It always feels good to catch a movie at the movie theater, or to hit the club and enjoy the booming sounds. Why? The sound quality blows you away!
With home speakers, you can transform your living room into a theater or club, and invite all your friends to check out a movie, a new album or even dancing.
If you are a movie buff, a clubber, or just want to enjoy clear sound quality, a home theater speaker system at home is a must for you.
Here is a list of the top 10 best home theater speakers available on the market in 2017.
Table of Contents
- 10. Yamaha 5.1-Channel Home Theater Speaker System
- 9. Bose Acoustimass 6 Home Entertainment Speaker System
- 8. Harman Kardon HKTS 16BQ 5.1 Channel Home Theater Speaker
- 7. Onkyo Home Theater Speaker System
- 6. Sony SS-B1000 5-1/4-Inch Bookshelf Speakers
- 5. Onkyo Watt 5.1-Channel Home Theater Speaker
- 4. VIZIO 38-Inch 5.1 Channel Sound Bar
- 3. Energy 5.1 Take Classic Home Theater System
- 2. Onkyo 7.1 Channel Home Theater Speaker System
- 1. VIZIO S4251w-B4 42-Inch 5.1 Channel Sound Bar
- Which Home Theater Speakers Should You Buy?
10. Yamaha 5.1-Channel Home Theater Speaker System
The Yamaha NS-SP1800BL offers superior audio quality with a 100-watt subwoofer that provides ultimate surround sound to maximize your home entertainment experience.
Yamaha’s Advanced YMT technology is a new system in which the amplifier and speaker work in tandem to cancel out extraneous noises and provide the highest sound pressure levels and best overall performance.
Four two-way satellite speakers, a single two-way center-channel speaker plus an 8” subwoofer and easy setup make this system one of the simplest, most affordable ways to add surround sound to your home theater system. This speaker system can be wall-mounted for ideal speaker placement.
- Affordable, selling for $149.95 on Amazon with free shipping
- Compact with a very small setup
- Excellent quality for the price
- Doesn’t provide the same sound quality of some higher-priced systems
- The wires that come with the system could benefit from an upgrade
9. Bose Acoustimass 6 Home Entertainment Speaker System
The Bose Acoustimass 6 is truly a deluxe surround sound system, putting high-performance sound for music, movies, television, live performances, video games and more.
The system’s five “virtually invisible” cube speakers deliver lifelike, nuanced sound and new details in even your best-loved soundtracks, and because these speakers are just three inches square in size, they can be hidden anywhere in the room (such as behind furniture or curtains) or used to complement the room’s décor.
The rich tones and broad spectrum of high-fidelity sound make this a sure-fire winner for anyone looking for the platinum package in home surround sound. Also, color-coded cables and mistake-proof connectors make installation extremely simple.
- Arguably the best quality in its class
- Blends in well with the décor, making it ideal for smaller rooms
- Speakers are small in size, just three inches square
- It’s expensive, currently selling for over $500 used
- Wireless package is sold separately
8. Harman Kardon HKTS 16BQ 5.1 Channel Home Theater Speaker
The Harman Kardon HKTS home theater surround sound system is one of the most powerful on the market today, and they won’t cost you an arm and a leg.
The system includes five 120-watt voice-matched, two-way satellite speakers and a massive 200-watt subwoofer that creates an immersive and strikingly powerful 360-degree surround sound environment. If you want to adjust the bass, there are bass-boost controls and phase switches for the subwoofer.
Considering the amount of power, performance and quality in this system—and from a company with a reputation like like Harman Kardon—you’d probably expect to pay a small fortune for this system, but it’s currently selling at $229 with free shipping.
- Extremely powerful unit with 120-watt speakers and a 200-watt subwoofer
- Relatively affordable for the quality, selling for $229 plus free shipping
- Easy to install
- The speakers are quite large and obtrusive
- 7.1 channel surround sound does not come standard
7. Onkyo Home Theater Speaker System
The Onkyo SKS-HT870 home theater surround sound system has perhaps the most striking blend of quality and power of any home theater system available right now, with 130-watt full-range surround speakers and a bass reflex powered 290-watt subwoofer.
The subwoofer also contains a 10” cone driver. It comes standard with 7.1-channel surround sound, injecting power and superb quality into all your music, television, films and video games.
The system is quite large, with two speakers floor-mounted on “tallboy” stands, so it won’t be the least intrusive surround sound system available, and it’s expensive at $469—but hey, that power and quality has to come from somewhere, doesn’t it?
- Extremely powerful system, one of the best on the market
- Massive subwoofer provides eye-opening bass
- 7.1 channel surround sound is standard
- Large system that will be difficult to disguise
- Not as affordable ($469) as lesser-quality systems
6. Sony SS-B1000 5-1/4-Inch Bookshelf Speakers
The Sony SS-B1000 bookshelf speakers are a simple, high-quality set of speakers which produce 120 watts each and an advanced woofer design. With just two speakers, they won’t be a good fit for surround sound but they aren’t designed to be—they are made to be enjoyed in any room of the house, even on the computer.
They deliver high-resolution audio so you can enjoy the sound of music exactly the way it was meant to be heard, in top-quality, 120-watt glory. Ideal for a bedroom television, computer or, on sale for just $99, may even work well as a beginner’s home-theater stereo system.
- Affordable, just $99 for the pair
- Only two speakers will take up very little space
- Can be moved to different areas of the home and used on different devices—computer, television, iPod
- Only two speakers
- Won’t provide surround sound quality
5. Onkyo Watt 5.1-Channel Home Theater Speaker
The Onkyo HT-S3500 is a beast of a home theater speaker and receiver surround sound system, with four HDMI outputs, 1 output for 3D and Audio Return Channel.
This is more than a surround sound system, this is an entire home entertainment sound system, complete with 6 speakers, a front-panel USB port plus HDMI ports for seamless integration of Blu-ray players, cable/satellite tuners, gaming consoles and more.
It comes standard with Onkyo’s Wide Range Amplifier Technology, which provides audio quality that you’d expect from a much more expensive system.
- Decodes Dolby, TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio and more
- Is a full home entertainment sound system, complete with receiver
- Affordable at $375 for a full stereo system
- Not the highest quality available
- All-in-one-package doesn’t allow you to use your own receiver
4. VIZIO 38-Inch 5.1 Channel Sound Bar
The Vizio S3851w-D4 sound bar is a different kind of surround sound system, one which relies heavily on one speaker to create the illusion of surround sound rather than physically placing speakers strategically throughout the room.
The sound bar is 38” long and comes with two satellite speakers and a subwoofer, providing up to 100db of crystal-clear sound quality at less than 1 percent harmonic distortion.
It comes with plenty of options, Dolby Digital, DTS Digital Surround, DTS Circle Surround, DTS TruVolume, DTS Studio Surround, and seamless streaming. Connectors are wireless, too, making it a bit simpler to place that massive sound bar somewhere in your home.
- Great sound quality with just four speakers total
- The sound bar provides extraordinary quality on its own, rivaling much more expensive systems
- Setup is easy and wireless connectors are standard
- The sound bar is 38”, making it difficult to blend into a room
- At $248, it’s bit expensive for a 4-speaker set
3. Energy 5.1 Take Classic Home Theater System
The Energy 5.1 home theater surround sound system is based on power and quality, with a “no compromise” attitude that provides four 100-watt satellite speakers, a center channel speaker and a subwoofer.
The 200-watt subwoofer has a front-firing port, an 8” driver and patented Ribbed Elliptical Surround for improved bass definition. The system features hyperbolic aluminum dome tweeters for wailing highs, Convergent Source Modules for crisp music and dialogue and, of course, a wall-mount kit.
The entire collection of speakers is painted glossy black to help it blend into your living space.
- A powerful system, though not the most powerful available
- 6-speaker set provides a range of top-quality sounds
- Affordable setup, just $309 with free shipping
- The system is quite large, making it difficult to blend into a smaller area
- Only has 5.1 channel support standard
2. Onkyo 7.1 Channel Home Theater Speaker System
The Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1 channel home theater surround system has taken a swing at being one of the best entertainment systems on the market with this 8-speaker behemoth.
The satellite speakers have a 130-watt output, front and center speakers have 5” diaphragm woofers with a 1” balanced tweeter, the subwoofer is bass-reflex powered with a 230-watt output and 10” earth-shaking cone driver construction.
This massive system is certain to rock any room in your home, but due to the power level there is no option for wireless installation. At $399 with free shipping, this massively powerful 8-speaker, 7.1 channel system may be the best product on the market dollar-for-dollar.
- A massive 8-speaker system provides incredible power and sound quality
- Comes standard with 7.1 channel support
- Massive subwoofer will rock any house on the block
- A large, bulky system with 8-speakers and no option to go wireless
- An expensive system ($399) if you just want a less basic system
1. VIZIO S4251w-B4 42-Inch 5.1 Channel Sound Bar
The Vizio S4251w-B4 42” sound bar is a unique home theater surround sound system that offers a 4-speaker set, and Bluetooth technology. The three-channel, 42” sound bar will offer crystal clear sound for live events, music, movies, games and much more.
The wireless subwoofer offers thunderous bass and has a range of 60 feet, which means it can be placed anywhere in the room and still be connected via Bluetooth. The system includes Dolby Digital, DTS Circle Surround, DTS Digital Surround, DTS TruVolume and a wireless subwoofer.
- Can be wall-mounted to maximize sound quality and reduce home clutter
- Other than the sound bar, the wireless subwoofer and two satellite speakers are unobtrusive
- Excellent sound quality
- The massive 42” sound bar will be difficult to hide in any room
- Only has 5.1 channel compatibility standard
Which Home Theater Speakers Should You Buy?
So there’s the ten best home stereo systems—what did you think? Some are designed for surround sound, sound use a sound bar to achieve the effect of surround sound, one was a full stereo system (including the receiver) and the Sony bookshelf speakers were the most basic of basics.
Now that we’ve taken a look at some of the best home theater surround sound systems on the market today, the question begs: which is best? My bet? Power, ultimate power.
For my money, I’d go with the Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1 Channel Home Theater Speaker System. It has 7.1 channel support standard and it’s an extremely powerful system: the satellite speakers are 130 watts, the subwoofer is 230-watts and has a full 8-speaker setup.
If you’re a fellow sound-lover, check out the Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1 Channel Home Theater Speaker System. You’ll be glad you did.