GoPro took the world by storm with there cameras meant to catch the most extreme moments in epic quality. These extremely small video recording devices are very resilient and can take a beating, just like the athletes that use them.
If you are looking to add high quality audio tracks to your flawless audio files, you will need to get an external microphone. With GoPro cameras you have a unique plug in port that will not fit your regular microphones without an adapter.
It is, however, possible to solder the correct plug directly into a microphone you already own, but you will no longer be able to use it with any of your other electronics.
You can greatly improve the quality of the sound you record by getting a better microphone and it is also possible to increase the range and mobility, depending on the length of the cable or the type of microphone.
Here are the top 10 best Gopro microphones options in 2017 that should be just what you are looking for.
Table of Contents
- 10. Saramonic Gomic Mini Stereo Microphone
- 9. EasyULT GoPro Microphone
- 8. Bubbles Designs Professional Microphone
- 7. MXL MM-165GP Microphone
- 6. Removu RM-M1+A1 Wireless Microphone
- 5. AxcessAbles Microphone KIT
- 4. VITE 3.5 mm Stereo Microphone
- 3. K&F CM-500 Professional Shotgun Recording Microphone
- 2. Polar Pro Promic Microphone Kit for GoPro
- 1. Movo GM100 Omnidirectional Microphone
- Which GoPro Microphone Should You Buy?
10. Saramonic Gomic Mini Stereo Microphone
The first microphone is the Saramonic Gomic Mini Stereo Microphone. It is specifically designed for the GoPro Hero 4, GoPro Hero3+, and the GoPro Hero3 video cameras. It plugs directly in and improves both the quality and the levels of recorded audio.
It does not have a cable so it must stay right with the camera wherever it goes. You will need no batteries for this 1.1 ounce recording device. It is compact and an excellent choice for most GoPro activities. It is also very inexpensive so you do not have to be broke just to get amazing sound reproduction.
- Better audio quality than the stock microphones.
- Directly plugs into your device with no adapters
- Can not be positioned away from device.
- Popping/clicking sounds have been reported.
9. EasyULT GoPro Microphone
Next up is the Easy ULT GoPro Microphone that is also compatible with the GoPro Hero3, Hero3+, and Hero4. No adapter or batteries are needed to make this work. It has crystal clear sound and a windscreen that helps to lessen the noise of the wind as well as insulate and protect the microphone.
This is another excellent choice if you are looking to capture the sounds of whatever you are recording. Simple, easy to use, and a small price tag all add up to a good purchase.
- No need for any adapters.
- Records Crystal Clear
- Windscreen helps remove noise and protect microphone
- Lapel clip is flimsy
8. Bubbles Designs Professional Microphone
The Bubbles Designs Professional Microphone is designed like a T with a microphone on either side. One records audio for the right channel while the other records for the left. This will make the audio sound like it is all around you.
It is compatible with the GoPro 2, 3, and 4. It is small and durable, great for on the go recording from your GoPro camera. The stereo microphone will give your audio depth and immerse whoever is watching deep into the action.
- T microphone with separate recording channels.
- High quality external microphone
- You will need an adapter to use for the newer models.
7. MXL MM-165GP Microphone
The MXL MM-165GP Microphone has a lot of great features. It is an omni-directional microphone, meaning it will pick up audio from all around you. It plugs directly into the newer GoPro models without the need of an adapter. A five foot cord can be used to position the mic on your shirt or close by. There are two windscreens that help to reduce excess noise that you do not want in your recording.
This is a great little microphone to try out hands free recording with on your new GoPro device. Just tell your camera when you want to start recording and it will begin. Tell it when you want it to stop and it will end.
- Omni-directional microphone
- No need for an adapter
- Five foot cable
- Not much to it
- Would be hard to use if not using the shirt clip
6. Removu RM-M1+A1 Wireless Microphone
The Removu RM-M1+A1 is the first wireless microphone on the list. You can add high quality audio from a distance while recording your audio. You have about forty yards to distance yourself from the camera. It is waterproof, for all your water skiing, boating, and swimming videos.
Use in conjunction with a waterproof camera and you can certainly take some amazing water adventure videos. This is what so many products are missing.
It is powered by a rechargeable lithium battery that will run for more than six hours. A wireless microphone is a great thing to have if you do not want your audio to be tied down to the video. Forty yards is a good distance away from the camera to still be recording audio.
- Wireless device up to forty yards.
- Waterproof to capture great water sports moments.
- Lithium Ion battery to power it.
5. AxcessAbles Microphone KIT
The AxcessAbles ODM-2 Microphone Kit includes both a microphone and an adjustable horse shoe slide. The horse shoe slide allows you to mount another microphone or even a light out of the view of the video recording device.
It has an omni-directional condenser mic with great range and sensitivity. If you are looking to do some really high quality video and audio tracks, the horse shoe slide will help to set up all of your additional equipment.
- Omni-directional condenser mic with good frequency range and sensitivity.
- Included adjustable horse shoe slide makes even better recording possible.
- Cord is to short for and distance use.
4. VITE 3.5 mm Stereo Microphone
The VITE model is another T microphone that records the left and right channels separate. It has a 3.5 mm connection that can not be used with newer GoPro models unless you use the included adapter. This product carries a lifetime warranty which is not something the others have thought to carry.
This small and lightweight microphone is great for someone who is on the move and needs to capture great audio. The price tag will not set you back that far either.
- T design that records two separate channels.
- Lifetime warranty on a product that is made to be abused.
- 3.5mm connection and adapter instead of already built in
3. K&F CM-500 Professional Shotgun Recording Microphone
The K&F CM-500 is one of the highest quality microphones on this list. It uses NCR de-noise pickup technology and the structure is designed to minimize mechanical noises. It can pick up noises twenty meters away while minimizing sound from the rest of the environment. This condenser shotgun mic is unidirectional, which means you point it at what you want to hear.
This kind of microphone is great to hear what is going on where you are pointing the mic. You can even pick out an individual in a crowd and hear what they are saying above all the background noise. This will probably not be a great action microphone because the action is always moving. This microphone is a bit more expensive but has the features and recording quality to back that price tag up.
- Very high quality and does great at removing noise.
- Record something happening twenty meters away.
- Unidirectional mic can be bad for some applications, especially action segments.
- 3.5mm connection that you have to buy an adapter for.
2. Polar Pro Promic Microphone Kit for GoPro
The Polar Pro Microphone Kit is much better than the built in mic on GoPros at capturing audio. There is a removable noise filtering windscreen included as well as an adapter to plug into the newer GoPro models.
No batteries will be used since it is powered by the GoPro camera you have it connected to. This is another good choice for many applications and with such a cheap price tag will be hard to pass up.
- Microphone kid includes the mic, adapter, and windscreen
- No batteries are required for use.
- 3.5mm audio jack with adapter instead of built in connection.
1. Movo GM100 Omnidirectional Microphone
The Movo GM100 is the last microphone on the list. It is compatible with all of the GoPro versions because of the adapter that is included. A windscreen and windmuff both help to improve sound quality by reducing noise.
You will not ever need to buy batteries for this item. A one-year manufacturer warranty is included on this product. This omni-directional microphone is great at capturing voices and can be worn on your shirt collar. Simple design and a small price tag make this a convenient option.
- Very compact and good voice reproduction.
- Windscreen and windmuff included
- 1 Year Manufacturer Warranty
- 3.5mm connection with adapter instead of built in connection.
Which GoPro Microphone Should You Buy?
These are all great products to improve the sound quality of your GoPro videos. Figure out what type of microphone you want and what you will be doing with it. Different types are better for different things.
My personal recommendation is the Removu RM-M1+A1 Wireless Microphone. It is high quality, wireless, and versatile to work well for a wide variety of uses. Pick one up today and start adding high quality, powerful audio to your personal GoPro videos.