a great balancing machine for beginners who fear falling off right as they step on the footpads.
- LED lights.
- 350 dual watt motors.
- Fender bumpers.
- LG battery is easy to change.
- Only reaches a speed of 8 mph.
- Some consumers say the charging ports do not work properly.
8. SWAGTRON T5 UL 2272 Certified Hoverboard
The SWAGTRON T5 is one of the most classic hoverboards on the market. It hits a top speed of 7 mph so it’s perfect for beginners learning to balance without a need for speed.
Another great thing is it is available in all sorts of colors so you don’t have to stick with the basic black if you have a wild hair for a bright color. Since this hoverboard does not come with lights, it is best to ride during the day for visibility.
- Patented SWAGTRON SentryShield™ smart battery management system
- Gear stabilization for downhill traction
- 200 watt engine
- Some consumers claim the battery charge does not last long.
- Does not come with Bluetooth or LED lights.
7. Street Saw – DailySaw 6.5 Inch Hoverboard
The fastest hoverboard on the list is right here in Street Saw’s Daily Saw. Hitting speeds up to 11 mph, this board is perfect for riders who love to ride fast. It looks pretty standard, but has lots of fun twists. You can order it in all sorts of crazy designs. Of course, there’s always the classic black as well.
- Can reach 11 mph.
- The 6.5-inch tires are lightweight and great for all types of terrain.
- Two front facing LED lights.
- The board can last up to six hours with the included Samsung or LG battery.
- This might not be the best board for beginners since it can reach high speeds.
- Bluetooth models are not always in stock.
6. Hoverzon S Self Balancing Hoverboard
This self balancing board is the perfect for beginners as well as experts. It has a great self balancing setting to help with balance. One of the most fun things about this model is it is available in bright, fun colors so everyone gets what they love! This is a good classic board to learn to ride.
- Two-speed motor provides utmost safety.
- Battery pack is large enough for a four hour ride.
- Front facing LED lights.
- Only reaches 8 mph.
- Some customers claim the charging ports break easily.
5. EPIKGO Hoverboard
The EPIKGO hoverboard is made for all terrain, rugged, hardcore fun. This new model is raised more from the ground due to its large 8 inch wheels meaning it covers more ground and cuts through mud and grass with fury.
EPIKGO claims these hoverboards are indestructible so you can take them basically anywhere without restrictions. The thicker wheels combined with the durable body help this hoverboard be the best for even those challenge with balance!
- 400W Dual Motors for climbing steep hills.
- Rated IP56 for water resistance.
- Reaches 10 mph.
- Available in seven colors.
- Bigger design is harder to store in compact vehicles.
- Will only travel about one hour at top speed before recharge.
4. Segway miniPRO Smart Self Balancing Personal Transporter
A segway and a hoverboard rolled into one makes this miniPro model the best of the best. It’s safe and smooth for the best ride possible, even if you aren’t the best at balance.
This is the perfect choice if you need a little extra stability combined with the smooth, efficient ride. The mobile app allows you to operate the hoverboard, modify safety features and adjust settings. You can even lock the entire system and enable an alarm.
- Connects with Bluetooth for safety features as well as the remote control usage.
- Reaches a speed of 11 mph.
- Made of durable, lightweight metal.
- Bigger and harder to store than smaller hoverboard designs.
- Does not contain replacement parts so it is hard to restore if damaged.
3. Powerboard by HOVERBOARD
The PowerBoard is the most affordable on this list of Self Balancing Scooters. Don’t let the lower price fool you because it’s got just as many bells and whistles as many other models. It also packs a punch as one of the fastest hoverboards on the list!
- The company is based in the USA so most orders are shipped quickly.
- Reaches up to 10 mph.
- Smooth and simple ride even around corners at the maximum speed.
- No fancy features, all classic.
- Does not have Bluetooth speakers.
2. Swagtron – T3 Self-Balancing Scooter
The Swagtron T3 turns up the voltage on the classic look and feel of a hoverboard. There’s two riding modes so you get to choose the best speed for your riding level. Overall this board has an amped up look with cosmetic changes while offering the same smooth ride.
- Built-in Bluetooth speaker for listening to music while you ride.
- Redesigned wheels with metal guards.
- Extended plastic cover on top protects wheels from collisions.
- Much more expensive than other Swagtron models.
- New design, but still reaches max speed of 8 mph.
1. SWAGTRON T1 – UL 2272 Certified Electric Self-Balancing Scooter
The Swagtron T1 is one of the high-end models of hoverboards. It’s classically designed and sticks close to the original hoverboard with a few small changes. It’s great for beginners just learning to balance and ride.
- Patented SentryShield battery technology so there is no fear of a battery blowing up.
- Rechargeable lithium ion battery can last up to three hours.
- Speed ranges up to 8 mph.
- Rubber bumpers, LED lights and a lightweight body round out the look and feel.
- Doesn’t have Bluetooth speakers.
- Design is classic without the crazy looks of other models that some riders prefer.
Which Hoverboard Should You Buy?
Hoverboards have come along way from “Back To The Future” and even the first designs on the market. They are great vehicles to get anywhere fast in a safe way. If you choose any of these hoverboards listed, please write a review and share it with us.
We hope you find the best hoverboard that fits you and/or your loved ones. These balancing boards are fun, fast and furious. You can ride many over all types of terrain, use them for a quick trip to the grocery store or just zing around your house on them.
The future is full of two-wheeled balancing boards whizzing around with riders laughing and enjoying themselves. See the one that we bought.